dental care?

chpal

Can anyone tell me what kind of dental care is available on the O ships? I'm not talking about anything major, but if a crown needs to be re-attached, or a filling falls out, is there a dentist onboard?

Thanks!

If you have work that you think might need to be done. Do it before you leave on your cruise.:confused: This is pretty obvious!

Many years ago I needed my first root canal but I was off to spend the summer in Graz, Austria in a music program. My dentist warned me that my tooth could blow up at any time and advised that I get the names of local dentists just in case, which I did. Fortunately my tooth did NOT blow up and I was able to wait until the fall to have the work done.

Another time we were summering at a family cottage in Goshen MA when I started having tooth pain. Dentists were available but the problem was temporarily solved with lots of aspirin so I was able to delay seeing a dentist until we returned home a week later.

But dental pain on vacation is certainly not something any of us wants to encounter.

When we took our first Viking river boat cruise I caught a cold from another passenger which turned into laryngitis. By the time we left the boat in Basel I knew I needed to see a doctor. I was astonished that Viking had no information for me! We were close to a hospital so we went there. Fortunately I spoke German well enough because the staff there did NOT speak English.

Mura

Last August, I had a crown come off in Prague. We were heading to Vilshofen to catch an AmaWaterways cruise the next day. Once onboard, I saw the cruise director that evening. He said that he could see what he could do and asked me to come back the next morning for instructions. Less than 20 minutes from when I showed up at his desk, we were on our way in a taxi to see a nice German dentist. Luckily he could speak English! The cruise direction stayed with me until I was taken in to see the doctor (my husband was also with us.) I had my crown and tooth cleaned, and reattached, within an hour. After the procedure, my husband and I walked back through the town and down to the ship. We sailed away to Passau later that morning. Total cost 50E. The cruise director even paid for the cab. DH and I were sold on Ama after that experience! Cruise director said that I was his first tooth patient! :D

Redtravel is well prepared.

I only recently came across this topic elsewhere myself and was amazed. While I am a thoughtful packer and prepare for travel, I never thought of special first aid kit for dental work but I learned they are indeed for sale. Some have explorers (those really sharp pointy things) and such. I cannot imagine siting in front of mirror, mumbling "Just be a couple more minutes dear and we can head off to dinner" with a pick and a mirror in my mouth doing a little fine tuning while on a cruise.

But some things did seem reasonable; I discussed this with my dentist. Plugging a hole (i.e cavity, lost crown) to prevent infection and pain made a lot of sense. There is dental wax just for such things to get you by until a real dentist can fix the problem. He gave me a bit - now in my travel first-aid.

He told me several times he has removed crowns that patients have reattached themselves. Sometimes while on vacation and sometimes at home just to avoid a dentist. His strong advice was to not use something quick setting and permanent like Krazy Glue as removal can be difficult. One person even glued it on backwards so the bite was all wrong. Maybe it was that sitting in front of a mirror and working backwards thing.

I'll stick to the wax and little topical pain killer.

Sometime the distinction isn't clear. Last fall my dentist had found a small crack in one molar while doing a more critical crown replacement on another tooth. The recommenced crown was viewed as being "routine or long needed work" and was scheduled for late summer this year. In June I was sitting in the Viking museum in Oslo when my wife gave me breath mint and I felt something wrong in my mouth. A corner of the molar had come away. This was a few days before getting on the Marina in Stockholm. Luckily the hotel got me in to see a dentist who patched its up and I had no problems for the rest of the trip. I did spend time thinking I was an idiot and should have had the tooth fixed before leaving. However when I saw my dentist at home he told me the corner that broke off was on the opposite side from the crack. So the break was not foreseen, but could have been prevented. So don't bite breath mints, and keep you dental care up.

I'm pretty sure they mean emergency dental care, not routine or long needed work.

Sometime the distinction isn't clear. Last fall my dentist had found a small crack in one molar while doing a more critical crown replacement on another tooth. The recommenced crown was viewed as being "routine or long needed work" and was scheduled for late summer this year. In June I was sitting in the Viking museum in Oslo when my wife gave me breath mint and I felt something wrong in my mouth. A corner of the molar had come away. This was a few days before getting on the Marina in Stockholm. Luckily the hotel got me in to see a dentist who patched its up and I had no problems for the rest of the trip. I did spend time thinking I was an idiot and should have had the tooth fixed before leaving. However when I saw my dentist at home he told me the corner that broke off was on the opposite side from the crack. So the break was not foreseen, but could have been prevented. So don't bite breath mints, and keep you dental care up.

That was unforeseen (i.e. emergency), not routine care. chpal said that that was what was meant. Obviously no one should expect to have routine/preventative dental or medical care done on a ship.