New Pinnacle Menu

frankc98376

Just wondering something. We have the explore4 for next July on our Alaska cruise. It comes with a meal in the Pinnacle but I'm not sure if it specifies lunch or dinner. I do wonder how else they will accommodate so many people. It may lunch and not dinner. I'll have to check this out.

Just wondering something. We have the explore4 for next July on our Alaska cruise. It comes with a meal in the Pinnacle but I'm not sure if it specifies lunch or dinner. I do wonder how else they will accommodate so many people. It may lunch and not dinner. I'll have to check this out.

I think it is dinner and you will be assigned a night and time to show up for your complimentary meal. Wasn't this discussed way back when the Explore 4 first was offered?

Is this why the menu is being changed, to keep it simple, quick to prepare? I can see that flambes take too much time for the waiters.

I'm betting that between future promos, flash sales, reductions, etc a lot of the Explore 4 packages will drop off before sailing.

I'm betting that between future promos, flash sales, reductions, etc a lot of the Explore 4 packages will drop off before sailing.

I'm waiting for the correct price drop. Once the price difference is greater than $400 we will consider it. We estimate that we would ideally hit around $40-50/day per person in drinks if we were letting ourselves order what we want (a few sodas, a latte, and a few drinks). We also normally would do the Pinnacle Grill one night. My husband and I did consider it with the $150 on board credit but we decided that we both are frugal and might not partake as much as we would like to if we had to pay out of pocket at the end of the cruise. So for now we're keeping the convenience of it in the cruise price.

Capital Grill, Morton's, The Palm, Smith & Wollensky........ vegetables are a la carte and we always share them around the table. We often order a plate of spinach, maybe onion rings or fries, broccoli, mushrooms or whatever and we all share.

Of all those restaurants, the only one around here is Morton's. We went there several years ago and were not impressed. The steaks were good. But the vegetables were whimpy - over cooked. I don't know if Morton's still does this -- but at time we went -- you paid extra for the salads and vegetables (side dishes).

A little late to the party, but I am also a lover of brussels sprouts. We had them in the Lido on the Veendam this summer and they were quite good, which surprised me. Most places don't do them well. If the Lido can do it, I'm sure the Pinnacle can as well. At least, I hope so!

Debbie

My Dh also loves Brussels sprouts and is looking forward to them in the Pinnacle. He has had them in the main dining room a couple of times and they were mushy.

I always enjoy the Thai Chicken Soup, Ocean Platter, Surf and Turf with Scallop Potatos ---- All are gone - including lobster tail ? What are they thinking ? Possibly the PG will be buffet ?

HAL doesn't want those of us who get a couple of free meals to get a lot of good food.

Buffet -- anything is possible on HAL -- so why not?

this soooooo funny. nero fiddles while rome burns. hal collapses before our own eyes, while the 'faithful cheerleaders' worry about the quality of the caviar. in a few, few years you folks won't have to fret.

I am not a HAL cheerleader -- we sail on them because we love the crew and the larger cabins.

We don't have to fret -- health wise we know we won't be sailing much longer at all.

So HAL can gear their cruises -- itineraries and food and activities, etc. to suit the younger generation. Many of them are not used to dining at good restaurants (if at all).

I recently discovered "roasted" Brussels sprouts. Delicious! Just toss the fresh ones, halved, with salt, pepper, and a small amount of olive oil......roast at 400 degrees for approx. 25 minutes......perfect! I hope HAL learns about this (it is simple to prepare).....it is a great way to serve them. They take on a "roasted, nutty flavor" which is wonderful........!:D

Of all those restaurants, the only one around here is Morton's. We went there several years ago and were not impressed. The steaks were good. But the vegetables were whimpy - over cooked. I don't know if Morton's still does this -- but at time we went -- you paid extra for the salads and vegetables (side dishes).

Sorry you weren't totally pleased with your Morton's dinner. It is a pricey(ish) restaurant and everything is ordered a la carte. You pay for salad, you pay for all side dishes. We have dined several times in the FLL Morton's (as well as a number of other locations) and found the prices in FLL on the high side but the steaks were really outstanding.

I think it is dinner and you will be assigned a night and time to show up for your complimentary meal. Wasn't this discussed way back when the Explore 4 first was offered?

Is this why the menu is being changed, to keep it simple, quick to prepare? I can see that flambes take too much time for the waiters.

