Amsterdam tender hits reef in the Cook Island

Kiwi_cruiser

79bb4b7834581c5c1fc6499cae5842e2_L.jpg

A tender ferrying passengers from the cruise ship MS Amsterdam became stuck on the reef at Arorangi yesterday afternoon.

The tender, with 90 passengers aboard, ran into problems while attempting to transport passengers to the beach to join afternoon tours.

An attempt was made to pull the boat off the reef using another tender, but it proved unequal to the task and the Ports Authority tug boat Toa was summoned from Avatiu to free the vessel.

Six passengers were initially brought to shore aboard a lifeboat, but when conditions became too rough, the cruise ship’s captain and crew took water out to the tender, then helped the remaining passengers walk to shore.

Turama Pacific Destination Management, Nina Webb said afternoon tours had been cancelled as a result of the incident.

Bill Murphy and Robert Rye from New Jersey in the US were aboard the tender when it struck the reef.

“The tender was coming in. It got right into the passage way and then a wave came and pushed it onto the reef and it got stuck,” said Murphy.

“Once we were stuck on the reef, the waves would come and just push us further onto the reef.

“Originally when we came in, the boat was stuck facing the island, but each wave kept pushing it, causing to turn the opposite way.”

Said Robert Rye: “They sent one tender to help pull the tender out but there was too much weight so they had to call in the tug boat.

“The crew asked if people could possibly leave the boat and swim to shore to make it lighter to pull it off, but the tender still didn’t seem to be moving.

“The ship’s captain, first mate, hotel manager and other crew members came out to bring water to the people stuck on the tender then helped offload some of them on to the reef so they could walk to the shore....

Read More

http://www.cookislandsnews.com/national/local/item/56225-cruise-ship-tender-hits-reef

Pete mentioned it on his world cruise blog:

"This is where we heard about TENDER 9. After we were safely ashore, Tender 9 strayed from the channel and ran aground on the reef in shallow water. The tender was full – 120 people – and was stuck for over 3 hours until it could be freed with the assistance of some tugs that arrived from the city. While waiting for the rescue, many passengers elected to don a life vest and wade ashore in the waist deep water. The Captain waded out to the tender carrying a case of water to the passengers that remained onboard. While we didn’t witness any of these events, we heard many favorable comments about how the situation was handled by the ship’s officers.

The tender grounding caused massive delays in follow on tenders resulting in the cancellation of all afternoon shore excursions. Once everyone was onboard that Captain announced that everyone would receive complimentary wine with dinner tomorrow evening. We did notice that on our return tender there was a ships officer closely supervising the coxswain who normally works alone guiding the tender. I spoke briefly with someone who was stuck on TENDER 9 and they were in remarkably good spirits."

http://www.theinsidecabin.com/

Sounds like something of an adventure.

Hopefully no one suffered any injuries and all guests and tender are now safely back aboard.

Good for the hearty folks who donned a life vest and waded to shore. Good they realized 'we're all in it together' when there is an event on the ship. :)

Another story they will have to share about their World Cruise.

I noticed that the Captain didn't mention this in his blog for Raratonga.

Luckily we have CC members on board to tell us about such events. Thanks to Pete, WCB, Steve for their great descriptions of what happened.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I noticed that the Captain didn't mention this in his blog for Raratonga.

Luckily we have CC members on board to tell us about such events. Thanks to Pete, WCB, Steve for their great descriptions of what happened.

Yes :), and just one finger that needed stitches after an injury on the coral. (As far as I noticed mentioned.)

I, for one, was majorly impressed that the captain was working alongside other officers and crew in the water helping the passengers. Although this is what we might expect him to do, there are too many instances where a person in charge fails to live up to expectations.

Can you imagine sitting in a tender in what had to be hot conditions for three hours. :eek: I would have quickly volunteered to wade to the beach. Glad no one was hurt and that the Captain and crew did all they could in the circumstances. I wonder how this will effect future cruise to the Cook Island's.

I, for one, was majorly impressed that the captain was working alongside other officers and crew in the water helping the passengers. Although this is what we might expect him to do, there are too many instances where a person in charge fails to live up to expectations.

Maybe Captain Mercer accidentally fell overboard and landed in one of the rescue boats headed that way?

(I KID! Captain Mercer is a great man, and clearly did all he could to help this situation. Kudos to him.)

I don't swim, so this definitely would have been a little traumatic for me. :eek:

The water was only waist deep. No one needed to swim anywhere. They certainly would provide a life vest for any that wanted one as the photo posted indicates.

Can you imagine sitting in a tender in what had to be hot conditions for three hours. :eek: I would have quickly volunteered to wade to the beach. Glad no one was hurt and that the Captain and crew did all they could in the circumstances. I wonder how this will effect future cruise to the Cook Island's.

Shhhh - it's on our itinerary in April. I don't think it should have an effect - at least, I hope not