"X" We Have a New Cruise Terminal Here in SF, What's the Hold Up?

need2cruisesoon

I don't understand, we have a beautiful cruise terminal (James Herman - Pier 27).

http://sfport.com/cruise-0

You can certainly berth one of your M Class ships here year round.

Come on over, the Princess Grand is only here maybe 15-20 days a year we have room for you. We can do this. Call me and we can discuss.:D

If they could use the new pier as a port stop, that would be a big plus.

On our Ca Coastal cruise, we docked and disembarked at SF very late due to other ships in and out of the new pier. ( part of our tour to gardens ended up being in the dark..useless)

We were shocked by the pier we went to...really old wooden structure that had ramps that wound around and around...not so bad going down to street level but a real hike going up. We had tours both days so used it twice. Worst pier we have ever been to!

I don't understand, we have a beautiful cruise terminal (James Herman - Pier 27).

http://sfport.com/cruise-0

You can certainly berth one of your M Class ships here year round.

Come on over, the Princess Grand is only here maybe 15-20 days a year we have room for you. We can do this. Call me and we can discuss.:D

I think X is holding out until you guys get real football team. :o

Yep, a new terminal, now all you need is people to fill the ships, and rolling back some of those environmental laws pertaining to cruise ships.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pacific Coastal trip we took on Infinity in May. I think it's a strong enough itinerary to run it back and forth at least 5 or 6 times. But it appears it's more important to send the ship on up to Alaska for the season.

Perhaps the traffic maybe an obstacle for the cruise lines. I sailed out of SF once. The traffic getting to the pier and getting off the ship was absolutely horrible. There was no place to pull up to the pier where you could get out of traffic.

As others have pointed out, just not a profitable area. Carnival has two of its oldest ships doing short cruises from Long Beach and they sell cheap, cheap, cheap.

When Royal still had a California-based ship (Mariner) they had to discount fares like crazy to sail full (7 night cruises frequently starting for around $300 per person).

NCL used to sail Mexican Riviera regularly and they pulled out a few years ago.

I loved San Francisco when we sailed out of there on Star Princess. But frankly, there’s no place to go from there besides Mexico, unless you can do 2weeks to Hawaii with more than half of that sea days. Celebrity only has 9 ships, and would have to practically give away cruises to Mexico.