Bring wine on board?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Queenmom1947 said:

what are the policies and guidelines for bringing wine on board cruises out of Florida as of 2024? 

You should ask this on the forum for whichever cruise line you will be sailing on.  Different lines have varied policies.  Also, the policies are usually posted on the cruise line web sites FAQ's.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 4

I KNOW Florida doesn’t restrict as is cruise lines issue.  I was hoping someone on this sight would post guidelines or direct to where to find a concise list.   Have cruised numerous lines sone 70’s , had wine taken away at embarking so I wish to avoid in future.    Corkage fee is ridiculous for a $5 bottle of wine and want to avoid it.

20 minutes ago, Queenmom1947 said:

I KNOW Florida doesn’t restrict as is cruise lines issue.  I was hoping someone on this sight would post guidelines or direct to where to find a concise list.   Have cruised numerous lines sone 70’s , had wine taken away at embarking so I wish to avoid in future.    Corkage fee is ridiculous for a $5 bottle of wine and want to avoid it.

It's going to depend on which line you are sailing.

They’re all different. NCL allows as much as you want, $15 a bottle corkage if you don’t have the FAS drink package, no charge if you do. I think RCL allows one bottle per adult 21 or over. I’ve never seen a list with all of the cruise lines policies on wine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Queenmom1947 said:

What might be more ridiculous is a $5 bottle of wine.😳

That said, there are cruise lines that don’t restrict passengers’ bringing personal booze (any amount) onboard. They include most premium and luxury lines. Of course, the booze is meant for in-cabin consumption, though bringing wine to dinner is usually allowed for a “corkage” fee (e.g., $25 on Oceania).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Queenmom1947 said:

Have cruised numerous lines sone 70’s , had wine taken away at embarking so I wish to avoid in future.    Corkage fee is ridiculous for a $5 bottle of wine and want to avoid it.

As you have been told multiple times, you simply need to ask on the forum of the cruise line you will be sailing on. Barring that, their policy will be in the FAQ section of the cruise line's  website. 

Please tell me you don't really drink wine that's $5 a bottle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry to offend any wine connoisseurs but am a person that doesn’t like the tipsy feel of alcohol so mix with lemonade or juice and a bit of water — just enough for flavor and socializing.  I have found numerous wines at Aldi as well as most recently a mixed case of wines at ( huh!) in Missouri.      That’s not recognizing that I have tasted great ones in the past but currently don’t require them

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

The answer is right there on your chosen cruise line website.

No corkage fees on wine bottles that do not leave your cabin .

Some cruise lines charge a corkage fee regardless of where you drink your wine.

One example is NCL and I believe there are others.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, clo said:

Here's something from The Points Guy, a reputable site. But it could change quickly.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-ship-bring-your-own-alcohol-rules/

Why should anyone rely on a third party website's article that is almost a year old.

The official and current rules can be found on cruise line websites. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, clo said:

You managed to quote something you said and somehow it was attributed to me.

Let's assume that you were trying to say that your post acknowledged that the website could be wrong when you said "But it could change quickly. "

That means you knowingly recommended a website that could be wrong. How is that a good idea ? 

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Some cruise lines charge a corkage fee regardless of where you drink your wine.

One example is NCL and I believe there are others.

So how would they know if you're drinking wine in your cabin?

Just now, njhorseman said:

You managed to quote something you said and somehow it was attributed to me.

Let's assume that you were trying to say that your post acknowledged that the website could be wrong when you said "But it could change quickly. "

That means you knowingly recommended a website that could be wrong. How is that a good idea ? 

Oh, good grief. Anything can be outdated. Not wrong. Outdated. I see it on cruise lines sites. Everywhere. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, clo said:

When  you go through the security line if they see bottles in your carry on you will be sent to an adjacent table where you will be given a cabin charge slip to sign for the corkage fee. If your wine or other bottle that appears to  contain alcohol is in your checked luggage you will be summoned to the "naughty room" where you will open your bag in the presence of security. If wine is found you'll be charged for corkage.  If liquor, it will be confiscated and held.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, clo said:

They can see beverages when one tries to take them on board.  Many are not allowed at all.

But some cruise lines will charge the corkage fee at that point, and then you've "already paid" when you drink it in your cabin.

It's not that complicated for them to arrange things the way they wish.

GC

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

When  you go through the security line if they see bottles in your carry on you will be sent to an adjacent table where you will be given a cabin charge slip to sign for the corkage fee. If your wine or other bottle that appears to  contain alcohol is in your checked luggage you will be summoned to the "naughty room" where you will open your bag in the presence of security. If wine is found you'll be charged for corsage.  If liquor, it will be confiscated and held.

I am so glad that I don't have to cruise on those ships. I like the ones where they treat us like adults. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, good grief. Anything can be outdated. Not wrong. Outdated. I see it on cruise lines sites. Everywhere. 

Sure...just recommend using a site that is more likely to be  wrong.

I'll recommend the one that's more likely to be right, thank you.

By the way that website has at least one thing I saw that's wrong but not because it recently changed.  What the site says has never been right for that cruise line.

Edited by njhorseman

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I am so glad that I don't have to cruise on those ships. I like the ones where they treat us like adults. 

Very simply it's typically one of the differences between mass market lines and upmarket/luxury lines. 

You're usually paying more for the latter so you might expect to be treated differently. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I think RCL allows one bottle per adult 21 or over. I’ve never seen a list with all of the cruise lines policies on wine.

I have heard that some people may put two in their checked baggage and carry on an additional two on RCCL.

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Yes, it works well if you have a balcony cabin and enjoy sitting out with a glass of wine in the afternoon/evening - climate dependent of course.

That said, we have brought wine to the main dining room on RCCL and were not charged a corkage fee.  It is either a line dependent policy or we simply had a nice waiter.

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

The answer is right there on your chosen cruise line website.

Wrong!!  You are allowed 1 bottle per person on almost every cruise line except for some high class lines that have no limitations..  Read the wine details on whatever line you are cruising on.  Any more and you pay corkage.  For those who say how would you know remember that they check your carry on stuff when you board the ship.  They will know.

People who complain about corkage fees should try bringing your own wine into a land based restaurant.  You will have to pay a corkage fee there as sale of wine is a major profit center to any restaurant.

An additional point about corkage fee.  The more expensive wine you like to drink the more you save by bringing on your own wine.  Consider 4 options.

Option 1 - you don't want to bring wine on board and you don't want to spend more than $15 on board price for one.  At this shipboard price you are drinking undrinkable swill so don't even bother.

Option 2 - you drink $15 per bottle at home.  This $15 wine will cost at least $30 on the ship.  If you bring the wine on board you will pay $20 corkage fee plus the $15 wine cost for a total of $35 to bring it on versus the cost of $30 if bought on the ship.  You are $5 better of to buy it on the ship.

Option 3 - you drink $25 per bottle at home.  This $25 wine will cost at least $50 on the ship.  If you bring the wine on board you will pay $20 corkage fee plus the $25 wine cost for a total of $45 to bring it on versus the cost of $50 if bought on the ship.  You are $5 better of to buy it on the ship.

Option 4 - you drink $50 per bottle at home.  This $50 wine will cost at least $100 on the ship.  If you bring the wine on board you will pay $20 corkage fee plus the $50 wine cost for a total of $70 to bring it on versus the cost of $100 if bought on the ship.  You are $30 better of to buy it on the ship.

In other words the more expensive the wine the better off you are not buying on the ship.  Also if you are used to buying really good wine at home you will have an educated palate and they might not have a wine that you like on the ship.

Hope this helps.

DON