Princess Cruise Ft. Lauderdale Hotel?

I am really picky when it comes to hotels and have no idea where to stay for an upcoming cruise. I did just ask my friend for a recommendation but I would like to ask all of you too. Where do you stay in Fort Lauderdale the night before a cruise? Bonus points if there are shuttles, but I am most concerned with cleanliness. Thank you all so much. 

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I am really picky when it comes to hotels and have no idea where to stay for an upcoming cruise. I did just ask my friend for a recommendation but I would like to ask all of you too. Where do you stay in Fort Lauderdale the night before a cruise? Bonus points if there are shuttles, but I am most concerned with cleanliness. Thank you all so much. 

If you are sailing Princess, there's a decent chance you will sail from Terminal 2 off Eisenhower Blvd. The usual hotel recommendations here on CC, which come up very often, are the Hyatt Place, the Hilton Marina and our favorite, the Renaissance.  All three are on 17th St and are among the closest to Eisenhower. The Embassy Suites is also on 17th, but some of the recent reviews aren't overly inspiring.  AFAIK, all three of these have paid shuttles (the HP and Renaissance certainly do), but taxi or Uber tend to be easier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I always stay at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th street. It's just a few minutes from the pier. They have a shuttle service available. There are lots of restaurants around for dinner. Embassy suites includes the happy hour and a very nice breakfast. There is also a Publix and Total Wine basically next door where you can pick up pre-cruise supplies. 

This post may be moved to the hotel port section.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hilton Marina - treat it as a B2B - one day at the Hilton, then board the ship the next day.

drive down

Lunch at Southport Raw Bar

check in when we can

marina view room

go to pool bar around 5-6 - app and drink(s) - $20 dining credit used real quick

next morning - check out - Walgreens as needed - parking garage around 10:00am after dropping off bag(s) - 15 minutes max from Hilton to standing at security

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Hilton Marina - treat it as a B2B - one day at the Hilton, then board the ship the next day.

drive down

Lunch at Southport Raw Bar

check in when we can

marina view room

go to pool bar around 5-6 - app and drink(s) - $20 dining credit used real quick

next morning - check out - Walgreens as needed - parking garage around 10:00am after dropping off bag(s) - 15 minutes max from Hilton to standing at security

Yes to all, but I prefer the port view rooms.  And I like direct access to the water taxis.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 1emerald1 said:

Yes to all, but I prefer the port view rooms.  And I like direct access to the water taxis.

we used to get a high tower view room - looking at the bridge, port, water taxi, etc - but it also over looked all the construction going on, and on , and on

it's been 2 years now for us ... so not sure

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, voljeep said:

we used to get a high tower view room - looking at the bridge, port, water taxi, etc - but it also over looked all the construction going on, and on , and on

it's been 2 years now for us ... so not sure

The rooms I get are directly across from the cruise port. I love sitting on the balcony watching the ships come and go.  And I get a room on the 14th floor, so no view obstructions at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After trying many different hotels in FL over the years, we have settled on the Riverside on Las Olas Blvd. It's more expensive, but the location is close to lots of great restaurants, bars and shops. And it backs onto the river.

Edited by commodoredave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've sailed out of Port Everglades twice, once getting there in my own vehicle, and once flying in early the day before and renting a car for the day.  That means I wasn't restricted to hotels close to the port, and further away the prices are lower.  I tend to stay at Marriott-branded ones, and you can search on their app for decent hotels/prices.  (Check the user reviews; one or two bad ones out of hundreds isn't bad, but I tend to stay away from hotels with recent negative reviews that have the same complaint.)  I ended up about 30 minutes away at the Courtyard Weston (I had stayed there the previous fall, and one of the employees remembered me.)

For the one time flying/renting a car, I returned the vehicle to the airport return center, and then walked over to Concourse A, where Uber/Lyft/Taxis are available. While walking to the Uber pickup location, a lady with a Princess sign came walking the other way.  I said I was sailing and she directed me to the bus shuttle with which they contract.  It was easy, but I had to wait a while for other flights to get there, and to stop at other concourses, so the Uber would have been faster (and, IIRC, slightly cheaper.)

