Captain's Club POLL- Are you happy  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Captain's Club POLL- Are you happy

• Very happy
    • Somewhat happy
    • Somewhat unhappy
    • Very unhappy
    • Don't care

For many of us, it was a non event after much anticipation. The difference between elite and elite + is very small (more internet time and another free laundry) so unless someone is focusing on achieving the zenith level, little has really changed for anyone who was elite level prior to the change. The bonus miles for those close to elite was well thought out so those folks were still one or two cruises away from elite...which is just where they were prior to the announcements. Yes, some didn't make out so well due to various reasons...but I'd say 95% plus found the changes essentially ho hum.

We're thrilled but we also understand the issue with those only one cruise away from Elite.

Celebrity wanted to slow down the rate at which people were reaching Elite (and the other levels) by requiring passengers to book more expensive cabins in return for perks or cruise more often.

No longer can people book short cruises as a way to quick promotion, no longer do people in Concierge get rewarded at the the same rate as suite occupants.

I think its smart marketing even though some feel slighted.

The people who already were elite lost nothing except the rate at which they could achieve the next level (which did not exist before).

Elite plus gained a bit, people at Zenith are royally rewarded for their obsessive cruising behaviour.

Members who did not make the cut have a more difficult hill to climb and are resentful. Members who love the Celebrity experience will continue to cruise with X despite the new requirements. Some will harbour a grudge and move on to other cruise lines.

We're thrilled but we also understand the issue with those only one cruise away from Elite.

Celebrity wanted to slow down the rate at which people were reaching Elite (and the other levels) by requiring passengers to book more expensive cabins in return for perks or cruise more often.

No longer can people book short cruises as a way to quick promotion, no longer do people in Concierge get rewarded at the the same rate as suite occupants.

I think its smart marketing even though some feel slighted.

The people who already were elite lost nothing except the rate at which they could achieve the next level (which did not exist before).

Elite plus gained a bit, people at Zenith are royally rewarded for their obsessive cruising behaviour.

Members who did not make the cut have a more difficult hill to climb and are resentful. Members who love the Celebrity experience will continue to cruise with X despite the new requirements. Some will harbour a grudge and move on to other cruise lines.

Don't forget that Celebrity was generous enough to give those with 1, 2 or 3 cruises away from Elite bonus points.

Don't forget that Celebrity was generous enough to give those with 1, 2 or 3 cruises away from Elite bonus points.

There seem to be many posting that they would have achieved it except for the change in the counting system so I don't understand.

There seem to be many posting that they would have achieved it except for the change in the counting system so I don't understand.

I believe that some were wrongly counting cruises that were paid for but not taken until after the changes. According to Celebrity, everyone with 7, 8 or 9 points got bonus points.

We were Elite and we're still Elite. I think the new system is a bit fairer. As west coast residents, I've always though it was unfair that people on the east coast could take a few weekend cruises and make Elite while those of out here have to take a 5 hour flight, stay at a hotel, etc. to get the same number of points.

We were Elite and we're still Elite. I think the new system is a bit fairer. As west coast residents, I've always though it was unfair that people on the east coast could take a few weekend cruises and make Elite while those of out here have to take a 5 hour flight, stay at a hotel, etc. to get the same number of points.

we agree--this distributes points based on nights at sea as well as categories..

but we did once fly to Seattle from the east coast to take a 5 day cruise on Mercury..not for the points but it was our anniv. cruise & we wanted to do the inside passage and Butchart Gardens!!

Perhaps we shall put our furniture in storage and just move on Celebrity ships.:)

I would love to put our furniture in storage and just move onto Celebrity ships -- but unfortunately they don't allow cats on board, and I don't think that we could convince anyone that our dog is a service dog.

With our 39 points under the earlier Captain's Club system I didn't expect to be given free cruises each year when the new system was implemented. I initially read some of the threads about the Captain's Club changes with interest, but became somewhat frustrated with what I perceive as unrealistic expectations by some of what they expected. My husband and I are both very pleased with our new benefits under Elite +.

