Ordering multiple entrees/apps allowed? Please no judging! :)

jojo412

hello everyone!

First time cruising with celebrity - will be sailing July 10th on the Summit, very excited!

On both Royal and NCL cruises in the past, we usually order multiple apps and entrees per person. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 apps and/or entrees that sound so good and we want to try it all! Other times I just love an app that much that I order multiple servings (for example, love the shrimp cocktail on Royal and the first two night ordered 2 servings, and from then on our waiter just always put in for 2 servings :)

We've never had any issues in the past on Royal or NCL, no looks of disapproving, etc... but I'm reading a few recent reviews from Celebrity sailings where it seems ordering multiple apps/entrees were looked down upon? Or, they weren't allowed to order double entrees - only 1 entree and then if they wanted seconds they would have to order when they're finished..which sounds like they are trying to discourage you anyway.

Any thoughts on this, and will we have any issues if I wanted to order 2 or 3 apps and 2 entrees? For example, looking at some posted menus, it looks like beef wellington and lobster tail is served on the same night - I would definitely want to order one of each! Will I be able to? Will I have to go through a hassle to do so?

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated! We are not usually gluttons, but when we're on a cruise we love to try as many things as we can :)

Thank you

Edited by jojo412

No problem. If you're dining with other folks & order 4-5 appetizers, be kind & either get them all at one time or tell your tablemates not to wait for their entrees while you enjoy your multiple appetizers.

We do the same... Order a few apps that appeal to us, a few entrees, and a few desserts. The nice thing is that over the past few years, the portion size has decreased. The waiters have always reacted well to any of our requests for multiple dishes. Order, enjoy, and revel in your journey.

Sometimes on Lobster Night they may try to restrict you to one lobster. However if you have a good relationship with your server, you may be able to get two. You shouldn't have a problem with one lobster and another entree.

On our NE/CA cruise they picked up fresh Maine lobster that day where the captain announced they took on one per passenger. When I asked for a second one, at first the server said he couldn't. I toyed with him a little and he agreed to bring it. Of course I had palm tipped him earlier in the cruise and tipped him again later. ;)

YMMV

BTW the next day there were dishes on the menu that included lobster so I know they weren't all ordered.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

On one cruise a few years ago, we sat next to a table of 8, all family members. Every night, we'd come into the dining room and their table was pre-set with a bowl of shrimp at each place, four glasses of soft drinks at each place and some other items. Each family member ordered one of each appetizer, each salad and each entree. They finished off with every dessert. And no, I'm not exaggerating. We were amazed by how much food this family was able to put away each night. We felt so sorry for their waiter, who was also our waiter, because he and his assistant ran their butts off for 7 nights.

Awesome, thanks for the input.. I love the speediness and quick response rate of CC!

I forgot to mention, when I say "we", I mean myself and my husband - only two people... Hope that doesn't change anything with ordering multiple apps/entrees..

We never have, but have seen others order multiple entrees. Many will order an app, a soup and salad. We often order a salad and then either an app or a soup. No they do not discourage it. But keep in mind if you do not sit with just your party it could holdup the table. As far as desserts I see people order 2-3 and share or order one thing and ice cream.

On the Eclipse in March, when our waiter made his recommendation for an app, I commented that his recommendation was one of the dishes I was considering. I asked for that dish. He brought my app, the app DH ordered as well as the other one I was considering for us to share. We did not order the additional app, he just brought it. They also asked DH how many lobster tails he wanted.

I am assuming that you are planning to eat what you ordered as opposed to taking a few bites of each to see what they taste like and leaving a lot on your plate. If that is your plan, no problem.

DON

I wonder how much space was left on the table after ordering multiple dishes? We'll be at a table for 2 so if someone orders multiple dishes it will be interesting.

It is not a problem at all.

They bring the dishes out to your table sequentially, not all at the same time.

Although sometimes they have brought us each 2 small appetizers at the same time, or asked us in what order we wanted them.

My DH almost always orders 3 apps and a steak along with another entrée. The apps are brought in quick succession. If we are dining alone, the entrees are brought one after the other. If we are dining with others, DH asks for the entrees to be combined on one plate. These requests are almost always honoured with no issues. The staff are great!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

However, never more that and ask for them both at the same time. Same for special lobster nights, I might ask for a lobster(to try) along with a main course like prime rib. Yes most portions are smaller now days(thank heavens). I also have not seen any really good entries/APPS or especial deserts that are that great.

