Escape Deck Chair Policy Question

We are sailing on the Escape the week of July 2. We have been on the Getaway twice, and loved it. One issue we did see on the Getaway was people putting towels/items on chairs as early as 7 am, only to not return to them until several hours later. It really was frustrating, and you had a lot of chairs in ideal locations unused for hours.

We recently heard that NCL is trying to deal with the problem with a system where they place a sticker on a "reserved" chair after a certain period of time. Can anyone confirm this, and let us know if it worked? Did you have difficulty getting chairs on the decks around the pool?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Escape last month. It was not a full cruise, but we did see some staff going around to put stickers on chairs one morning. I will say that they had more chairs set up in the shade on the pool deck, but that meant that the loungers were set touching in groups of 6 - 8, which made climbing onto one a challenge. Also, there was no place to put your beverage. DH and I tried to choose chairs that had the small space in-between.

The majority of the time, its just towels, those you can move they aren't personal property.

They are responsible for the cost of the towel if it is not returned at the end of the cruise. Again, Very, Very bad advise. Don't touch anyone's property.

They are responsible for the cost of the towel if it is not returned at the end of the cruise. Again, Very, Very bad advise. Don't touch anyone's property.

What's wrong with taking (thus touching) someone's discarded property to the Lost and Found department?

And honestly, I've cruised more than once, and have never seen the towel charge applied. They may, at times, take your room number down when you grab the towel, but at the end of the day, sometimes right on the docks before reboarding the ship, there's always a big can where everyone drops their towel chaotically, with no one checking off room numbers.

Even if they did, the towel is the responsibility of the person that signed for it, and leaving it unattended in a public space is a big breach to that contract, so they would deserve every bit of the charge.

So my version of the advice would be : Don't leave your property unattended. Ever.

There is seldom a reason to need to be right AT the pool....move a bit further away, and the loungers have more space. Being "hip to hip" with your neighbor isn't my thing! Usually there are plenty of loungers, but they may require you walk 15 steps to get wet!

Well, it seems we found one of the hogs. [emoji241][emoji241][emoji241]

sometimes right on the docks before reboarding the ship, there's always a big can where everyone drops their towel chaotically, with no one checking off room numbers.

Everytime I have returned to the ship after a day on shore there has been a place to put your "used" towel and a member of the housekeeping staff handed me a fresh towel to bring on board and to my room for future use. No room number needed as it is a one for one swop.

Similarly during a sea day I have, when my towel got wet, taken it to the towel place on the pool deck and had it swopped for a clean towel. When doing that sort of exchange they do not as for room number or card.

If I have forgotten to bring my towel to the pool deck I have signed one out with my room number and name and on return it has been ticked off the list.

Do not touch anyone else's property. Very, very bad advise.

When a chair hog puts stuff on a chair they will not be using for several hours, isn't that touching "someone else's property"? After all, the chairs are intended for the use of passengers who are there to use them.

Endorsing that sort of setting aside of what is meant to be common property is even worse advice.

When a chair hog puts stuff on a chair they will not be using for several hours, isn't that touching "someone else's property"? After all, the chairs are intended for the use of passengers who are there to use them.

Endorsing that sort of setting aside of what is meant to be common property is even worse advice.

Definitely don't endorse the practice.

But nobody appointed you the chair police. Passengers have no authority or right to touch another passenger's property. That is the advice.

Just off the Escape. The Dailies stated (as they have on all my cruises) that the time limit is 60 minutes. I didn't stick around to see if things were removed or not. I do know that those of you who would remove someone's belongings after 30 minutes are the ones being jerks, since the person whose items you are moving is within the ship's rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But nobody appointed you the chair police. Passengers have no authority or right to touch another passenger's property. That is the advice.

Right - no one appointed me "chair police" ; similarly no one authorized another passenger to make a chair, to the use of which I am entitled, unavailable to me.

The vacant chair is certainly as much my property as the ship's towel is the property of the hog who used it to deprive me the use of my property: the chair for whose use I paid when I booked my cruise.

Your one-sided attitude is a primary cause of chair hogging - if people learned that they could not get away with it, there would be less of it for others to encounter.

Anyone willing to stare at someone else's property for an hour doesn't deserve the chair. :p

Seriously, suppose someone puts a towel on a chair, goes for a 30 minute "swim", returns and dries off, puts the towel back on the chair and walks over to the bar for a drink, do the "chair monitors" restart the clock? :confused:

Then don't put your things on a lounge chair and leave for hours. It's not about being chair police. It's about Chair Hogs period!

No one is stealing the items left on chairs.

Well, it seems like that advice was for a poster who suggested removing items after a half hour, when NCL's policy is that stuff can remain for up to an hour.

If you want a chair and its unoccupied, put a sticky note on it noting the time, then wait half an hour and remove items 'holding' the chair and enjoy yourself.

As noted by "LrgPizza", the person has 1 hour, not 1/2 an hour according to the dailies.

"If any chair is left unattended for longer than 60 minutes, the items will be removed and handed in at the Guest Services Desk, Deck 6, Mid."

Nowhere does it state that passengers should remove another passenger's items.

Then don't put your things on a lounge chair and leave for hours. It's not about being chair police. It's about Chair Hogs period!

No one is stealing the items left on chairs.

So,,,, what part of "I don't endorse leaving stuff on chairs to hold them" was not clear?????

I NEVER hold chairs by leaving stuff on them

Edited by BirdTravels

But do they enforce the policy? I know Celebrity doesn't.

Maybe not on the cruise you were on, but the one we were on last Nov they did. It was a show to watch when people came back and looked for their property.

Maybe not on the cruise you were on, but the one we were on last Nov they did. It was a show to watch when people came back and looked for their property.
I cruised with them in January on the Eclipse and they did nothing to enforce the time limit.

Get up earlier ..... Don't expect to be that person that rolls out of bed at 11 and expect to have two shiney chairs left next to the pool waiting for you. Early bird catches the worm ....... the late one cries and complains.