No more Simply More

Jancruz

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’m doubtful this affects already booked cruises under SM. There is a thing called a contract. Guessing it will apply to new bookings.

I’ll wait for the details.

I believe it is new bookings only after 9/30..unless you want to switch to gratuities

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

your 2nd gratuites will be $250 obc

Jancruz1

So the 250 OBC you indicated in post #7 was only applicable if you are already getting prepaid gratuities as part of the loyalty program? If that is the case, then this change will give you prepaid gratuities only and you would no longer get any drink package and excursion credits on new bookings starting October 1. If that is the case this is a pretty big change.  

• Like 3

I sorta get a kick at how upset people were when they started SM.  And now people are upset when it disappears.

I guess the only constant is that no matter what you do, people will be unhappy. 

It should be pretty obvious,  as long as O (or any travel related business) has high occupancy,  prices will increase and benefits will decrease.   When bookings drop, prices will level off and benefits with increase.  There are multiple reports of "travel fatigue" in the financial news so maybe this is a way to lower to perceived cost without lowering revenue?  It's a bit silly to be upset by speculation.   Wait until there are details available and then make the choice as to whether it fits your style of vacation.   

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

In the states you will get $250 OBC not sure about Europe

Jancruz1

If you are from a region where gratuities are already included in the published price, plus you are silver level, what will happen in that case ?
Thanks.

Edited by Tranquility Base

4 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

If you are from a region where gratuities are already included in the published price, plus you are silver level, what will happen in that case ?
Thanks.

The 2nd grats turn into $250 per cabin

Jancruz1

8 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

A full detailed public release will be published tomorrow

Jancruz1

Jan-

You're such a treasure to have on the board.

One last question before I go into my waiting mode for tomorrow's deatils:

For example, at silver, the is a loyalty OBC of $250 per cabin.  Is the "2nd grats" of $250 per cabin in addition to the loyalty OBC of $250?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

The 2nd grats turn into $250 per cabin

Jancruz1

Thanks.

So, that is already what happens as of  now.

( for those booking as per my example in post # 31 )

So, no change regarding that aspect.

Edited by Tranquility Base

30 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Jan-

You're such a treasure to have on the board.

One last question before I go into my waiting mode for tomorrow's deatils:

For example, at silver, the is a loyalty OBC of $250 per cabin.  Is the "2nd grats" of $250 per cabin in addition to the loyalty OBC of $250?

Yes I understand it is..and thanks for such a nice compliment

Jancruz1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

So at least that group will be happy

I doubt it. If, as stated, the prices are going to remain as at present, which includes drink and ship's excursions,  they will still effectively be paying those things. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

So if it goes back to a purchased package, They are going back to less for the same price.

Yes, effectively this is a massive price increase. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

This will be fun for the staff. On upcoming cruises you may find OLifers, SMers, and SLers all together! 😂

So true.  We have a legacy OLife this December, an SM in December of 2025, and an SM in March/April of 2026

Jan,

Thank you for your contributions.

My question is:  I have a cruise book in March, for which i only have a deposit down. Final payment is after October 1.  Would I be able o drop Simply More for that cruise and get the $250 for grats?

Thanks for your help.

Terri

There is a bit of dark humor in all of this. For those with a bit of history on this Board, back in the ole OLife days people were often chided for taking the OBC option under OLife! Paying money upfront for non refundable OBC was often ridiculed. Why not just wait and pay for what you buy? Why pay upfront?

I’ll patiently wait until tomorrow to get the actual details, but as presented by Jancruz it appears Oceania wants you to pay 150 days in advance for non refundable OBC under the Simply Less scheme ! Here’s how the joke is on the cruiser. If you cancel the cruise late, Oceania gets to keep the OBC you paid for , as part of the cruise price, and advanced to them! Humor for the day! 🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’m doubtful this affects already booked cruises under SM. There is a thing called a contract. Guessing it will apply to new bookings.

I’ll wait for the details.

I agree with you, I wouldn't think "O" would take something away once booked unless they gave you an offer (which you should be able to say except or decline). 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

This will be fun for the staff. On upcoming cruises you may find OLifers, SMers, and SLers all together! 😂

I had just wondered about that. 🙂

• Like 1

This is so amusing - when SM was introduced there was endless speculation and hand wringing, up to the time of actual facts, of how awful O was and how they are trying to rip off the customer.  Then after SM implemented, there was endless complaining on how they don't drink and don't take excursions so it was Simple Less not Simply More. and would NEVER sail O again..now apparently O has listened to the complainers and is removing SM and, guess what, more gnashing teeth and wringing hands and "this will be the last time I sail on O

Why doesn't everyone wait until the details of the program are announced and then decide if they fit their personal cruising style.....the endless speculation is ridiculous!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, basor said:

Why doesn't everyone wait until the details of the program are announced and then decide if they fit their personal cruising style.....the endless speculation is ridiculous!

If you don't like the "speculation" tune out. We already have enough credible information to have some discussion. I just turned "silver" and recently completed a 25 night cruise at PH level. I already know that had the new "no more SM" been in effect under same pricing I would have theoretically lost at least $250 in value with having tips included and getting just $250 in OBC as a replacement. Also would have lost beer and wine with meals and excursion credit. In principle I love that the SM excursion credit is going away because the restrictions on it caused resentment and confusion. So cruising with Oceania will now be more expensive, period. We will see how they do in the marketplace with their new higher pricing/less value scheme.

• Like 2

Obviously, the shore excursion credit wasn’t very popular but I doubt that after its removal along with the free drinks the prices will go down as well. But as it was mentioned better to wait ( until tomorrow? ) when we know the details. We book our cruises not based on the inclusions but rather on the overall value to be able to cruise where we’d like. And with included gratuities the O loyalty program will still remain a valuable proposition. It’s interesting how it all will play out.

• Like 2

I’m glad I booked my upcoming (first) Oceania cruise with Simply More. I would have paid for the drink package and the shore excursion credit just about covered the excursions we would have booked anyway. I just found out about the gratuities charge but it’s less than $200. p/p so I should still come out ahead. 

• Like 1