Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

Yes, but it's what you wear WITH those jeans that counts, and is really what we're talking about here. Jeans with a collard shirt and sports jacket, blazer or otherwise (for example) is a far cry from jeans, t-shirt and a ball cap worn backwards..

I think it is impossible to legislate "fashion sense" or a "sense of style", and I can't imagine trying to enforce that. So, undistressed jeans meet the bar that has been set by HAL. That may not meet the bar you or I set for ourselves and how we dress, but that's just the way it is. Who am I to tell someone they need to add earrings, a scarf, and some better shoes to their jeans and top?

If you follow HAL's guidelines, ignore the busybodies, and focus on enjoying your cruise everything will be just fine.

Absolutely. This quote should have been post #2 and this thread closed. But on the other hand, this thread did expose those (well, one actually) who will sit on a thread like this all day long, for multiple days now, just to keep repeating themselves.....ie busybody! :rolleyes:

Absolutely. This quote should have been post #2 and this thread closed. But on the other hand, this thread did expose those (well, one actually) who will sit on a thread like this all day long, for multiple days now, just to keep repeating themselves.....ie busybody! :rolleyes:

I think you are being way to nice to that one person. Just saying ... ;p

No Jeans

Way too simplistic of a comment! Just kidding (really). Too many people are too passionate about their opinions. They really are just opinions, and we all know the truth about opinions, just like @ssholes, everyone has one. The only thing to rely on is the published cruise line dress code. Make your own interpretation and “go for it” in what you wear! Enjoy your cruises and don’t sweat the small stuff! Life is too short!

I might not agree with everything you post,MajMom but you're spot on(also,great minds think alike..I made the same comment about opinions earlier!)

Sorry I missed your comment earlier. I didn’t mean to repeat your views. This is getting to be a very long thread. It’s hard to keep track of who has said what! 🤣🤣🤣

LOL! You know that doesn’t have any relevance to this thread. The cost for ripped, distressed jeans is much higher than just regular, everyday, Levi’s without any factory tears or stains. Value is definitely in the eyes of the beholder. And unless you plan on wearing the price tag, no one knows what you paid. 🤣🤣🤣

The only thing I find weird about their advice on jeans is the mention of embroidery as being a no-no. Seems like an oddly specific concern.

https://goo.gl/images/BN6sXE

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve seen anything on the HAL dress code addressing embroidery in relation to jeans. Just no torn or distressed jeans in the mdr.

This is one of the things that really chills me about this thread. Here we have folks making really bold statements, trying to convince casual readers of the thread that their personal preference is the rule aboard the cruise line, but they haven't even read what the cruise line has said about it.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or
embroidery
are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

My $8 pair of blue jeans are just fine and I wear them wear I want to.

PS: the holes in my jeans, I earned them, from years of work, and not from some machine in a factory

Nice dining room is for nice (not necessarily fancy) clothes. Males (young and old) we are collared shirts and twill/khaki/dress slacks. Otherwise the buffet/lido is available on nights you don’t want to wear business casual clothes. On formal nights it is expected that men will have coats/tie (not necessarily suits or tux) and young guys in slightly nicer shirts/pants. The thing about cruising and night time clothes is that they can rewear the same items multiple times......don’t take multiple outfits.

LOL! You know that doesn’t have any relevance to this thread. The cost for ripped, distressed jeans is much higher than just regular, everyday, Levi’s without any factory tears or stains. Value is definitely in the eyes of the beholder. And unless you plan on wearing the price tag, no one knows what you paid. 🤣🤣🤣

My post was hardly irrelevant. Fashion is, and always has been, about demonstrating status. A $100,000 pair of pants certainly does demonstrate status.

This is one of the things that really chills me about this thread. Here we have folks making really bold statements, trying to convince casual readers of the thread that their personal preference is the rule aboard the cruise line, but they haven't even read what the cruise line has said about it.

Just a minor point but, “embroidery” may be mentioned in the FAQs but it is NOT mentioned in the dress code published in the “Know Before You Go” pamphlet so you can understand the confusion. If someone reads the pamphlet and think they understand it and have no questions, they probably are not going to read the FAQs. So there are some inconsistencies in the information provided by HAL. So no need to “scold” that people aren’t reading what is published, they may just be reading a different source than you.

My post was hardly irrelevant. Fashion is, and always has been, about demonstrating status. A $100,000 pair of pants certainly does demonstrate status.

Sorry i didn’t mean to offend. My comment was intended to be tongue and cheek since the dress codes don’t make a distinction between acceptability of jeans based on price, just on condition. Of course your comment was relevant as this entire string was about jeans in the MDR.

Fashion is, and always has been, about demonstrating status.
That's a really good point, though considerations for choosing what to wear might include more than just fashion.

So no need to “scold” that people aren’t reading what is published, they may just be reading a different source than you.
I disagree. It wasn't directed at people who casually didn't know about the FAQ and therefore wore embroidered jeans to the dining room one night. It is directed specifically at people who were "making really bold statements" and were "trying to convince casual readers of the thread that their personal preference is the rule aboard the cruise line". When someone engages in behavior like that, I think it is fair to hold them to a higher standard of knowledge. Regardless, what we can say without a doubt is that the implying jeans aren't appropriate on smart casual nights is simply wrong.

Sorry i didn’t mean to offend. My comment was intended to be tongue and cheek since the dress codes don’t make a distinction between acceptability of jeans based on price, just on condition. Of course your comment was relevant as this entire string was about jeans in the MDR.

More importantly, this thread is about signalling status in the MDR. People who wear blue jeans aren't to be considered of suitable status to dine in the MDR. Or, as some posters put it: "we don't wear blue jeans." therefore we are of a higher status. Others simply believe that allowing blue jeans in the MDR lowers their status by association.

Nice dining room is for nice (not necessarily fancy) clothes. Males (young and old) we are collared shirts and twill/khaki/dress slacks. Otherwise the buffet/lido is available on nights you don’t want to wear business casual clothes. On formal nights it is expected that men will have coats/tie (not necessarily suits or tux) and young guys in slightly nicer shirts/pants. The thing about cruising and night time clothes is that they can rewear the same items multiple times......don’t take multiple outfits.

I bolded part of your post because it is woefully outdated. HAL now has Gala nights. Coats and ties are not required, and haven't been for some time. Gala nights require collared shirts and nice slacks (no jeans-- although jeans are allowed on non-Gala nights).

This is how confusion spreads.