Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

Lol, all these travel insurance agency pawns are out in full effect. Is that all you guys have? It's getting old.

Insurance or not, the options they should've provided are:

Option A: 4-Night Cruise, 50% Refundable OBC & 50% Future Cruise Credit

Option B: 100% Full Refund

I hope you never have to live through a Hurricane like this (I live in Florida), manage all the chaos that happened plus deal with the frustrations of not being able to get your money back on YOUR side. We that live in Florida are very aware of Hurricanes here. And RCI's customer service through this has been piss-poor. Liberty of the Seas guests had it worse with Hurricane Harvey. They took a better step with Irma, but it's still not at the level where it should be.

It's easy to talk crap about it on the other side of things when you weren't directly affected by Irma and/or these sailings that got cancelled/modified.

Nobody is talking crap, it's just that some of us are making our decision based on pure reality of the circumstances, and you, understandably, are making your decision about what should have been done based on your emotional feeling because you don't like the way the terms worked out for you. Nobody is telling you that we don't get why you're upset, we do. We just think that you need to be rational about what RC had to offer you, and option B was not in their contract, even though, as I just said a couple posts ago to one of your other replies, it DOES totally suck from a customer service point of view.

At least 2 of us have told you that we have been in a similar spot where we couldn't make a trip and insurance didn't pan out for us. Yeah, it sucks, but sometimes you just have to accept it and walk away, and hopefully it helps you justify the high price of a better insurance policy next time, because whether you like it or not, this situation is exactly what insurance is for. I don't know if you had it at all, or just had one of those plans with the loophole that the cruise had to be cancelled to cash in, but either way, now you know for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for understanding. I already reached a resolution, as I've said. But I'm still voicing my opinion of how I think the outcome should've been. As a business owner, I do everything in my power to make sure my customers feel comfortable. And I don't feel that RCI delivered in that aspect to cater to ALL.

Just my opinions. :)

I know, bad customer service is the worst. I'm someone who will ask a babysitter to set aside 8 hours on a Saturday to watch my kid, and if I cancel, I still give the babysitter the $80 because she gave up that day in order to make money and may have given up another babysitting job, and I don't want her to turn me down next time I ask her to babysit. I dislike bad customer service and I have a bad taste in my mouth for RC from this situation, which is kinda shady, but totally legal unfortunately.

Nobody is talking crap, it's just that some of us are making our decision based on pure reality of the circumstances, and you, understandably, are making your decision about what should have been done based on your emotional feeling because you don't like the way the terms worked out for you. Nobody is telling you that we don't get why you're upset, we do. We just think that you need to be rational about what RC had to offer you, and option B was not in their contract, even though, as I just said a couple posts ago to one of your other replies, it DOES totally suck from a customer service point of view.

At least 2 of us have told you that we have been in a similar spot where we couldn't make a trip and insurance didn't pan out for us. Yeah, it sucks, but sometimes you just have to accept it and walk away, and hopefully it helps you justify the high price of a better insurance policy next time, because whether you like it or not, this situation is exactly what insurance is for. I don't know if you had it at all, or just had one of those plans with the loophole that the cruise had to be cancelled to cash in, but either way, now you know for next time.

You get it. But there's a bunch of others in this thread that do not.

".... if you booked a week long voyage, why wouldn't be able to cruise on the 13th? Assume such people work and have booked holidays, the 13th shouldn't be an issue in departing on that date.

I'm on a March break cruise with the family and as of now, St. Maarten no longer exists, and St. Kitts and Antigua probably won't be there either. I'm sure by then, RC will make accomodations......otherwise,we spend the week in PR (if that's still there too).

Just my two cents.

There are many reasons now why a person who had planned to cruise on the 10th might not be able to cruise on the 13th. Many people in states northwest of Florida have now sustained damages due to Hurricane Irma for which they will have to spend their money. Whoever would have thought northeast Georgia would have lost power for days due to hurricane or tropical storm conditions? Who would have thought that of properties in the western North Carolina mountains? Yet here we are with that very scenario.

People have been forced north due to mandatory evacuations in Florida and may not be allowed to travel south and into areas where cruise ships depart. I imagine the traffic scenario and safety concerns may prohibit travelers who may have otherwise been able to depart on the 10th from departing on the 13th.

It's not that they didn't have the days off. It's not that they now have a "scheduling conflict" but there are other considerations. Flights not able to come into the area. Traffic and roadway concerns. Mandatory evacuation and safety re-entry concerns. There are flight change fees to consider- some up to several hundred or thousands of dollars perhaps.

I think the deal they have set up sounds pretty reasonable, but I can definitely understand the disappointment of paying for a 7 day cruise and only being able to now cruise for 4.

Yes people "should" have travel insurance, but should is different than do.

