Ear-splitting volume on ocean cruises

jsn55

I'm starting to think of my next ocean cruise.  I prefer river cruises in Europe, but the cost of air is getting out of control, so I'd rather leave from a US port.  I pick an itinerary first and look at the mass-market cruiselines, keeping a keen eye out on cost and solo supplement waivers.  My last two ocean cruises were not as enjoyable as they might have been because I didn't attend any of the entertainment.  I didn't want to be caught in the theatre when it darkens and we are blasted out of our seats with sound.  Around the pool, in the lounges and other public spaces, the noise is just overwhelming.  The cruise director is screaming, and the music is deafening.  I love to see people having fun, but noise is not the only criteria for having a good time.  When I was walking the deck on Crown Princess in August, often 9 or10 in the mornings, there were always movies on, and the volume was ridiculously loud.  Nobody was watching whatever was on the screen.  I've sailed NCL and Princess most recently.  Are there some cruiselines you can recommend who don't blast audio 24/7 in the public areas and in the theatre?  I really would like to enjoy some evening shows and whatever.  

49 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Are there some cruiselines you can recommend who don't blast audio 24/7 in the public areas and in the theatre?  I really would like to enjoy some evening shows and whatever.  

Here's part of the problem... wanting evening shows and whatever...

Some of the "quieter" ships won't have the same level of entertainment, and I mean that in both ways: sound level, but also amount/quality level.

And some of those ships/lines will be more expensive, although there is still quite a range of prices, if you don't need a large suite or such.

We could help a bit about the peace and quiet, but we'd be mostly clueless about major entertainment, as that's not our thing.

So it depends upon just what you are trying to find.  Others could then help a bit more.

GC

52 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Try something more upscale . Oceania, Azamara, Viking, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea.

The minute after I posted this I realized that avoiding the mass market ships is the key.  I love Cunard's Queen Victoria and will check out all of these too.  Thanks, everybody!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jsn55 said:

The minute after I posted this I realized that avoiding the mass market ships is the key.  I love Cunard's Queen Victoria and will check out all of these too.  Thanks, everybody!

You don't want to be attracted to party boats but lines with a certain different approach like Regents and Cunard to name a few.  Not what is called Mega ships.

We've been attracted to Cunard and once HAL and never regretted. Looking forward to our next one in several months and there after.

• Like 1

my travel partner wads up pieces of napkins to insert in his ear during the shows.  As for the pool deck, if it's too loud, I find another place to lay in the sun ( or wad up pieces of napkins to put in my ears).  Personally, sometimes Im glad the Movies Under The Stars are loud, I have a hard time understanding what they are saying even when watching at home with a normal sound level.  They are also loud, so folks will stop and look and see what is playing, then make sit down and watch ( I saw Little Mermaid, the remake, that way...I NEVER would have watched that..wasn't too bad).

59 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You mentioned preferring river cruises, but being put off by the cost of airfare to Europe. Have you considered a river cruise in the United States?

We did American Cruiselines cruise up the East Coast several years ago.  I've never experienced such incompetence anywhere.  I will be checking out Viking tho.

We agree with much of what the OP has posted, in that many cruise lines do suffer from a glut of manmade noise!  And it is true, that if cruising on Princess one normally will encounter constant blasting "noise" from the pool deck MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) system.  On other lines, it is not uncommon to have too loud music blasting in atriums, on deck, etc.  For many younger folks (and even some older passengers) the loud blasting "noise" is a good thing.  For those of us who prefer a quieter environment, a solution can be a challenge.  On Princess ships, for example, DW and I will usually find deck loungers on a forward area of the upper decks in places that are almost out of range of the MUTS speakers.  On lines where they blast music in the atrium, we try to avoid the atrium.  I have also been known to sometimes wear my noise cancelling Bose earphones::).

It is true, that most of the small ship luxury lines do not blast "noise" thoughout the ship.  And if they have the volume turned up too high, a quiet comment to the cruise director can usually get fast results.  On the mass market lines it can be another story.  A few years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise where the music blasted in many indoor areas of the ship as well as on the pool deck.  I had a friendly discussion with the Hotel Manager (who we knew from prior voyages) who noted our complaint but also mentioned that the constant music was simply company policy.  Really?  Funny that although we are Elite Plus on Celebrity, we have never returned to that line since that particular cruise.  

I will add that we just returned from a few weeks on a Seabourn cruise (our favorite cruise line) where noise pollution was not much of a problem.  But even on Seabourn, we heard some folks complain that the volume was too high in the main showroom (during shows).

Hank

eh,, old people tend to find something (anything) to complain about no matter the environment. Whether it's the Ritz Carleton or Motel 6. Jean - Georges in NYC or McDonalds in Times Square. Hairy chest contest on the lido deck of Carnival Fantasy or the main theater on Seabourn.

That's okay though. We just have to remember a few things that older people are experiencing. Things like physical decline, emotional challenges, changes in independence, cognitive changes, generational differences, and perspective. I guess we all hope to live long enough to get cranky occasionally.

We love the larger ships.   But, I feel the exact same way about the volume.   I think lots of music and activity is great, but not sure why it needs to be soooo loud.  I would like to have a conversation at the pool,  but last cruise we found ourselves yelling to communicate.   It won't stop us from cruising for sure!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

We love the larger ships.   But, I feel the exact same way about the volume.   I think lots of music and activity is great, but not sure why it needs to be soooo loud.  I would like to have a conversation at the pool,  but last cruise we found ourselves yelling to communicate.   It won't stop us from cruising for sure!

Agree.  I don't want quiet.  I like music.  But not so loud it is overwhelming.   

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

eh,, old people tend to find something (anything) to complain about no matter the environment. Whether it's the Ritz Carleton or Motel 6. Jean - Georges in NYC or McDonalds in Times Square. Hairy chest contest on the lido deck of Carnival Fantasy or the main theater on Seabourn.

That's okay though. We just have to remember a few things that older people are experiencing. Things like physical decline, emotional challenges, changes in independence, cognitive changes, generational differences, and perspective. I guess we all hope to live long enough to get cranky occasionally.

Don't forget to mention that Young people ( since you generalize that all "Old People " experience challenges) are rude, obnoxious, entitled ,loud and very immature.  We " Old People"  mostly lived thru that era, and thats why we " Old People" are considered wise.  We know how to behave and act ( except when alcohol is involved, then we revert back to our youth).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Don't forget to mention that Young people ( since you generalize that all "Old People " experience challenges) are rude, obnoxious, entitled ,loud and very immature.  We " Old People"  mostly lived thru that era, and thats why we " Old People" are considered wise.  We know how to behave and act ( except when alcohol is involved, then we revert back to our youth).

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2024 at 6:26 AM, ontheweb said:

You mentioned preferring river cruises, but being put off by the cost of airfare to Europe. Have you considered a river cruise in the United States?

About the only river in the US that might be worth cruising is the Columbia.  Don't mention the Mississippi or any of its tributaries - those itineraries sound awful.  Also I could drive to any of the towns on the river that might be interesting. 

DON

Edited by donaldsc

11 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

And we 'old people' have MUCH BETTER music!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1