What's the latest I could exit the ship? Which of these flights would you choose?

Stockjock

Taking the GF on Sirena for a milestone birthday.  This would be our first cruise on Oceania.

Looking at flights home to the west coast, which I'd be booking on my own.  The ship arrives in Miami at 8 am.

A. Is an 11:15 am flight that has one stop, connecting for about an hour.  I think we could make this flight, but correct me if I'm wrong.

B Is a 4:30 pm flight, nonstop.

If I pick B, I'd have to kill about 6 hours in the MIA airport.  I think I could use the Amex Centurion Lounge for 3 of those 6 hours.  Because I'd have a lot of time on my side, I'd probably want to stay on the ship for longer, if possible.

So what's the latest I could likely get off the ship?

Which flight would you choose, A or B?

I would take the conservative option, later flight, nonstop.  Allows ample time for unexpected delays.  You'll eliminate the anxiety of making the flight, TSA issues, and competing with the many hundreds of pax who are in a big hurry to get to MIA.  Navigating that huge airport can be daunting.

Since you have the Amex Plat card, the Centurion Lounge would be a fine place to relax, eat, drink, catch up on business/personal tasks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s been my experience that checking luggage is only allowed 4 hours before departure. Airport lounges I’ve seen are past security & unless you only have carryon bags, you couldn’t go to a lounge until checking bags & going through security.

We arrive in Miami later this year & felt uncomfortable about making a late morning one-stop flight to LAX. Instead we booked a 3:50 PM non-stop which recently was changed to 1:45 PM in a larger plane so we’re happy.

A few months ago, I asked on this board about Miami post cruise options & received helpful info including as ‘baser’ wrote having an O tour & transfer to MIA.

I located my previous thread which might be helpful for you.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

I would take the conservative option, later flight, nonstop.  Allows ample time for unexpected delays.  You'll eliminate the anxiety of making the flight, TSA issues, and competing with the many hundreds of pax who are in a big hurry to get to MIA.  Navigating that huge airport can be daunting.

Since you have the Amex Plat card, the Centurion Lounge would be a fine place to relax, eat, drink, catch up on business/personal tasks.

I'm leaning in that direction, plus less of a chance of losing luggage or having layover/weather issues.

We always prefer the later flight, taking are time to get of the ship.  They want you off around 9AM, however by time you get off the ship, look for you're bags, go thought customs and get your car/taxi you've use up some time.

I concur with the above advice, plus I am not fond of the Miami airport for ease of use. I really dislike rushing on embarkation day...kinda puts a damper on the vacation vibe. This is what I recommend:

You need to be out of your room by 8 am (luggage is picked up the night before) and off the ship by 9 am (sign up for the last group at usually 8:45 am). Have a leisurely morning prep and eat a slow breakfast (either room service or Terrace/GDR), then go to Baristas for an espresso and a last canele (yum!) while you wait for your group to be called.

When I was in Miami the O-tour was cancelled due to lack of sign-ups. There are plenty of private tours that will pick up at the port, so I'd find one that will also take luggage or hire a car service for a couple of hours and do a DIY tour (South Beach art deco, Little Havana, etc.); if you have a TA they may have suggestions.

Take the non-stop afternoon flight, enjoy an in-flight dinner (OK, sad attempt at humor there), and still get home at a decent hour...the end of a (hopefully) relaxing last day of vacation.

• Like 1

In a perfect world option A is easily done. Since we don’t live in a perfect world I’d do option B. So many things can happen. 

• Like 1

I too am considering my first Oceania cruise and have exactly the opposite problem🙂

The cruise I am looking at would mean me getting a 2200hrs flight .. not good when you are off the ship by 0900hrs.

However the last port is an overnight and I was considering asking  if I could disembark the day before which would allow me to remain onboard until a more suitable time.  I wonder how   cooperative they would be given 12 months notice? 

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I too am considering my first Oceania cruise and have exactly the opposite problem🙂

The cruise I am looking at would mean me getting a 2200hrs flight .. not good when you are off the ship by 0900hrs.