Not True! Cruise lines have been successfully sued for many things that were not in their control. Families have sued them when a relative jumped overboard, when passengers have gotten drunk and were injured and many other things.

Incidentally, Captain Bob has a lot more class than Royal Caribbean.

Those are things that are within the cruise line's control. A cruise line can be held liable for serving someone too many drinks. As for the person that jumped overboard, I would need more facts. A cruise line does not face strict liability.

Funny but if RCCL was not issuing a FCC in 100% of the amount paid for the cruise, those of us with insurance, could file an insurance claim and effectively exercise option B. We cannot collect from both the insurance and RCCL.

Those are things that are within the cruise line's control. A cruise line can be held liable for serving someone too many drinks. As for the person that jumped overboard, I would need more facts. A cruise line does not face strict liability.

Not True!

Here's a letter from Captain Bob, a private tour operator in St Maarten. To those that have been skewering Royal Caribbean, what are your thoughts on his refund policy?

"To all my valued friends and clients,

I can not thank you enough for your concerns and emails about our safety during Hurricane Irma and St.Martin. As you have seen in the news, Irma made a direct hit in St.Martin on Sept 5-6. It totally devastated the island. We were lucky and only lost 3 of our 11 boats and everyone is safe.

I personally was able to get evacuated yesterday by fishing boat to St. Kitts where I was able to get on a flight to Chicago with my dog and drive a rental car to Long Island NY. I am lucky to get out with the shirt on my back and a few important belongings and papers.

My house withstood the storm with minimal damage but most others were destroyed. The night of the storm was particularly scary and the days and nights following the storm were also dangerous because of looting.

We are hoping to be back in business by the middle of December 2017 as long as the cruise ships start coming back but that all depends on how quickly the island rebuilds infrastructure.

If you have a reservation booked, I will be making refunds less 5% as per our cancellation policy weekly as the weeks pass until ship start coming back again so look for your refund at the end of the week of your reservation.

Have no fear, I am financially solvent and have the resources to refund everyone who is not able to make our tours.

Thanks again for your kind words and concerns.

Capt. Bob"

That is absurd. He's keepng 5% of your money, but completly cancelled the tour ?

Here's a letter from Captain Bob, a private tour operator in St Maarten. To those that have been skewering Royal Caribbean, what are your thoughts on his refund policy?

I can not thank you enough for your concerns and emails about our safety during Hurricane Irma and St.Martin. As you have seen in the news, Irma made a direct hit in St.Martin on Sept 5-6. It totally devastated the island. We were lucky and only lost 3 of our 11 boats and everyone is safe.

I personally was able to get evacuated yesterday by fishing boat to St. Kitts where I was able to get on a flight to Chicago with my dog and drive a rental car to Long Island NY. I am lucky to get out with the shirt on my back and a few important belongings and papers.

My house withstood the storm with minimal damage but most others were destroyed. The night of the storm was particularly scary and the days and nights following the storm were also dangerous because of looting.

We are hoping to be back in business by the middle of December 2017 as long as the cruise ships start coming back but that all depends on how quickly the island rebuilds infrastructure.

If you have a reservation booked, I will be making refunds less 5% as per our cancellation policy weekly as the weeks pass until ship start coming back again so look for your refund at the end of the week of your reservation.

Have no fear, I am financially solvent and have the resources to refund everyone who is not able to make our tours.

Capt. Bob"

He has changed his policy at some point in the last few years.

A few years ago we had a tour booked with him and our ship was chartered and we ended up on a Western instead of the Eastern and he refunded our deposit in full.

The highlighted portion of the email that you quoted means that the tour operator will give refunds every week, to whoever is booked that week and won't be getting their tour.

The refunds will continue on a weekly basis because the tour operator doesn't know how long his tour will be out of service. So if your tour is this week, you are in the refund group this week. If your tour is next week, you get refunded next week and so on.

I quoted that sentence because he is not refunding in full

He's got his cancellation policy nicely wrapped up:

Cancellations:

FULL REFUND IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SHIP ARRIVING LATE OR NOT INTO PORT AT ALL.

FULL REFUND, IF I AS THE CAPTAIN DECIDE THAT WEATHER OR THE SEA CONDITIONS ARE NOT SAFE. RAIN IN THE AM IS COMMON AND NOT GROUNDS FOR CANCELLATION.

FULL REFUND IF YOU CANCEL MORE THAN 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE

NO REFUND IF YOU CANCEL LESS THAN 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.

ALL REFUNDS ARE LESS 5%.

That's dreadful! It's his decision to cancel, even though the ship cannot dock, and he isn't even anywhere near the island at present!

Wow. All nicely covered by his own policy though.

