No more tram service unless handicapped from ship on Cocoa Cay?

EllieinNJ

I haven’t been to PDCC since this new “policy” took effect so I’m guessing….but I don’t see how they can deny a ride to someone who says they cannot walk the length of the pier (for any given reason).  I also suspect that those in wheelchairs and scooters will have priority so it may take a while to get onto a tram but I really don’t see them denying a ride to someone who declares that they are unable to walk.

Those accessible trams have a very low capacity compared to the regular trams so it could be a long wait.  This is a very poorly conceived change, IMO.  I don’t see it going very well.  I guess we’ll see.

it won’t affect me much b/c I almost never get off the ship at PDCC anyway but this will certainly ensure I remain on the ship going forward.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I haven’t been to PDCC since this new “policy” took effect so I’m guessing….but I don’t see how they can deny a ride to someone who says they cannot walk the length of the pier (for any given reason).  I also suspect that those in wheelchairs and scooters will have priority so it may take a while to get onto a tram but I really don’t see them denying a ride to someone who declares that they are unable to walk.

Those accessible trams have a very low capacity compared to the regular trams so it could be a long wait.  This is a very poorly conceived change, IMO.  I don’t see it going very well.  I guess we’ll see.

it won’t affect me much b/c I almost never get off the ship at PDCC anyway but this will certainly ensure I remain on the ship going forward.

Supposedly, it was a one week problem and not a new policy.

May be an image of text that says '49601396/ 49601 396/ Royal Caribbean International Hi! is true that CocoCay will no longer run trams between the ships and main Tram stop on the Island? There's rumour going around saying that's true, yet not seeing anything your website, sent you a screenshot as attachment. aive headsu tram 出 Hi, Hi,Alex That was only from 10/01/24 10/08/24. -Mari That was HiMari, this going happen again or not? fit was to happen again, would we be notified by e-mail or when on-board? one time situation It's pleasure. Aa All right, thanks Mari!'

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Hmmm…interesting as I read a release from Royal that made it sound like a new policy going forward.  I hope you’re right !  Doesn’t make any sense if they are changing it permanently.  

Time will tell...  This is floating around on a different site.  The online reps are usually pretty accurate.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Crusin Cindy said:

That was the policy when we were there last Tuesday. My brother has very bad arthritis and COPD so he walked very slowly back to the ship. They really need shuttles to and from for whoever wants to use them.

How did they determine who was allowed to use the shuttle? 

36 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

This makes it look longer than a week, but maybe it was just for the current sailing...

Screenshot_20241012_154824_Facebook.thumb.jpg.fedf973b07b895efc1c62a61a785bfa0.jpg

There is no way in heck that this was "just for the current sailing".  If the policy has been rescinded, it's because of Hurricane Helene-strength blowback.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

While RCI may not be bound by the provisions of the American's With Disabilities Act, they are bound by the incredible bad press this would give them if the news got out that they were 'cherry picking' which disabilities were 'worthy' of receiving help. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Supposedly, it was a one week problem and not a new policy.

I hope so. October 2nd at Coco Cay, asking where to queue-seeing no queue, I was told there is no tram service from the pier. Everyone was walking. Despite using a cane and having difficulty walking, I was told by another employee that an approaching tram was for "handicapped".

Fortunately the driver allowed me & others to get on. For his kindness, he was berated by his coworker at the pier(the tram went to the ships before proceeding to the island).

My email to guest relations was responded unsatisfactorily. I then emailed Bayley's office. Merion Mom informed me of the change in tram service, guest relations did not. I will ask Mr. Bayley what their definition of handicapped is, if his reply is as disappointing as guest relations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

How did they determine who was allowed to use the shuttle? 

Though I did not see anyone in a wheelchair/scooter, Coco Cay employees were telling everyone they had to walk to the tram station on the island as there was no service from the ship to the island. 

On my walk to the island, I asked an approaching tram driver if I could board. He allowed a few of us with walking issues on & later was berated by his co-workers, for doing so.

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

While RCI may not be bound by the provisions of the American's With Disabilities Act, they are bound by the incredible bad press this would give them if the news got out that they were 'cherry picking' which disabilities were 'worthy' of receiving help. 

Americans with disabilities usually have documents to prove they are disabled. 
So I suppose something like this could be used. Although imho it’s done so less people who don’t have disabilities use trams. We used it once just to check out. We wouldn’t attempt if it was declared only for people with disabilities. Maybe because people who don’t need tram are using it disabled people must wait longer? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Tatka said:

So I suppose something like this could be used. Although imho it’s done so less people who don’t have disabilities use trams. We used it once just to check out. We wouldn’t attempt if it was declared only for people with disabilities. Maybe because people who don’t need tram are using it disabled people must wait longer? 

Curious, what type of documents do you think US citizens carry to show they have a medical condition?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Curious, what type of documents do you think US citizens carry to show they have a medical condition?

Thanks, that's exactly what I was in the process of asking/typing. I have no documents and don't "look" disabled. I can walk, I just can't breathe.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Pretty sure this is not true.  Also pretty sure one cannot be asked the nature of their disability in most cases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, poocher said:

Pretty sure this is not true.  Also pretty sure one cannot be asked the nature of their disability in most cases.

For example to get special sign for parking in our state you need to proof for your disability.

But CC isn’t US, although they try to accommodate people.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

For example to get special sign for parking in our state you need to proof for your disability.

But CC isn’t US, although they try to accommodate people.

It would be very awkward to have to wear your handicapped parking placard around your neck to avail yourself of handicapped services. 😁 And besides, what would your poor parked car do if you had your placard with you instead of hanging it in the vehicle? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It would be very awkward to have to wear your handicapped parking placard around your neck to avail yourself of handicapped services. 😁 And besides, what would your poor parked car do if you had your placard with you instead of hanging it in the vehicle? 🤷‍♀️

This is just an example of course. I have no idea how and if they will check, but at least most people without disabilities won’t try to use trams. 

• Like 1