Now here is my complaint. if your wait staff has the table or tables doing the multiple APPS/entries, your service will be sacrificed to keep the table ordering the multiple items happy. We have experience this several times.

Judge? We judge the OP smart for taking advantage of the opportunity to sample multiple dishes. We have never had a problem on any cruise line (we have cruised on 14 lines) or Celebrity (Elite Plus) ordering multiple starters, mains or desserts. The one exception is alternative restaurants where they may limit your ability to order multiple entrees (we have seen this in Murano). And, if that happens, everything is open to negotiation :). By the way, if you like sampling lots of things we strongly recommend having dinner in Qsine....where you are encouraged to order more then you could eat in two lifetimes.

Hank

My father always orders a steak plus whatever other beef dish is on the menu. He orders the steak "just in case" whatever he orders isn't either large enough or to his liking. He doesn't order sides with the steak (though sometimes they are brought anyways).

hello everyone!

First time cruising with celebrity - will be sailing July 10th on the Summit, very excited!

On both Royal and NCL cruises in the past, we usually order multiple apps and entrees per person. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 apps and/or entrees that sound so good and we want to try it all! Other times I just love an app that much that I order multiple servings (for example, love the shrimp cocktail on Royal and the first two night ordered 2 servings, and from then on our waiter just always put in for 2 servings :)

We've never had any issues in the past on Royal or NCL, no looks of disapproving, etc... but I'm reading a few recent reviews from Celebrity sailings where it seems ordering multiple apps/entrees were looked down upon? Or, they weren't allowed to order double entrees - only 1 entree and then if they wanted seconds they would have to order when they're finished..which sounds like they are trying to discourage you anyway.

Any thoughts on this, and will we have any issues if I wanted to order 2 or 3 apps and 2 entrees? For example, looking at some posted menus, it looks like beef wellington and lobster tail is served on the same night - I would definitely want to order one of each! Will I be able to? Will I have to go through a hassle to do so?

Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated! We are not usually gluttons, but when we're on a cruise we love to try as many things as we can :)

Thank you

Hi JoJo,

We will be on The Summit July 10th sailing too!! We have been on about 15 cruises and many times order multiple dishes without any issues..however it has been several years since we have been on Celebity so this thread and answers were helpful....I definitely want two lobsters! Many other cruise lines either cut back or discontinued lobster night glad to see Celebity did not! Where in Jersey are you from...we are in Ringwood

but I'm reading a few recent reviews from Celebrity sailings where it seems ordering multiple apps/entrees were looked down upon? Or, they weren't allowed to order double entrees - only 1 entree and then if they wanted seconds they would have to order when they're finished..which sounds like they are trying to discourage you anyway.

Sometimes on Lobster Night they may try to restrict you to one lobster. However if you have a good relationship with your server, you may be able to get two. You shouldn't have a problem with one lobster and another entree.

On my recently completed Celebrity cruise the guy at the table next to me (it wasn't me!) ordered THREE lobsters! After finishing the waiter walked up and said, "would you like a fourth, sir?" :p If there is a world shortage on lobster, you can blame that guy. ;)

Concerning the lobsters, on my Silhouette Caribbean cruise last December and my TA last April both times the waiter asked me if I wanted another one. I declined but could had another one. Is it only those Maine lobsters that they limit one per customer?

What I like to do is get the lobster and the New York strip off the everyday menu for 'surf and turf'.

As vegetarians, we have not only ordered multiple appetizers (since there is typically only one vegetarian entrée per menu) - but we have also had appetizers transformed into entrées at the recommendation of the waiter.

Tuscan Grille started us on that! they knew we were vegetarians and they were so accommodating considering their menu was laden with meat dishes. They suggested that we request an appetizer as an entrée and they were so accommodating and willing to do it.

We have also asked for 1.5 to 2x the serving, when from past experience, we knew that entrée was a small serving (Luminae's Tortellini, for example). As always, the dining staff were willing to accommodate.

The dining venues of Celebrity are flexible and as veggies, we appreciated this flexibility and suggestions from the staff.

Heather