Just about to pay my balance and Celebrity changed my cabin!

Universe93B

Hi all, we have put down the deposit of $500 on a Southern Carib cruise on the Summit for Nov 23rd. The full balance is due tomorrow (Sept. 9) and I logged in to pay it and just found out Celebrity changed my cabin number! What the heck? Why would they do that? It's the same category, but the cabin is way up in the front and in a much worse location than ours.

The reservation department is closed early on Sundays, and I am on hold for over 15 min on the main reservation number. The cabin I used to have is still open, so hopefully I can still change it back tonite.

Has anyone experience this before? Never had a cruise line change my cabin for no reason and no notification! I feel like I am going to waste quite a bit of time on this, I should get some OBC at least!

Yes, it happens. There was recently a thread about this.

Some passengers don't find out until check-in that their cabins have been changed.

Some find when they check their reservations, as you did.

If the original cabin is still available, you have a very good chance of getting it back.

Good luck, but don't expect any compensation or OBC for your trouble -- they have the right to move passengers without any notice.

Hi all, we have put down the deposit of $500 on a Southern Carib cruise on the Summit for Nov 23rd. The full balance is due tomorrow (Sept. 9) and I logged in to pay it and just found out Celebrity changed my cabin number! What the heck? Why would they do that? It's the same category, but the cabin is way up in the front and in a much worse location than ours.

The reservation department is closed early on Sundays, and I am on hold for over 15 min on the main reservation number. The cabin I used to have is still open, so hopefully I can still change it back tonite.

Has anyone experience this before? Never had a cruise line change my cabin for no reason and no notification! I feel like I am going to waste quite a bit of time on this, I should get some OBC at least!

I would call first thing in the morning.....Capt's Club opens at 8am

Eastern time.

Well I certainly would not be happy if the Shipline changed my cabin without contacting us especially when we booked a specific cabin and not a guarantee........... on other lines one can stipulate.......... "no upgrade" against your booking. I understand that the shipline has the right to change your cabin but common courtesy and respect should prevail.......

Go online and make a reservation for your old cabin and put it on a 24 hold until tomorrow. Then call and get your cabin back

Chris

I am glad I read this thread, as I had no idea they could change my cabin after I had booked it. !

Both my husband and I have walking difficulties so we always book a cabin very close to the lifts. Finding out they can change this without even letting you know is quite a surprise.

I am one of the people this happened to and I had a thread about it a while back. I had my travel agent handle it, but it took a couple of calls from him to straighten it out. We are traveling with friends this February and booked side by side connecting cabins months ago. Well, I went to check my reservation and found we had been "upgraded"... Within the same category but the other end and side of the ship! In the end they ended up moving us both to an entirely different location so that we could be together. I have no idea what was going on... But it happens and you have to be insistent that they fix it. Best of luck to you!

I had this happen to me. After carefully selecting a cabin months before the cruise, we were "upgraded" at the pier, as was the couple we were traveling with. Same cabin category but on a higher deck, and more forward. They still gave us adjoining cabins but I was not happy, as it was under public space and too forward for me. I asked to be put back in my selected cabin and was told they couldn't as it had already been reassigned.

Purely coincidentally, at the muster drill, I ran into the couple assigned our original cabin. They told me they were part of a large group that received their cabin assignments at the pier. They were all on the same deck, and in the same hallway.

So it seems X will accommodate groups by assigning them cabins together, and just move around "the others."

I called my TA immediately right from the check-in desk and told him what happened. By the time we sailed, I was awarded $200 OBC and a bottle of wine at dinner for our "inconvenience." Turned out the cabin we were assigned was fine (no noise from above), but it could've ended differently. Not sure you can truly avoid this.

I had this happen to me. After carefully selecting a cabin months before the cruise, we were "upgraded" at the pier, as was the couple we were traveling with. Same cabin category but on a higher deck, and more forward. They still gave us adjoining cabins but I was not happy, as it was under public space and too forward for me. I asked to be put back in my selected cabin and was told they couldn't as it had already been reassigned.

Purely coincidentally, at the muster drill, I ran into the couple assigned our original cabin. They told me they were part of a large group that received their cabin assignments at the pier. They were all on the same deck, and in the same hallway.

So it seems X will accommodate groups by assigning them cabins together, and just move around "the others."

That is not fair, I would not be happy unless I considered the move to be an actual proper upgrade.:D

First time cruiser here and I had no idea they could do this! I picked our cabin after a lot of thought and there's not another one I would want in the same class or even a class above. I guess I'll just have to check online occasionally (already have this morning), but still be mentally prepared for a change at the pier. :(

One person's upgrade might not be another person's version of same.

When it happened to me, i was moved from my favorite stateroom, and outside view, to a verandah. Upgrade to some, but not to me. I wasn't able to get the original stateroom back, BTW, but later I found out why it happened. My first stateroom was next door to a Family room, and a large family group got it so they could have adjacent rooms.

My point is that it would have looked on paper like a very nice upgrade, but for me, it wasn't.

Some passengers don't find out until check-in that their cabins have been changed.

If the original cabin is still available, you have a very good chance of getting it back.

Good luck, but don't expect any compensation or OBC for your trouble -- they have the right to move passengers without any notice.

We had this happen to us on HAL. We had cabins next to each other. Both our cabins were upgraded. But we were not next to each other. We did not find out until check in. We have not cruise with HAL since.

We talked to our TA and she has added a note somewhere about contacting her before upgrading or moving cabins. It has not happened with Celebrity or RCL. Richard

Really -

Why do they have the right to move me without any notice.

M

Really -

Why do they have the right to move me without any notice.

M

as unfair as it seems you agreed to those terms when you accepted the cruise contract, and you HAVE TO accept the terms of the cruise contract to sail.

It kind of defeats the idea of booking early for the best cabin selection if they re-assign you without your consent doesn't it?

Archived