Of course, this doesn't work if you don't have a vehicle, or the selected hotel doesn't have an airport shuttle.  You can still Uber, but it'll be more expensive.  (Both to the hotel and then to the port.)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

After trying many different hotels in FL over the years, we have settled on the Riverside on Las Olas Blvd. It's more expensive, but the location is close to lots of great restaurants, bars and shops. And it backs onto the river.

Got a free upgrade when checking in last May after we agreed to sign up to their loyalty program. Stayed for 2 nights.  Have it booked again for next March for another 2 nights. Highly recommend it.  Terrific location.  Had dinner right next to the river in the hotel’s restaurant and enjoyed watching boats traverse up and down as we dined.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We stayed at the Hyatt Centric on Las Olas Blvd. in the high-end area of Fort Lauderdale. The bed at the Hyatt was the most comfortable one I've encountered. The hotel was very clean, and the Front Desk has discount coupons for nearby restaurants. A short walk away is the YOLO restaurant which was excellent. 

There is also a free water shuttle which does a half-hour loop on the inland waterway in front of the hotel. We rode it around (twice) among the yachts after dinner. Really pleasant!

LauderGO! Water Trolley | City of Fort Lauderdale, FL

The next morning, we took a taxi ride down Las Olas Blvd. to the beach and back, before going to the ship. The area's vibe reminded me of Beverly Hills, Ca. but with an ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My very favorite is Lago Mar.  No shuttles, but a cab will get you to the port in ten minutes.  Not close to shops or restaurants unless you have a car.   Their dining rooms are fantastic, and they have a wonderful buffet breakfast. Family owned, right on the beach.  Ask for a room where you can see the ships come in. in the morning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We have done Embassy Suites 17th St. on a couple of occasions now...very satisfied.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

One man's idea of cleanliness could be another's idea of a mess.

I'd red eye it. 

We’ve already purchased our flights. Booking the hotel is the last thing that we need to do before our cruise. 

• Like 1

Some of these recommended are a higher budget.  

It depends on what you are looking for.

Hyatt Place Cruise Port.  ( close to that Embassy Suites) Excellent shuttle service.  Walk over to Publix for anything you need.  Restaurants within walking distance.

It is an older Hotel, but should be clean enough.  

Unless your dates are blocked out, book on Value Trips.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I see the Renaissance on the map. I will look for the Boathouse. Lago Mar? 

The Boathouse is behind the Renaissance- nice restaurant.

Lago Mar is old Lauderdale on beach, tucked away view of ships. Free parking for rental car during stay. Great buffet breakfast & nice dinner. My 2 favs. But October & March are very expensive right now. I booked a year ago.

• Thanks 1

In June, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Airport/Cruiseport, which was literally across the street from the port's vehicle entrance.  The hotel was wonderful and we walked about a block to a fantastic pizza place for dinner.  They do offer a paid shuttle, which some in our group used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Some of these recommended are a higher budget.  

It depends on what you are looking for.

Hyatt Place Cruise Port.  ( close to that Embassy Suites) Excellent shuttle service.  Walk over to Publix for anything you need.  Restaurants within walking distance.

It is an older Hotel, but should be clean enough.  

Unless your dates are blocked out, book on Value Trips.

No insult intended, but saying its an older hotel, but should be clean enough, does not inspire me at all.

• Haha 3

I've stayed at almost all of the properties listed and they are fine.  I've always gone with the one that had the most reasonable rate.  It's just one night after all.  None of the Port Everglades hotels are new.  They are a decade old or older.  TBH, the Holiday Inn Express was my favorite for the price.  The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort and Spa, which is on the beach, is newly renovated and very clean.  It's also very expensive.  We went to a wedding held at one of their ballrooms and stayed a few nights before our cruise.  A cab to Celebrity's terminal was $15, probably cheaper to Princess' Terminal 2.

It's the tropics so if there are roaches, don't be surprised; nothing a shoe or a slipper can't kill.

• Haha 2

In late June, our room at the Hyatt Centric, Las Olas was $212. They have 238 rooms, and it opened in 2020. I would definitely stay there again. We considered the Riverside Hotel as well, but it was under renovation. We all absolutely loved the area, and it became one of our two favorite ports along with Quebec City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1