Are many men still wearing tuxedoes on gala nights?

luxurysailer

We've been away from HAL and Cruise Critic for a while, but coming back home to both. We'll be on the Koningsdam cruise from Amsterdam to Rome in September, and I'm wondering how men are dressing on gala nights. Are tuxedos still commonly worn, or if I bring my tux will I be overdressed and stick out like a sore thumb?

I don't wear one :D but it is clear from posts here that tuxedos are entirely personal choices these days. No longer de rigeur, but you most likely wouldn't be the only one.

Reports on the K was dress code was even more lax than some other HAL ships.

This thread might catch you up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353447&highlight=new+dress+code

If the link doesn't work, then just type in 'new dress code' in the forum's search box. There are a number of dress code comments often on a weekly basis, but many bemoan the loss of the formality whilst others (like the smaller ships) say tuxs are holding strong.

Have seen maybe 1/3 of the men on gala nights in tuxes so you would not 'stick out like a sore thumb'. Many Europeans tend to 'dress' more for dinner and the dress is more casual on Caribbean and Alaskan cruises - my observations. Indeed this is a personal decision and will say many women will check you out if in a tux.

Yes men still wear a tux on gala nights. I don't own one but I do wear a suite on gala nights. We found most people still dress up on gala night.

Allan

We've been away from HAL and Cruise Critic for a while, but coming back home to both. We'll be on the Koningsdam cruise from Amsterdam to Rome in September, and I'm wondering how men are dressing on gala nights. Are tuxedos still commonly worn, or if I bring my tux will I be overdressed and stick out like a sore thumb?

I like wearing my tux when I'm not paying for a wedding or being asked to write a check to a charity. ;) In January aboard the Oo'dam eastern Caribbean cruise there were several of us James Bond wannabes. Most gents were spiffed up, but there were less ties and more open collars. I still like "puttin' on the Ritz" on a cruise...that's why I had those ship's wheel studs and cuff links made!

Edited by blizzardboy

In 2013 we did a 21 day repositioning cruise. So few men wore tuxedos that DH tucked his away in the back of his closet.

We did the same cruise just this past spring and once again saw only a handful of tuxedos.

Many men wore just slacks, pants and dress shirts. No jacket or ties.

The choice is up to you.

On the 33 day South Pacific cruise I saw quite a few gentlemen in tuxedos or white dinner jackets on gala nights. There were even a few on the 7-day Alaska cruise. You will not stick out like a sore thumb!

One of the reasons I enjoy traveling is because I am doing something that is not part of my ordinary life: meeting new people, seeing new sights, and dressing for dinner. I will wear my tux on Gala Nights because I enjoy doing so. Others may do as they wish. But, please, something better than a T-Shirt, shorts, and flipflops as I saw on a Princess cruise one Formal evening.

We were on the Prinsendam for the Grand Med cruise (Mar-May) and many of those who did the full 55 days (including moi) did wear tuxes. Among those who joined the ship for shorter segments in Europe, there were far fewer tuxes. I suspect that will be the long term trend on HAL...where the folks who take the long cruises dress-up and fewer on the shorter cruises want to bother hauling the extra clothes.

Hank

... if I bring my tux will I be overdressed ...?

It's impossible to be overdressed when wearing a tux on Gala night. Can't be done.

As Fouremco said, though, you may stand out in a positive (good) way.

So much better than standing out for being underdressed!

Wear that bad boy and look good doing it! :) The officers will be in their new black (not white) formal jackets on gala night

Maybe it's a new millennial trend, but my friends and I love dressing up. We throw theme parties for birthdays and anniversaries to see who goes all out. For charity and chamber events, the men where tuxes. We have a group of 40 going on a summer Mediterranean cruise and the men will be wearing tuxes. I know all the wives swoon with their husbands wear tuxes, which make all the men find any occasion to wear them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In one way dressing up has never been easier as clothes have never been cheaper. However as our cruises are part of longer trips and as we have to pack to a medium case, we have to compromise. Our group of 6 had the men wearing suit pants, sports coat, formal shirt with bow tie. Surprisingly, looked quite appropriate.

Living here in NYC wearing a tuxedo is quite common so bring one on a cruise is easy enough - I have 3 tuxes and several dinner jackets that I bring along w/ me on the cruises & crossings. These days the younger men(I am in my late 50's) are wearing black suits w/ white shirts & black ties to formal occasions(it looks more of an outfit for a funeral to me).

Today onboard the dress codes maybe more relaxed but anything less than a blue or black suit is not appropriate on formal/ Gala evenings - especially when you see the women beautifully dressed - the men should put the same effort into the evening.....if its special make it so.

Wear that bad boy and look good doing it! :) The officers will be in their new black (not white) formal jackets on gala night

Has white for officers completely gone away, even for the Caribbean? Even when 'white' is slightly out of season I still like to wear the white dinner jacket for at least one evening.

Dennis

Has white for officers completely gone away, even for the Caribbean? Even when 'white' is slightly out of season I still like to wear the white dinner jacket for at least one evening.

Dennis

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as your spouse doesn't issue new uniforms for you. :D

DH enjoys dressing up for Gala nights and that includes putting on his tux for the evening. We will be bringing it along for our trans-Atlantic this fall and he will wear it with his James Bond attitude.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)