For many of us, it was a non event after much anticipation. The difference between elite and elite + is very small (more internet time and another free laundry) so unless someone is focusing on achieving the zenith level, little has really changed for anyone who was elite level prior to the change. The bonus miles for those close to elite was well thought out so those folks were still one or two cruises away from elite...which is just where they were prior to the announcements. Yes, some didn't make out so well due to various reasons...but I'd say 95% plus found the changes essentially ho hum.

I guess you will find out if your 95% estimate is correct at least for the people voting here. I guess ho hum would be the same as "do not care"? IMO your estimate is way off, but obviously it is true for you. Not for me. I am pleased with the changes.

Those people who have never cruised or did not already have 7,8, or 9 cruises completed will almost certainly have to complete more cruises with the new system to earn the Elite status. (exception would be those is the very high end suites) Since the points awarded under the previous system were more generous those that had already booked and paid, just booked, or had not yet booked will earn less points under the new system.

We stood at 8 points before the conversion. Needed 2 points. Had 2 cruises booked. lst 13 nights Europe. Would have been 2 more points enough for elite. New conversion 8 x 30 = 240 + 25 bonus + 26 Total 291

Need 300. or 5 nights more to be elite.

2nd cruise 14 nights Trans Atlantic. 9 extra nights which won't do us any good. Would have been nice to be elite on a TA. That was the plan when we made the bookings. And no more vacation time for 2014.

I was not happy with how some points were awarded in the past. I met someone on a cruise in 2012 who as on their first Celebrity cruise, receiving three points for a 14 night Aqua class booking. There was an onboard booking promo offered on that cruise for double points for certain bookings. They booked another 14 night Aqua class cruise for which they were promised six points. So in two Celebrity cruises they would be one point away from Elite. I did not see that as fair at all.

I was not happy with how some points were awarded in the past. I met someone on a cruise in 2012 who as on their first Celebrity cruise, receiving three points for a 14 night Aqua class booking. There was an onboard booking promo offered on that cruise for double points for certain bookings. They booked another 14 night Aqua class cruise for which they were promised six points. So in two Celebrity cruises they would be one point away from Elite. I did not see that as fair at all.

Same for those that got the same points as someone taking a 10 night cruise, when they took a 3, 3 or 5 day cruise. The new program is alot more fair to all.

Experienced the Zenith benefits on the Transatlantic on the Silhouette. What an experience. Needless to say we will not even be pricing other cruise lines. Perhaps we shall put our furniture in storage and just move on Celebrity ships.:)

I agree, we LOVE the new Zenith benefits:)

I am not really happy with the new point system.

Anyone who books inside, OV or balcony is swimming to stay in place.

I am considering upgrading from my Sky suite to either a Celebrity or Royal suite. Right now the web site price for the RS is 2X the price for the CS. Yet they both get the SAME number of points per day:confused:

We all realize these Polls are not unbiased, but these indicates 20% don't care, 60% like it and 29% are unhappy. And although the numbers are large, the percentages usually don't change op much on these polls once a 100 or so chime in.

So I guess a goodly number do care and the definite majority like the changes, and since the OP also asked, they like how it was implemented.

Yup, I got a good deal. I'm now Elite +, and although the benefits aren't equal to moving up to Elite, I like them.

I do have a special coffee or so after one on the Elite breakfast; we do sometimes exceed the Elite internet minutes do we won't have to worry about exceeding it.

Den

I actually love to read about the zeniths and their new cruising reality. I can feel their pleasure in their posts.

I was going to be elite 12/13 under old and new program. So personally, I guess I am neutral.

I like the new system we did stay Elite and are looking forward to moving quickly up to Elite +. I think they need more ways to earn more points. I just recently saw that they will give 25 extra points for booking a aqua class. They should also, give you more credit for the amount you spend during the cruise. As for people not advancing more quickly on the new system because the ONLY book inside , ov cabins they are not spending what they need to deserve all the perks of the higher levels. If you want the benefits you should have to pay.