However the last port is an overnight and I was considering asking  if I could disembark the day before which would allow me to remain onboard until a more suitable time.  I wonder how   cooperative they would be given 12 months notice? 

From what I understand, if you let them know ahead of time, there should be no problem getting off early.  I believe you have to let the ship know.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

FYI—the Amex lounge now charges $50 for you to bring a guest.  Between that and the three-hour limit it’s not much of a benefit. 

I got a free authorized user card for my GF, so we both get in free.  The authorized user version is also a Platinum Card.

Even 3 hours can come in handy.  A bit over a week ago, I used the basic United Lounge and it was a good place to relax for a bit.  I've also used the showers on longer flights, and that can be super refreshing, although I won't use that domestically.

Edited by Stockjock

Interesting. I didn’t get the companion card for my husband because the Amex website says you don’t get lounge access. I hope it works for you! My issue with the three hour limit is that when you have a major flight delay, that’s when you really need the lounge. And, you don’t get to chose the three hour slot— it’s three hours from your flight time. Just annoyed the heck out of me!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Twocoasts said:

Interesting. I didn’t get the companion card for my husband because the Amex website says you don’t get lounge access. I hope it works for you! My issue with the three hour limit is that when you have a major flight delay, that’s when you really need the lounge. And, you don’t get to chose the three hour slot— it’s three hours from your flight time. Just annoyed the heck out of me!

I work for a big Wall Street firm.  To clarify, on our version of the card, adding an authorized user to the account is free, and they too receive an Amex Platinum card.  On most, if not all, other versions of an Amex Platinum card, adding an authorized user is $195 per year.  I got the GF the one with flowers on it, as she thought it was "pretty".

She doesn't actually use it to charge anything, but we do use it for lounge access.  She also got her own Priority Pass.

We do rebate the cost of the card to certain clients, but there are restrictions so it's not truly free.  But I do get the rebate and play by the same rules and restrictions as non-employee customers.

IMG_6623-2.jpeg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Absolutely no problem..I have gotten off at 3:am to catch a 6:am flight

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

The authorized user must present his/her card along with yours in order to gain access to the lounge.  The AO is not able to use the lounge as a guest.

The Platinum card holder is able to access the lounge for a guest several times each year for "free", meaning a credit shows up on your card.

Just now, SATaxman said:

The Platinum card holder is able to access the lounge for a guest several times each year for "free", meaning a credit shows up on your card.

i believe the rules have changed.  If you have charged $75,000 per year, you are allowed to guest 2 persons.  If not the cost is $50 per guest unless the guest has an auxiliary card.

• Like 2

I also live in SD and I've done the earlier flight...but once I almost didn't make it!!! What airline are you flying? American has a flight ..not non stop that leaves around 1:30 or SD..maybe check that out? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SATaxman said:

No longer IME. Only way I know of to avoid the fee us to charge $75,000 per year on the card, then you can bring a guest at no charge for the remainder of current year and all of the next.

Edited by edgee

11 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

8 hours ago, JRIH said:

From what I understand, if you let them know ahead of time, there should be no problem getting off early.  I believe you have to let the ship know.

Not knowing the port for the overnight, could clearing immigration/customs be an issue when disembarking a day before the end of a cruise?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd go with the earlier flight. Miami is one of those ports where you're very close (9 miles away) to the airport. People on other cruise lines routinely walk their luggage off and make early flights. Don't rely on the Oceania shuttle (unless it's somehow free for you, and maybe not even then). Get an Uber or take a taxi, they'll be waiting for you when you disembark. You'll probably be sitting at the gate by 10, maybe earlier.

Edited by MisterBill99

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Twocoasts said:

That is not correct.  if you pay the $175 for the Authorized User card, that Authorized User has Centurion Lounge Access regardless of whether or not the Cardholder is present.  If the Card if from a Commercial Entity such as Delta or Hilton, etc,.the companion card will not grant you access.

My spouse has an Authorized User card on my Platinum Card and has always been granted access.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri