Question for Kazu or other Embassy Suite Fans

1ANGELCAT

Good Afternoon Jacqui,

I decided to ward off evil spirits and appease the weather gods and fly in a day early for my cruise.

What is your favorite restaurant within walking distance of the hotel ?

Also, what time is the manager’s reception in the evening?

What time does breakfast start ?

I intend to use their shuttle from airport and to the pier.

I think we are the only ship in next Weds, what’s a good time to leave for the port ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Managers cocktail party is from 5:30 - 7:30 PM -- usually held in the restaurant.

Shuttle is not free (around $9 per person) -- we prefer to use a taxi. Takes us right to the pier. We always leave for the ship around 10:15. Like to be first on the ship.

Hope I have remembered this right. Breakfast Monday through Friday: 6:30 - 9 AM; Saturday and Sunday: 7:30 - 10 AM. Kazu might remember them better than me as we haven't been there since 2016.

Managers cocktail party is from 5:30 - 7:30 PM -- usually held in the restaurant.

Shuttle is not free (around $9 per person) -- we prefer to use a taxi. Takes us right to the pier. We always leave for the ship around 10:15. Like to be first on the ship.

Hope I have remembered this right. Breakfast Monday through Friday: 6:30 - 9 AM; Saturday and Sunday: 7:30 - 10 AM. Kazu might remember them better than me as we haven't been there since 2016.

We are at the Embassy Suites now - the info in the room says:

Breakfast 6-9 am M-F , 7-10 weekends/holidays

Evening reception 5:30 to 7:30 PM

But today, the breakfast stayed open till 10 am....I may have to go look at the signs in the lobby.

The shuttle is still $9 per person. I may use UBER instead....they have an option to order a 6 person vehicle - set cost fir that -about $13

Where does the shuttle let you off if not right on the pier? We have a bunch of bags.....

Here are some useful links

https://www.opentable.com/landmark/restaurants-near-southport-shopping-center-fort-lauderdale?page=1

This is a map of the shopping center across the street

http://woolbrightweb.blob.core.windows.net/corporate/properties/southport-center/assets/siteplan.pdf

We have been to the FLL Embassy Suites 3 times this year.

The shuttle lets you off at the Terminal. What KK means is that the shuttle may stop at other Terminals first.

What we have seen is that on the weekends, they assign shuttles direct to one ship. There are signs in the lobby for the ships in port that day...and they have many shuttles running.

By the way, we have assume this is Ft Lauderdale we are talking about. The OP never mentions.

ANGELCAT, you are smart to fly in early.

I think most of your questions have been answered.

ES is in such a great location. There are SO many restaurants close by that you can just pick.

There is a great hamburger spot (if you like hamburgers) in the mall that has Total Wine. Very short walk from ES. Turn right out the side door and go up. On the right hand side. Lots of fab reviews.

Kelly's Landing is good but there can be lineups. If you go early you can avoid them.

There are just SO many great restaurants around ES.

I prefer to say what I would avoid - one is the Outback across the street. Yes, it's close but the service was meh last time we were there as was the food. We skip it now.

There is a mexican place next door though where we had great food (if you like Mexican).

A ton of great seafood places - like the Oyster Bar on the way to Kelly's. Even one of the pubs across the street had good food.

ES has a lovely pool area. Surrounded by trees. You don't hear the noise from the thouroughfare (sp?).

One thing we have found - lunch at ES is quite good and reasonable. Very relaxing after lugging wine back from Total Wine :). We have done lunch there 3 times now and been quite impressed.

Dinner is pricey there - we haven't done that.

Breakfast is continental along with made to order eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, etc.

And the coffee is pretty good and usually on when I get up :)

A taxi is cheaper but if the shuttle is loading and ready to go and a taxi is going to be a wait, we take the path of least resistance. The shuttle service is good at ES.

We just grab a cab at the airport to get there. Much faster than shuttle and cheaper.

Just stayed at Embassy 12/21/17. Excellent Choice. Ate at Carlos & Pepe next door but there were several restaurants within walking distance. Bought some wine a block away at Crown wine and spirits for the cruise. Breakfast was good but made it to hotel too late for cocktail party (times were about right as listed above). Uber XL was $18 from airport to hotel for the four of us. Uber had a premium to the ship that morning at $48 so we took Hotel shuttle at $9 each. Several vans to transport and supposed to leave every 15 minutes. They will fill the van with folks so you may have to stop at other ships to let them off. However, It was nice to talk with other folks going on a different cruise. Drop off was right in front of boarding area, very easy. I've had a bad experience with Taxi in Fort lauderdale. Quoted $20 from port to airport but meter said $11.80? He said I wanted flat rate. Still, $20 was cheaper than Cruise line transport so I did not argue. Another time I used taxi the driver asked if I want "Fast". I said yes so she turned off the meter and charged me $40 for a 5 mile short trip. Just be aware of the charge as taxi are assigned on a first come first serve basis.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Veendam is all by herself next Weds so no worries about going to other ships.

Just hoping for warm weather and lots of sun.

Since I’m by myself, the shuttle is easiest for me.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Veendam is all by herself next Weds so no worries about going to other ships.

Just hoping for warm weather and lots of sun.

Since I’m by myself, the shuttle is easiest for me.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

I forgot you were solo, apologies so - Yes, the shuttle is the best deal for you and easiest. They drop you off conveniently right at the stevedores. Easy as pie.

I wish you much warm weather and tons of sun. So tired of the Arctic chill here.

I haven't been but when you get in ES, there will be a placard for the Rendezvous Bar and Grill. It's a cab ride away but I think the ES shuttle might help. Worth asking.

Reviews are pretty good and, although we intended to go last time, we were lazy and didn't get there.

There are just so many great restaurants around ES that it didn't happen. Maybe in May?

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in November upon returning from our trans-Atlantic. When in FLL we like to have lunch or dinner at the Quarterdeck Restaurant - out the front doors, across the street, and about a block and a half from the hotel. DH always has the 1/2 rack of ribs and I have the pecan crusted chicken salad - yum! We'll be back in FLL in 24 days, but not staying at the ES this time - will be at the Hilton FLL Marina - and plan on eating at the Quarterdeck again.

Our experience last time at the Outback Steak House was the same as Kazu's - mediocre service and food of the same level. We weren't impressed, so are not planning on going back.

Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in November upon returning from our trans-Atlantic. When in FLL we like to have lunch or dinner at the Quarterdeck Restaurant - out the front doors, across the street, and about a block and a half from the hotel. DH always has the 1/2 rack of ribs and I have the pecan crusted chicken salad - yum! We'll be back in FLL in 24 days, but not staying at the ES this time - will be at the Hilton FLL Marina - and plan on eating at the Quarterdeck again.

Our experience last time at the Outback Steak House was the same as Kazu's - mediocre service and food of the same level. We weren't impressed, so are not planning on going back.

Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Oh yes, the Quarterdeck was good :)

I'll second that nomination :)

We have always enjoyed our stays at the ES....love Kelly's Landing....and were also unimpressed by the Outback...we only visited as it was very close...and dark that night and we didn't feel like walking a way in the dark.

