Oh you crazy Veendam!

sppunk

Greetings from hot and humid Bermuda. I'll post a real review when we return Sunday (might be Monday when I get it written up), but might as well get this part out f the way.

Try as we might, we were unable to slip through Veendam unscathed. We werent stuck outside the terminal in NYC for four hours Sunday, but alas our luck has run out. This morning around 4:30 am a wall of water started pouring inside our bathroom wall (couldn't see it, just hear it) flooding our stateroom and getting into the upper level of the dining room right below us (we are Verandah deck, aft, port).

Funny part is, we've had no issues with our shower, toilet or a/c! This is the third water pipe burst on this trip that I've personally head, first the main galley, then one on deck 4, now this one.

They are painting the port side of the ship too making balconies a little tough to use hence the strong odor/noise. So we are currently homeless hanging out at Hamilton's library.

More to follow. They are trying VERY hard to make Veendam a great trip. Feel bad the crew is having to fight what I feel must be shoddy previous workmanship.

That's brutal! Sorry you have to deal with that. Good luck.

It didn't ruin anything of ours, just inconvenienced us a bit. Nothing to get upset about in our mind, just go with the flow.

Other than this and the lido's sad state of veggies (look and taste past prime, especially tomatoes) we have zero complaints ship-wise.

The passengers are another story, I'll be nice and say I'll never sail from a NYC/NJ port again on a cruise shorter than 10 days. BY FAR the worst we have seen, treated the crew with the least amount of respect imaginable. I saw a poor girl cry after being screamed at. Ugh, it broke my heart. :(

Veendam's port side was painted in June, also making balconies impossible to use because of the smell from the paint which was drawn into the cabins via the air conditioning. Wonder why they have to repaint the ship now?

I am surprised that nobody is is posting that you are just a complainer, that you only perceive that your cabin is flooded, ie perhaps the floor is just a little damp in one spot, that you are too critical, or that you should expect that 'ship happens'.

Or perhaps a comment of genuine disbelief of your cabin situation since they were on the Veendam two weeks ago and it was absolutely perfect....so your trip must be as well.

Greetings from hot and humid Bermuda. I'll post a real review when we return Sunday (might be Monday when I get it written up), but might as well get this part out f the way.

Try as we might, we were unable to slip through Veendam unscathed. We werent stuck outside the terminal in NYC for four hours Sunday, but alas our luck has run out. This morning around 4:30 am a wall of water started pouring inside our bathroom wall (couldn't see it, just hear it) flooding our stateroom and getting into the upper level of the dining room right below us (we are Verandah deck, aft, port).

Funny part is, we've had no issues with our shower, toilet or a/c! This is the third water pipe burst on this trip that I've personally head, first the main galley, then one on deck 4, now this one.

They are painting the port side of the ship too making balconies a little tough to use hence the strong odor/noise. So we are currently homeless hanging out at Hamilton's library.

More to follow. They are trying VERY hard to make Veendam a great trip. Feel bad the crew is having to fight what I feel must be shoddy previous workmanship.

Well that's a fine state of affairs. Your cruise is short enough without having issues like that taking up some of the days. Hope you are able to enjoy Bermuda in spite of everything.

I am surprised that nobody is is posting that you are just a complainer, that you only perceive that your cabin is flooded, ie perhaps the floor is just a little damp in one spot, that you are too critical, or that you should expect that 'ship happens'.

Or perhaps a comment of genuine disbelief of your cabin situation since they were on the Veendam two weeks ago and it was absolutely perfect....so your trip must be as well.

And why would they? Did you even read the opening post? Unlike some others, OP did not say that because his cabin had a problem everybody else must have the same problem and nobody can possibly be enjoying the cruise, nor should anybody ever book the Veendam. This was a perfectly reasonable post describing (I presume) accurately the situation, it's extent, and what was being done to mitigate the situation.

I never saw any mention of compensation until your post.

Roy

It didn't ruin anything of ours, just inconvenienced us a bit. Nothing to get upset about in our mind, just go with the flow.

Other than this and the lido's sad state of veggies (look and taste past prime, especially tomatoes) we have zero complaints ship-wise.

The passengers are another story, I'll be nice and say I'll never sail from a NYC/NJ port again on a cruise shorter than 10 days. BY FAR the worst we have seen, treated the crew with the least amount of respect imaginable. I saw a poor girl cry after being screamed at. Ugh, it broke my heart. :(

Great attitude! Enjoy Bermuda!

So sorry that this has happened to you.

Thank you for your update.

Hope the rest of your cruise is problem free.

WOW - we had a flooded cabin once and it was NOT fun (btw on NCL not on HAL) - fans running 24-7 - we had to turn them off at night to sleep - Your cc name really suits you = what a great attitude. I hope HAL does something really nice for you (like a new room if there are any) or something else. An attitude like yours deserves it.

I hope your days are wonderful in port and the carpets are dry by the time you get back;)

sorry to hear this has happened

Veendam's port side was painted in June, also making balconies impossible to use because of the smell from the paint which was drawn into the cabins via the air conditioning. Wonder why they have to repaint the ship now?

Yes indeed they were painting the first week of June. We were on the port side and did not notice but we overhead many people complaining of headaches and attributing it to paint. Speculation on my part that it may take a week or more to paint a deck so it's been an ongoing summer project, while docked in Bermuda.

Heck, they were painting that deck back at the end of May when we took our Bermuda cruise! We also got to experience the fumes in our cabin on deck 5 as well as when we tried to walk along the Promenade.

We had done the Bermuda cruise for several years....2 years ago the ship & our cabin were in such bad repair we swore off VEENDAM & HAL....and I have many many cruises w/ HAL since the 1970's.

The cabins mattresses were horrible, the carpets still stunk from previous flooding(we were in a lanai cabin....The resort poolette had many missing tiles so using it was uselss & the pool itself leaked into the diningroom.

The food was something out of a bad cafeteria & Anytime Dining should of been renamed "Anytime Hal Wants You to Dine". The staff kept apologizing for taking so long w/ service(we did not complain) but they knew they were short handed.

Love the itin, love Bermuda - BUT HAL / Carnivore totally messed it all up.....oh those bean counters!!!!

Our very first cruise with HAL was on the Veendam, literally right before she went to drydock for the whole "refitting" that involved taking out the aft pool, adding the Lanai Cabins, etc.

I was worried before we sailed that the Veendam would be desperately in need of refurbishment, and we actually considered rescheduling our cruise because of it. We ended up loving that Western Caribbean cruise and it began our love affair with HAL.

I find it so very sad that the Veendam has "sunk" to its present state. :(

VERY tongue in cheek!!!!

And not at all directed at the unfortunate cruiser but rather at the usual boosters who feel that absolutely nothing can go amiss on a HAL ship-and in particular the poor, tired, and hurting Veendam!

Just yet another reminder of why we will always pass on the Veendam in favor of other ships in the HAL fleet.

i think it is time for the veendam to make its journey to alang. if it was good enough for a grand lady like the france cum norway, it is more than good enough for veendam.

alang.jpg

I think the Statendam should be the first one to go.

I sailed on the Veendam im Apr 2012 and found the ship to be in pretty decent shape for its age. It was much better then the Statendam.

Archived