Princess Plus: Is it wrong to get my 2 daily premium desserts . . .

if I can't finish them?  On the one hand, it's a waste of food.  On the other hand, I paid for them as part of the Princess Plus packages.  Obviously I also paid for the food in the buffet and MDR, but there I would argue that only entitles me to as much as I can eat, not as much as I can take. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

if I can't finish them?  On the one hand, it's a waste of food.  On the other hand, I paid for them as part of the Princess Plus packages.  Obviously I also paid for the food in the buffet and MDR, but there I would argue that only entitles me to as much as I can eat, not as much as I can take. 

And you can ask that for 15 alcoholics drinks per day.

It is your choice.

You’ll get no one judging you on here.

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, dog said:

You’ll get no one judging you on here.

Wait…what?  No judging on here?  When did that start? I think you’ll find there will be plenty of judging on here. It’s just that most of us have learned to ignore those people for whom judging seems to be their #1 favorite cruise activity. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 24

7 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Wait…what?  No judging on here?  When did that start? I think you’ll find there will be plenty of judging on here. It’s just that most of us have learned to ignore those people for whom judging seems to be their #1 favorite cruise activity. 

Joke

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

I'm sure I won't order two desserts every day because I would probably eat them, and that would be bad, waistwise.  But I still think it's an ethical conundrum.

Let’s say I order a drink made with bourbon because I’m not sure I like bourbon. Turns out I don’t. Do I have to finish the drink?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Let’s say I order a drink made with bourbon because I’m not sure I like bourbon. Turns out I don’t. Do I have to finish the drink?

I don't think Jean-Paul Sartre ever wrestled with this question;  me, I'd say no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

You paid for it, even if it was "included" in your package.  It's yours to do as you wish.  🙂

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

If a debate can be had about ordering two Special Desserts on the Plus Package knowing that neither will be finished, what, oh what do we do about the Premium Package?  Can the same ethics debate be fashioned about ordering 10 or 20 knowing that all will be wasted, lest they be "waisted." 

One of the beauties of the Packages is affording the ability to experiment.  Try new things.  Take chances.  Widen one's field of vision.  If you've heard about that new Gin that is marketed and sold by some Hip-Hop artist but have never tried it, use one of your 15 drinks and give it a try.  If it tastes like dish water, don't drink it.  Order something else.  That is not being wasteful. It is being adventurous.  On the other hand, if it is 11:45 p.m. and you have only had 10 drinks that day and are ready to call it a night, ordering 5 more only to pour them down the drain would be ethically challenged in my book.  "But I paid for them" is not a good enough reason. Such waste seems spiteful.   

16 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

So, do I order the small filet that I might finish or do I order the New York that I know I won’t finish? I decided to order what I like. I am paying for it, so why not? New York steak it is!

As to the above, this falls under the category of "luxuriating" which is what the vacation is all about.  If I like something twice as much as something else, but can only consume 75% of it, I can still get it if it raises my endorphin level.  Vacations should be a tad (or more) hedonistic.  Doing things that make you feel good are not wasteful.  This would apply to the 2 Special Desserts as much as it applies to the steak. Besides, as to the steak, there is a workaround.  Order a bottle of wine to go with your NY Strip.  Finish the bottle of wine.  Stuff your uneaten pieces of steak into the now-empty bottle, put the cork back in it and give it to your servers and tell them that you would like them to store the bottle overnight and bring it back to you tomorrow. What they don't know...😁 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

We were at the suite lounge (on the Caribbean) and my travel mate ordered a drink.  It was much stronger than she had expected.  The look on her face said it all.  The server came back almost immediately and asked if she would like to order something else.  

I am a believer of being able to experiment..... in moderation.....  Usually one and done (including the "specialty desserts).  Could not find a favorite go to drink in 16 days.  But....I am not a drinker either.  

Would I try all 12 ice cream sundaes?  No, one was enough.  Did I try all 3 cakes?  No, shared 2 (and won't have to do that again either).  Did I go outside my comfort zone for drinks?  No...I'm just boring.

I am sure this thread was started in jest.  But brings up some interesting "newbie" etiquette.  It took me many cruises to realize/learn that I didn't have to eat everything that was served to me.  

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

@Silverspringcruiser no it’s not wrong if you wish to have 2 premium desserts per day on your cruise. Most passengers are one & done that I have seen post about it ,especially with the “ sundaes”. Some have enjoyed the ginormous cake slices ( 3 flavors),but I have NOt heard that most passengers can’t wait to have any of them or are craving these desserts.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

My wife tried one of the sundaes and one of the cakes. That was it. She said the cake wasn't very good. The sundae was about as one would expect. I've never tried either one of them and am just fine with that. (We sailed for 63 days on Grand Princess last year and I probably only ordered  dessert maybe 10 times.)

I love dessert let me just say it out loud but those ice cream concoctions are more carnival ride for effect than dessert….now don’t get me started on the soufflé!!!

• Like 2

I see no reason why a passenger wouldn't order a specialty ice cream dessert and then later the specialty cake dessert from I.C.  We'll have the package in March and I fully intend having ONE ice cream dessert for the "photo" but intend trying the cakes over the 20 days.

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yes!  You have to order 2 at a time!  😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tinawhitecar said:

You could offer to treat someone in line who doesn’t have the package.  

Hmmmm... One is not allowed to share the drink package. I wonder if I was to share the dessert benefit if I would be lucky and get "cut off" and not allowed more desserts? 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2