It is a free dinner at either the Pinnacle or Canaletto depending on your cabin choice.

Silver to Gold -- I really think (JMO) that with HAL now having to give out so many free dinners because of star status and Explore4 -- the Pinnacle meal has to be made simple to serve especially with fewer workers in the Pinnacle.

I recently discovered "roasted" Brussels sprouts. Delicious! Just toss the fresh ones, halved, with salt, pepper, and a small amount of olive oil......roast at 400 degrees for approx. 25 minutes......perfect! I hope HAL learns about this (it is simple to prepare).....it is a great way to serve them. They take on a "roasted, nutty flavor" which is wonderful........!:D

That is the Giada did them on one of her shows.

That's the way I do them. A little parmesan cheese is good with them. I think the ones we had in the Lido might have been roasted. They weren't as mushy as some restaurant sprouts can be.

Deb

this soooooo funny. nero fiddles while rome burns. hal collapses before our own eyes, while the 'faithful cheerleaders' worry about the quality of the caviar. in a few, few years you folks won't have to fret.

Somehow I don't think the "ship is sinking". HAL is Carnival's moneymaker- hence Princess is moving over. HAL and Carnival will be around long after most of us and 20 years from now the next generation will be yelling on CC on the latest cuts. If anything I could see Carnival selling or cutting Costa loose.

Even with the incidents and bad press Carnival is still filling their ships. Like HAL Carnival has a market that is loyal. A co-worked just sailed on Carnival for her honeymoon and said the ship was 100% full. There are those that enjoy no fresh flowers and loud music in the hallways just as much as we love a quiet drink in the Explorers Lounge.

We had a situation this year that would have caused many to walk away but we are booked for 2014 and already watching 2015 as schedules appear.

Has HAL changed since my first trip in the early 80's? Sure it has so have my favorite restaurants and hotels. We still love the "dam" ships and the people we have met on them.

Go Dutch!!!!

Edited by frankc98376

Silver to Gold -- I really think (JMO) that with HAL now having to give out so many free dinners because of star status and Explore4 -- the Pinnacle meal has to be made simple to serve especially with fewer workers in the Pinnacle.

KK

This makes sense.

I have been looking at the new menu trying to figure out if the changes relate to cost or time.

I can't imagine how the ships would handle a full house in the Pinnacle, if that is what it will take to seat all the reservations they might get any one night.

We have never once been in the Pinnacle with more than 2/3 of the tables seated. As you note, with the freebies next year, they need to simplify. I hope they do not cut more staff.

I know The Palm is considered a steak house, and having eaten there in East Hampton and NYC, I love their steak. But, lately, I've also tried their lobster. They actually have 4 pound ones that I've shared with a friend. The only thing is they broil it, and I much prefer it steamed. Oh well !

Of all the changes that is the one that caught my eye also. I loved the chocolate souffle. (I've always considered vanilla as someone's idea of a joke!)

Hey, now, remember that vanilla is a more popular flavor than chocolate (well, at least in ice cream). I just had the vanilla souffle a couple of weeks ago on the Eurodam, and it was delicious.

Edited by hrhdhd

KK

This makes sense.

I have been looking at the new menu trying to figure out if the changes relate to cost or time.

I can't imagine how the ships would handle a full house in the Pinnacle, if that is what it will take to seat all the reservations they might get any one night.

We have never once been in the Pinnacle with more than 2/3 of the tables seated. As you note, with the freebies next year, they need to simplify. I hope they do not cut more staff.

When we sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010, there were 12 Pinnacle workers. On our recent cruise -- only 8.

And we haven't seen any females working there any more. I was told that the reason is they can not handle pushing wheelchair people around on embarkation and disembarkation day.

I have a feeling the new menu changes is to save money and time. I will be curious to see what people think of the food in the Pinnacle using the new menus. We all just have to wait till about the middle of January before people start to report in.

That is the Giada did them on one of her shows.

She probably has.....she and Ina Garten love to roast vegetables. I first saw the recipe in the Charlotte Observer, and tried it.....really loved them made this way. I have another recipe (of Ina's) that involves braising them on the stove in a pan with golden raisins involved....very good too.

She probably has.....she and Ina Garten love to roast vegetables. I first saw the recipe in the Charlotte Observer, and tried it.....really loved them made this way. I have another recipe (of Ina's) that involves braising them on the stove in a pan with golden raisins involved....very good too.

I'll have to try the stove top ones.