We have shared lunch in the ES restaurant....French fries were great....and huge helping....good service too:)

Just stayed at Embassy 12/21/17. Excellent Choice. Ate at Carlos & Pepe next door but there were several restaurants within walking distance. Bought some wine a block away at Crown wine and spirits for the cruise. Breakfast was good but made it to hotel too late for cocktail party (times were about right as listed above). Uber XL was $18 from airport to hotel for the four of us. Uber had a premium to the ship that morning at $48 so we took Hotel shuttle at $9 each. Several vans to transport and supposed to leave every 15 minutes. They will fill the van with folks so you may have to stop at other ships to let them off. However, It was nice to talk with other folks going on a different cruise. Drop off was right in front of boarding area, very easy. I've had a bad experience with Taxi in Fort lauderdale. Quoted $20 from port to airport but meter said $11.80? He said I wanted flat rate. Still, $20 was cheaper than Cruise line transport so I did not argue. Another time I used taxi the driver asked if I want "Fast". I said yes so she turned off the meter and charged me $40 for a 5 mile short trip. Just be aware of the charge as taxi are assigned on a first come first serve basis.

Did you like Carlos and Pepe? I wanted to eat there last time, but Amtrak was so late that we ate on the train. Can't believe Uber asked $48! :eek: Last year, it was under $10, so cheaper than the shuttle for two of us. I guess they've caught on to demand pricing in Fort Lauderdale.

I assume the OP is talking about the 17th Street Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale. When it comes to dinner our "go to" place for many years has been "Kellys Landing" which is about a 2 block walk. This is a no-reservation informal restaurant that specializes in New England style seafood. I go there to get real whole lobster (DW often orders their lobster roll) which is a real Maine Lobster (we are not talking about those silly warm water lobster tails you get on ships). They generally charge about $20 for a 1 pound lobster (this is a Maine lobster with the claws) or about $40 for a 2 pound (amazing!). They also have great chowder and plenty of other entrees including just about any kind of seafood.

Breakfast times do vary depending on whether on a weekend or weekday. But I think it was 7-9 the last time we were there (in October). I think the cocktail hour (free drinks) is 5-7.

Hank

I assume the OP is talking about the 17th Street Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale. When it comes to dinner our "go to" place for many years has been "Kellys Landing" which is about a 2 block walk. This is a no-reservation informal restaurant that specializes in New England style seafood. I go there to get real whole lobster (DW often orders their lobster roll) which is a real Maine Lobster (we are not talking about those silly warm water lobster tails you get on ships). They generally charge about $20 for a 1 pound lobster (this is a Maine lobster with the claws) or about $40 for a 2 pound (amazing!). They also have great chowder and plenty of other entrees including just about any kind of seafood.

Breakfast times do vary depending on whether on a weekend or weekday. But I think it was 7-9 the last time we were there (in October). I think the cocktail hour (free drinks) is 5-7.

Hank

I'll second that recommendation.

We had dinner there tonight.....$20 for a pound of King Crab legs. Service and food excellent.

http://www.kellyslanding.com/full.html

Probaly in the minority but I'm not a fan, stayed once never again.

Checked in and went to the room. The door was open, which I thought was odd. Went inside and the room wasn't ready, this was at approx 7.45pm. There was dirty cups in sink, dirty towels on bathroom floor, bed unmade, carpet not hovered etc. Rang house keeping and was told someone would come and sort the room out. 9.00pm still waiting, rang front desk told to ring housekeeping manager, rang but not in office, left message.

My husband eventually went to the front desk and spoke to the same receptionist who had checked us in, she thought we had checked in the day before and it was our mess.

My husband informed her, she had checked us in less than 2 hours before. Eventually a cleaner turned up and cleaned the room although she did seem rather annoyed. Not a good start after travelling from the UK.

The breakfast the next day was caotic and not very good quality, as was checkout

We stayed there prior to our recent Carribean cruise. First room we were assigned was a mess and not cleaned from prior occupants. Returned to front desk, which was a slow process using the busy elevators. Was given a new room accompanied by an apology.

That room was acceptable but early the next morning we were awakened by cleaning staff verbally arguing outside our room. This went on for several minutes before my husband opened the door and saw pushing amd shoving going on between a couple of employees with an audience of others.

The front desk was notified and, even though we did not ask to be compensated, we were never charged for our stay.

The breakfast was sufficient but area crowded and noisey.

The location is convenient and the room itself was very nice.