Oh, boy...yet another tipping topic. But this one's slightly different.

We're doing a Med cruise next week and we're planning on bringing almost zero US dollars along for the ride. Our plan is to give any additional tips to ship's crew in euros. In speaking with a few people recently, their opinion is that the crew would rather have US dollars than euros. (I know $2.00 are rumored to be popular). Our only other Med cruise was a TA, which ended in New York...so giving dollars made more sense on that one.

However, for this cruise I tend to disagree, since on a Med cruise, euros would be just as valuable...if not more valuable...to crew if they get off in ports. And since the ship will have several European itineraries following ours, it seems to make sense.

Thoughts from experienced Europe cruisers?

I think you really just want to brag that you're going to the Med next week. Take me along. Please!!!! 

I am so not an experienced European cruiser, so take my words for what they are (which is nothing valuable). When we traveled from Barcelona to NYC, we had leftover Euros. We tipped the crew in the leftover Euros. Now, we were giving money to folx, so maybe they were just being polite, but gosh it seemed they were very happy to receive the tip. Benefit - we had no Euros left to change. Staff received tips. Regardless what others say, I think it was a win-win. Since you're in the Med (ooooolalala), I say tip all you want in Euros!! 

• Like 2

I think you are fine with either (I know, not much help). Euros are going to cost you more to purchase with the exchange rate. Most of the funds get sent home so it's not like they are being spent in port, at least not a large portion. Whatever you decide, I know the money will be appreciated by the crew.

• Like 2

We always tip in the onboard currency when onboard. For Europe and NZ/Oz that's been US dollar. We bring a stack of US singles and other bills after estimating what we'll need. Just my experience - 3 European cruises (another on the books for November), a TA NYC-Southampton, and one Sydney-Auckland.

Some crew members don't have much of a chance to get off the ship (room stewards with 16 hour work days, as one example).  So US dollars would be better.  And if it's at the end of the Mediterranean season and the ship changes itinerary, also not a good idea to tip in Euros.  But any tip is certainly appreciated.

US Dollars-- most put very little into their onboard accounts and send the rest home to family.  Easier for the ship's accounting office to convert US Dollars into whatever the employee's home country currency is.

We usually tip in dollars, mainly because I find notes easier to deal with than coins. However, I sometimes use Euros if I don’t have dollars to hand.

I did once ask a bartender on a European sailing if he had any preference and he said not particularly, but as a Euro is worth more than a dollar that is obviously an advantage.

We tip in Euros when cruising in Europe.we tip in dollars when cruising stateside.I know the crew is able to get off in some ports to shop. I figure they can more easily  use the currency of the country we are cruising.

Edited by Mommapadraig
  • Like 2

why not purchase Walmart gift cads instead?  When I ask crew members what they are going to do if they get the chance to get off ship while in port, almost all of them say " We are going to Walmart to pick up needed personal essentials".  Some even say the cruise line has a shuttle bus to drop/pick up.  I know not every country has a Walmart ( or a Walmart owned store) but eventually they will be in a port that has one. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think you really just want to brag that you're going to the Med next week. Take me along. Please!!!! 

We'd love to have you join us...except I know you can't get time off from work. 😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

why not purchase Walmart gift cads instead?  When I ask crew members what they are going to do if they get the chance to get off ship while in port, almost all of them say " We are going to Walmart to pick up needed personal essentials".  Some even say the cruise line has a shuttle bus to drop/pick up.  I know not every country has a Walmart ( or a Walmart owned store) but eventually they will be in a port that has one. 

Walmart gift cards are good in the US.... thats it

Just give dollars. Most crew members put tips into their accounts and then send money back to their families

I really don't think it matters to the crew.  But, I prefer not to pay to convert money if I don't have to. I would bring whatever I expected to tip in US and if you cruise is at the end of the trip, then use any remaining euros first.

The ships work in US dollars, the crew salary is in US dollars, the crew accounts are in US dollars, the money sent home by crew is in US dollars.  Seeing the trend?  And, if you give Euros in cash, when the crew turn it in to the Purser for addition to their account, they will get charged a transaction fee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Remember the minimum euro note is 5 euro. The 1 and 2 euros are coins, and it makes harder (or impossible) for the crew to exchange euro coins.

Therefore, stick with paper notes. I remember seeing somewhere that the $2 US notes aren't as easy to exchange in foreign banks as the other notes. 

11 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Therefore, stick with paper notes. I remember seeing somewhere that the $2 US notes aren't as easy to exchange in foreign banks as the other notes. 

Yes, the desirability of $2 notes is an urban myth.  Heck, even stores in the US sometimes balk at taking them.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a Walmart in Europe. Here in the UK they own a supermarket chain (Asda), but even there a Walmart gift card with a dollar balance would not be any use.

If you tip a crew member in Europe with Walmart gift cards they may not be able to use them for many months (or maybe not at all if their contract ends before the ship next visits the US).

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The ships work in US dollars, the crew salary is in US dollars, the crew accounts are in US dollars, the money sent home by crew is in US dollars.  Seeing the trend?  And, if you give Euros in cash, when the crew turn it in to the Purser for addition to their account, they will get charged a transaction fee.

It would certainly be a problem if they were only receiving tips in Euros, but the occasional person tipping Euros will give some spending money when ashore.

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

We're doing a Med cruise next week and we're planning on bringing almost zero US dollars along for the ride. Our plan is to give any additional tips to ship's crew in euros. In speaking with a few people recently, their opinion is that the crew would rather have US dollars than euros. (I know $2.00 are rumored to be popular). Our only other Med cruise was a TA, which ended in New York...so giving dollars made more sense on that one.

However, for this cruise I tend to disagree, since on a Med cruise, euros would be just as valuable...if not more valuable...to crew if they get off in ports. And since the ship will have several European itineraries following ours, it seems to make sense.

Thoughts from experienced Europe cruisers?

The currency of the ship is US dollars for passengers and crew. 

Euros are only useful if the crew have time and decide to go ashore (vs sleep or daily chores like doing laundry). Otherwise, they would need to exchange the Euros for US dollars (at the ships’s crummy exchange rate) to pay for day-to-day items. 

Any money is appreciated. In any currency. It’s just a matter of maximizing the benefit to the crew. 

BTW: in some cultures, $2 is bad luck.