He's got his cancellation policy nicely wrapped up:

Cancellations:

FULL REFUND IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SHIP ARRIVING LATE OR NOT INTO PORT AT ALL.

FULL REFUND, IF I AS THE CAPTAIN DECIDE THAT WEATHER OR THE SEA CONDITIONS ARE NOT SAFE. RAIN IN THE AM IS COMMON AND NOT GROUNDS FOR CANCELLATION.

FULL REFUND IF YOU CANCEL MORE THAN 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE

NO REFUND IF YOU CANCEL LESS THAN 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.

ALL REFUNDS ARE LESS 5%.

That's dreadful! It's his decision to cancel, even though the ship cannot dock, and he isn't even anywhere near the island at present!

deleted

There are many reasons now why a person who had planned to cruise on the 10th might not be able to cruise on the 13th. Many people in states northwest of Florida have now sustained damages due to Hurricane Irma for which they will have to spend their money. Whoever would have thought northeast Georgia would have lost power for days due to hurricane or tropical storm conditions? Who would have thought that of properties in the western North Carolina mountains? Yet here we are with that very scenario.

People have been forced north due to mandatory evacuations in Florida and may not be allowed to travel south and into areas where cruise ships depart. I imagine the traffic scenario and safety concerns may prohibit travelers who may have otherwise been able to depart on the 10th from departing on the 13th.

It's not that they didn't have the days off. It's not that they now have a "scheduling conflict" but there are other considerations. Flights not able to come into the area. Traffic and roadway concerns. Mandatory evacuation and safety re-entry concerns. There are flight change fees to consider- some up to several hundred or thousands of dollars perhaps.

I think the deal they have set up sounds pretty reasonable, but I can definitely understand the disappointment of paying for a 7 day cruise and only being able to now cruise for 4.

Yes people "should" have travel insurance, but should is different than do.

Everybody has travel insurance, it is just that some decided they wanted to save the premium and self insure. In those instances, their insurance policy is paying out fully, it is just that there insurance company is themselves, so they are self funding it.

Nobody really needs to buy travel insurance, but then they need to accept the risk, and if needed, pay the price. The cruiselines are loosing allot of money from this as well, and that is their loss. The customers are also loosing out if something happened where they could not go, and are getting paid out from their insurance policy that they have, even if that company is themselves.

This is no different than an individual not buying comprehensive and collision for car insurance (full coverage), then when a hail storm happens, they have to pay for the damage themselves. You can't then expect that somebody else pay for your car because you don't think it is fair that you should have to pay.

He's got his cancellation policy nicely wrapped up: Cancellations: FULL REFUND IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SHIP ARRIVING LATE OR NOT INTO PORT AT ALL. FULL REFUND, IF I AS THE CAPTAIN DECIDE THAT WEATHER OR THE SEA CONDITIONS ARE NOT SAFE. RAIN IN THE AM IS COMMON AND NOT GROUNDS FOR CANCELLATION. FULL REFUND IF YOU CANCEL MORE THAN 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE NO REFUND IF YOU CANCEL LESS THAN 30 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. ALL REFUNDS ARE LESS 5%. That's dreadful! It's his decision to cancel, even though the ship cannot dock, and he isn't even anywhere near the island at present! Wow. All nicely covered by his own policy though.
Pretty stupid in this case. He gets his business by word of mouth and trip advisor. Wait until the negatives start coming

Operator cancels tour and keeps 5%, pffft, new business Racket there. Advertise tours online, have no actual way to ever fill a tour, cancel, keep money.

Where's the rules are rules, we follow the rules, we don't ask questions, you knew when you signed up crowd? Nowhere, because this garbage is indefensible

Capt. Bob"

My cancellation policy is clearly stated in the trip description, the deposit info and the confirmation. If you were not Ok with the cancellation policy you should not have booked. The 5 % is $1.19 per person. This is not going into my pocket but are fees that are not refundable to my by my bank. It's funny how it's always the vendors fault when people do not READ their contract.

what?????

My cancellation policy is clearly stated in the trip description, the deposit info and the confirmation. If you were not Ok with the cancellation policy you should not have booked. The 5 % is $1.19 per person. This is not going into my pocket but are fees that are not refundable to my by my bank. It's funny how it's always the vendors fault when people do not READ their contract.

The highlighted portion of the email that you quoted means that the tour operator will give refunds every week, to whoever is booked that week and won't be getting their tour.

The refunds will continue on a weekly basis because the tour operator doesn't know how long his tour will be out of service. So if your tour is this week, you are in the refund group this week. If your tour is next week, you get refunded next week and so on.

Thanks for understanding the situation and how I have decided what is the fairest way to make refunds.

That is absurd. He's keepng 5% of your money, but completly cancelled the tour ?

I did not cancel the tour, Hurricane Irma did