Typhoid +Malaria Vacines for St Martin and Labadee?

Hi received cruise documents. What are the feelings about Typhoid and Malaria Vaccines for St Martin and Labadee off the Allure. Do we actually need to bring proof of our vaccinations? I do not remember bringing them before. Have old vaccination cards from childhood and all are up to date but recent boosters Doctors have chosen not to even fill in on those old cards. Do not believe ever had anything for Malaria or Typhoid.

Edited by GGGrandma32
wrong

These questions are best answered by a physician familiar with the area and your particular medical situation.

I don't believe there is a vaccine for Malaria. One has to take anti-malaria medication.

Typhoid????? Really? This is the 21st century....we have come along way since pirates trolled the caribbean

Believe it or not, in my cruise docs the CDC link for both Labadee (Haiti) and St Martin listed both Typhoid and Malaria. Made me wonder what was going on down there since I had last been. Thanks for the answers guys, I knew I would get answers here. Did not know if I needed if to go get vaccination records updated.

Only thing I did get this year was hep a vaccine for Caribbean. Was recommended by PCP and couldn't hurt. And actually in 2016 when my son went to Africa he has to get typhoid and malaria so even though it's not in same location, it is a concern in some countries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Believe it or not, in my cruise docs the CDC link for both Labadee (Haiti) and St Martin listed both Typhoid and Malaria. Made me wonder what was going on down there since I had last been. Thanks for the answers guys, I knew I would get answers here. Did not know if I needed if to go get vaccination records updated.

Probably for if you're actually staying there overnight/for an extended period of time and outside of tourist areas. Typhoid is from contaminated water or food. In Labadee, all food and drink comes off the ship so completely safe from tyhpoid, unless you plan on drinking standing water.

Probably for if you're actually staying there overnight/for an extended period of time and outside of tourist areas. Typhoid is from contaminated water or food. In Labadee, all food and drink comes off the ship so completely safe from tyhpoid, unless you plan on drinking standing water.

Or eating "bushmeat" [emoji33][emoji44]🦇[emoji205]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have asked this same question of a travel medical clinic. Their answer was yes but only If you stay overnight or at a resort. The mosquitos which carry Malaria come out at dusk and dawn. The ship is only in port during the day so anti Malarials are not indicated Typhoid is only a problem a problem if you are staying locally in Haiti.Which you won't be doing.

If you go to the CDC's web site for Travelers' Health:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list

And then select Sint Maarten from the destination drop-down box, check the box for "Cruise Ship" (type of traveler), and click on Go, there is a recommendation for "most travelers" to get hepatitis A and typhoid vaccines.

If you're the "better safe than sorry" type, feel free to get the vaccines. You won't need proof of them, though.

Having had to take malarone twice... read the side effects before you start taking the drug 5 days before any exposure and for several days AFTER any mosquito exposure. Those side effects are NOT understated--eradication of that type of malaria cannot come fast enough!

Typhoid????? Really? This is the 21st century....we have come along way since pirates trolled the caribbean

Yes, typhoid is endemic in many places.

And polio is coming back in some areas.

Yes, in the 21st Century.

And anyone who travels would be smart to get Hep A and B vaccine. And maintain an up to date tetanus.

And depending on where you are going, several others.

It's not a malaria vaccine. It was an anti malarial drug that he took 2 days prior to leaving then I believe for 12 days in Africa. Sorry, I should have elaborated better in prior post.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

There are three main drugs for anti malaria.

Two are daily pills and one is weekly.

One daily is doxycycline and you start it 1 day before possible exposure and continue it is 28 days after last possible exposure.

The weekly one is 1 week prior and, IIRC, also continued for 28 days. This one has been linked to some "very vivid dreams." One colleague told his wife he had dreams that she was not in. :D

None of them prevent malaria. What they do is attenuate the malaria to a level that your body can take care of it.

And the dusk and dawn part is not by time, but by conditions. So a very cloudy day might have them out at noon. Quewss how I learned that one. :)