Eurodam Movie Theatre No Longer?

SailorMarg

We are currently aboard the Eurodam, with today being the first Sea Day, and no movies or movie times are listed in the “When and Where”. Does anyone know the current status of the movie theatre aboard? Have they stopped showing movies in the Theatre?

We are currently aboard the Eurodam, with today being the first Sea Day, and no movies or movie times are listed in the “When and Where”. Does anyone know the current status of the movie theatre aboard? Have they stopped showing movies in the Theatre?

A quick trip to the front desk should answer that question faster (and probably more accurately) than any one on this forum.

Cheers,

When we were on her last September, they were showing the same movies on demand in our rooms and we never saw anyone in the theater - pretty much wasted space. It was nicer to be able to choose when to start a movie and the TV screens were huge. Just no popcorn.

Original poster here. Just spoke with Guest Services. They removed the Movie Theatre a few months ago.

Thanks for the update!.

I'm going to miss the theater. While movies on-demand in the cabin are good too, sometimes I just want to get out of the cabin! They generally had a little popcorn machine outside so you could have the complete movie experience with a small bag.

And a theater with a bigger screen and decent sound system, beats whats in your cabin every time.

Original poster here. Just spoke with Guest Services. They removed the Movie Theatre a few months ago.

Just off the Eurodam on the previous cruise to yours.

The removal of the movie theater is in keeping with the new way of HAL: many of the changes made onboard appear to minimize information previously provided to guests.

For example: the ship location map on the in room tvs. This new software doesn't feature any place names (land or sea), only outlines of mainland coastlines and islands. If a place name is given, it's an obscure village often not found on other maps, such as in the Alaska Cruise Guide. Without place names, the ship's geographical location could have been anywhere in the world, and so the information provided was practically meaningless, unless you took the time to compare rough land outlines to the those that looked similar on the guide's maps in order to determine where we were. Also gone are weather specifics, such as the "Wind Across the Deck" feature. And no more pool and jacuzzi temps.

While there are movie and re-run tv shows galore, no World Cup football broadcasts (not even on the "Special Events" channel, which was blank during our cruise).

And while I'm here, I'll mention the sad Gala Night, with no special table decorations (we had battery powered votive candles last year) , a cheap paper menu that opened like a road map, waiters in the same uniforms as other nights, yet passengers young and old chose to dress up for the occasion. Too bad the dining room didn't follow their lead. Gala Night could have been any other night onboard, if it weren't for the folding menu with the words "Gala Night" on the front and a notice in the daily program. The final Gala Night also featured a mad dash through the dining room by the chefs as the cruise director yelled into the microphone for us to applaud them just as our entree was being served. It happened so fast, and so loudly, that many didn't know what was going on. After dessert and as we were about to leave, we were told by our waiter that dinner wouldn't be served the next (and final) night of the cruise while the ship was in Victoria. No dinner seatings, no assigned tables, only open seating on Deck 2. Our group had two large tables, and had looked forward to dining together on the final night. However it wasn't to be, and so we said our goodbyes and hoped to see each other the next day. I understand the reason for the dining room to do this (although we weren't given one) but it came as a surprise none the less.

Despite the sanitizing of programs and features, the cruise was terrific and one of the best I've ever taken. It's just unfortunate that new cruisers won't have the benefit of experiencing how it used to be, and past guests won't have the amenities they've come to enjoy that made the trip special.

Edited by Boatdrill

Why wasn't dinner being served on your last night or do you mean no fixed dining? I hope that's not happening on all the cruises now.

Dinner was served, but only open seating on deck two for whatever reason. As the poster said -

"No dinner seatings, no assigned tables, only open seating on Deck 2."

Yikes! Why no fixed seating?

Thanks for the update!.

I'm going to miss the theater. While movies on-demand in the cabin are good too, sometimes I just want to get out of the cabin! They generally had a little popcorn machine outside so you could have the complete movie experience with a small bag.

And a theater with a bigger screen and decent sound system, beats whats in your cabin every time.

We agree! Booked a new HAL cruise based on our last experiences cruising with HAL. We loved the movie theater...and the popcorn. We would much rather watch a movie in the theater than on our bed, and on a small screen. :( Have they taken the movie theater out of the Nieuw Amsterdam, as well?

Thanks for the update!.

No kidding. I can watch a movie from my couch at home whenever I want. I enjoy seeing movies in the theater on longer itineraries especially.

When we were on Eurodam at the end of February I stuck my head into the theater to look at the movie. The picture quality was very poor - lots of digital "noise" in the picture. Perhaps they knew it was being removed at the time and stopped doing any maintenance.

It don't know what HAL's plans are but it might make a good venue for the Cooks Illustrated demos going forward (on Amsterdam the C.I. space doubles as the movie theater).

When we were on Eurodam at the end of February I stuck my head into the theater to look at the movie. The picture quality was very poor - lots of digital "noise" in the picture. Perhaps they knew it was being removed at the time and stopped doing any maintenance.

That was my experience on 3 HAL ships. I like catching a movie or 2 also, but I always found the picture quality in HAL's theaters to be very poor, along with the sound quality.

The picture and sound quality on K'dam's large poolside screen is so much better...although the venue isn't nearly as intimate.

Why wasn't dinner being served on your last night or do you mean no fixed dining? I hope that's not happening on all the cruises now.

The orginal poster just came off Eurodam's 7-day Alaska itinerary. On the last night, the ship is in Victoria B.C. from approx 6pm-11pm, and dining hours and seatings are modified to accommodate that evening's schedule, when many passengers are on excursions.

We were on Oosterdam in January and frequented the movie theatre. In fact, it was very popular and it required arriving at least 30 minutes to find a seat. Yes, there was a good choice of movies and programs on the in-room TV but the theatre type seating and environment were enjoyable. Will miss that if all ships are eliminating this venue.

Has anyone been on the Rotterdam recently that might know if they have removed the movie theater there? We enjoy going to the evening movie in lieu of the show and will certainly miss it on our upcoming sailing. Sitting in our stateroom to watch a movie is not our idea of a vacation and we would not find this to a comfortable solution.