Do you remember? Celebrity Nostalgia

C 2 C

We loved those chocolates. There have been posts about pax no longer getting their pillow chocolates. If they had been covas that were discontinued, I would have been very upset. These never made it home to the grandkids. To think positive... my waistline no longer expands at the same rate.

At one point we used to get small boxes of about nine Cova chocolates in our stateroom upon boarding. I can't remember if they were an Elite perk, or a Concierge perk, but I sure missed them when they were discontinued. And you are right, Arno, THOSE chocolates never made it home to our children and granddaughter.

But at least you still used to get one with your cappuccino in the Cova Café.

I wonder if you can still buy Cova chocolates anywhere....I will have to google that. ;)

My first Celebrity cruise was on Horizon in 1992 - I knew I was hooked at day one!

Does anyone else miss singing Auld Lang Syne in the dining room during the last formal night? I know it is corny, but it always brought a tear to my eye as we cruised with family - never knowing how many more times (if any) we would all be together on vacation again. Of the three elderly relatives we used to bring along with us, one is no longer with us, and two are in no condition to cruise anymore. I have very fond memories of all the fun we used to have, and how very much they used to enjoy Celebrity. Funny story (in a sad way) - when my dear MIL was in the nursing home after her very serious stroke with her mind unfortunately not being what it used to be, she used to believe she was in her cabin on a cruise ship. That's how fond her memories were I guess :)

• Like 1

Wonderful thread Arno!

I remember the "live" music in the MDR on Formal Evenings. What a lovely touch.

Karyn

We also miss the chamber music during dinner. A real touch of class. This together with the trend of dressing down has made us nolstagic for the good old days

Wonderful thread Arno!

I remember the "live" music in the MDR on Formal Evenings. What a lovely touch.

Yes, the string quarter that later got downgraded to a string trio, before it vanished completely.

Also flowers on every table in the dining room, and the waiters announcing "Show Time" each night, bringing out a big tray with all the desserts to show you before you ordered dessert.

Edited by fleckle

Yes, the string quarter that later got downgraded to a string trio, before it vanished completely.

Also flowers on every table in the dining room, and the waiters announcing "Show Time" each night, bringing out a big tray with all the desserts to show you before you ordered dessert.

Oh yea....and when you had an outgoing waiter it was even more fun:D

That little show was always a hoot;)

• Like 1

What wonderful memories! We sailed first on Zenith in her maiden year and never left Celebrity after that. I have pictures of Century (I'll try to dig them out) on her very first trip to the States after being built. We toured her as paid Captain's Club members (1992) and were invited to her inaugural viewing before she headed for her scheduled cruises. She was beautiful, even in the cold December snow at the pier in NY.

I miss the live chamber music on all the ships, the beautiful main dining rooms where you anticipated dinners each night because the food was the best at sea and Bob, I remember Happy Happy on our Hawaiian cruise. Loved John the cruise director. We ran into Happy, Happy on another cruise in the Caribbean. I went up to him, did the suck em up and he laughed and said, yes, it's me!!!! Either that or the guy was his twin.

Anyone remember Steve the first cruise director on Zenith?? He was great. When you saw him he wanted you to say hidey ho. He was from Australia. We had so many wonderful crew and staff over the years. Sad that things have changed so much.

And, oh those desserts!

Pat

What wonderful memories!

I miss the live chamber music on all the ships, the beautiful main dining rooms where you anticipated dinners each night because the food was the best at sea and Bob, I remember Happy Happy on our Hawaiian cruise. We ran into Happy, Happy on another cruise in the Caribbean. I went up to him, did the suck em up and he laughed and said, yes,

And, oh those desserts!

Pat

He was on the Summit when we sailed Hawaii, I was reminiscing a few cruises ago and one of the guys at the scanners heard me and said that guy there is his

Nephew, it was nice to find out he was doing well. He certainly made everyone smile

I have a picture ..

Would post if I knew how.

I use a photo sharing site known as Photobucket.

It is free up to a certain limit.

You upload a picture to the site, copy the code (depends on Apple or Microsoft keys) and simply add to a post.

It's easy once you learn how.

our first cruise was on the meridian to bermuda, hurricane felix disrupted that destination, and it was a trip that would shock anyone enough never to go on another cruise again, but we were offered a deal from celebrity to make up for it, long story, and we have been avid , and i mean exclusively celebrity, ever since...we finally did make it to bermuda on the zenith the next year, and usually fly from florida, calmer waters....i do believe the meridian is with the fishes now....lol:eek:

I most certainly do miss Auld Lang Syne at the end of the cruise! Such a nice touch! I suppose it does not match with X´s new ways to bring " moderns luxury" to " younger bunch of people! THAT was there worst decision ever! Stick to what are you good at doesn´t mean one has to get old fashioned- or maybe " a bit old fashioned " is what some crave- seek for??

I have a picture of Mazy, the Maitre d' of Blu on the Summit, when he was a young waiter on the Galaxy in 2000. My 2 daughters are to the right with a friend from the ship. That was definitely the "good old times" of Celebrity. We bumped into him last year going to Bermuda. He is still very special.

Galaxy.jpg.984c184a9bba3b51b25ceee4fec1eca3.jpg

On our 2002 Milli Med. cruise we had an officer join our 6 top table a few times. You would arrive at the table and the wine would already be there. Once everyone was there an officer would join us. Still don`t know why. We only had 3 or 4 cruises with X at that time. We felt quite honored.

What a great thread and a reminder of what is gone, some I hadn't really noticed and some I really miss - string quartets/trios in particular and the harpist who used to be in the specialty restaurant.

Remember when they had done away with the midnight buffet or grand buffet and for awhile they were serving little finger food on trays in the public rooms in the evenings? They were tasty little bites but we were always so full from just having eaten dinner. But I would still eat them anyway since they were right in front of me ;) Hmm, maybe it's good they did away with those...

Lots of little things I miss but on the other hand we pay roughly the same price we paid when we first started cruising and they didn't have the drinks package back then either :)