Do you remember? Celebrity Nostalgia

C 2 C

8 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

On the Solstice 2013, before the LLP cost cutting:

* Cafe B sandwiches - talking shrimp salad, smoked salmon, a bit of caviar. Fabulous tasting and presentation with glass of chard - right upon entering the ship. Sat and waited till 1 for our room. An experience I will never forget - Gone

* Sorbet by the pool around 3 - staff serving 3 flavour choices - Gone

* Cafe B real lemon tarts, with quality pastry shell topped with a bittersweet chocolate square, truly OGM. It was real lemon filling, not process. Some version of this is still around I think, but the quality of that item is a shadow of the original - Gone

* Pain au chocolate - talking real laminated multi layered butter pastry, not the commercial version now - Gone

Newer customers of Celebrity have no idea how far this cruise line has fallen in quality, ambiance, guest inclusiveness.

Celebrity used to be the highest level of the mass lines, with a real gap between Celebrity and Princess/HAL.

That gap is virtually gone, Celebrity has been RCL treated and now is just different from the other mass lines.

But then all cruise lines are cost cutting and in the great race to the bottom.

Biggest cost cutting was in the MDR, four people took care of you at dinner and meals under Michel Roux every night were fantastic.  No restaurant on Celebrity now can compare to those days in terms of both food and service.  Speaking of Sorbet, you got it before they served your entre

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

I currently travel in a wheelchair but quite a few years ago l traveled with a service dog. He was a Doberman named Silas and very popular with crew and  guests. On infinity in South America we had his picture taken on the grand staircase. Photographer told me that many guests bought pictures of him.

Those were the days when pets weren’t posing as whatever they claim to be now.

• Like 2

Very nostalgic for those who sailed in those times, for sure...

In 10 - 15 years I will be able to look back think similarly about the current times in which I Am sailing on X.

It is very interesting to see how things changed from way back when to now over the decades.

Thanks to all for the memories and photo captions, lest we 'newbies' forget.

bon voyage

37 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Very nostalgic for those who sailed in those times, for sure...

In 10 - 15 years I will be able to look back think similarly about the current times in which I Am sailing on X.

It is very interesting to see how things changed from way back when to now over the decades.

Thanks to all for the memories and photo captions, lest we 'newbies' forget.

bon voyage

Bo

Some may involve your family. We have great pictures of the kids from 6 yrs old and above, they are in their 30s now. Back then you had to follow the dress code to go to the MDR or you didn’t eat except for room service. Also had to Abide by dress code throughout the ship for the evening. Children also had same dress code as adults. Daughter got a new dress every year and son and I rented tuxes.

Edited by dkjretired

On 5/3/2015 at 8:23 PM, flames9 said:

I was quoting someone else and I believe they may have meant nursing "home" material..fits the context with Elysian fields.

We miss the old days but did enjoy EDGE.

13 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I agree dkjretired- this topic is to good to let go. LOL! I still miss Old Lang Syne- maybe a bit sugary for nowadays- but still- such a nice touch at the end of the journey- when all good things had come to an end!

I was actually surprised to see two things revived on our past two cruises on the Silhouette in January and February. One was the second to last night of the cruise  (Chic night ) hearing Old Lang Syne played  and waiters, staff and guests waiving napkins to the music. The second event was seeing sorbet passed around the pool on sea days.  It brought back memories of days gone by.

• Like 4

The first cruise with my DH was in 1977 on NCL's Sunward.

Our first cruise with X was on the Summit in 2003 and we fell in love with the brand. Who didn’t want to identify with the actors in their commercials who started off by saying “I was treated like royalty...”. There were so many special little touches back then. I remember one cruise where the pool butlers were roaming the pool deck checking to see if anyone needed another drink, then asking those guests baking in the sun if they would like a cool spritzing of water from an Evian bottle. Now of course I knew that there really wasn’t Evian in the bottle, but it was the offer that mattered. There was live music several times a day in different venues. At the Cova bar we would listen to live music, which always received enthusiastic applause for the talented musicians, while enjoying our coffee and pastries. Those were the good old days...

Edited by C-Dragons

18 minutes ago, mari10 said:

I was actually surprised to see two things revived on our past two cruises on the Silhouette in January and February. One was the second to last night of the cruise  (Chic night ) hearing Old Lang Syne played  and waiters, staff and guests waiving napkins to the music. The second event was seeing sorbet passed around the pool on sea days.  It brought back memories of days gone by.

We were on the Silhouette at the end of february and we had cold towels and sorbet poolside on 3 of the sea days and the servers also sang on the last Chic night, was very nice for sure !!!

• Like 3

They use to have free floral classes on board. I never missed one. 

I also enjoyed when  part of the buffet was set up as extra dining room with linens. $5. charge for dinner. I think that was for the tip. 

I believe the MDR had complete silver service with domes removed at the same time for everyone at the table. 

Officers would often join your table at dinner in the MDR.

Dessert was presented on a large silver tray with many choices. 

Steel band playing relaxing music by the pool. 

31 minutes ago, Sascol said:

I'm sorry.  I do not want to post this but I must because I have seen it so many times here.  Apologies in advance.

It's AULD Lang Syne.....not OLD Lang Syne!

OK, I feel better.

My bad, auto correct at its best....

What a lovely thread, we didn't start cruising until 2006 so we just caught the tail end of  'proper' cruising and we've seen so many changes in the last few years.  We were massive fans of the BBC's 'The Cruise' program and Jane McDonald and we were gutted that we never got to go on Galaxy - however....  she has now joined the UK's Marella Cruises as the Marella Explorer so we felt obliged to book a cruise on her just to get our chance of going on her!! We are under no illusions that it will anything like it was but hey - a cruise is a cruise.....

I have been sailing Celebrity since 2000 and still my favorite cruises were on the Mercury and the Zenith.  Those were my introductions to cruising, don't get me wrong I love the S class ships the best now but starting to look for smaller maybe try Azamara if I find a cruise I like within a reasonable price. Cruises are different they change and I do understand some of the finer points slowly disappearing, many just don't appreciate them.  Great thread an pics

3 minutes ago, Sascol said:

I'm not picking on you....I just found it funny that it was stated that way quite a bit.

Didn’t think that at all  & agree it was funny... no worries 😀

Edited by mari10

7 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I remember in the specialty restaurant, Normandy, I think, on the M Class, the wait staff wore tail tuxedos and Dover Sole was prepared tableside.  Lots of silver serving ware.  Certainly a special meal.

Yes, the Dover sole was a memorable meal.  The current iteration in Murano is not as good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

On the Solstice 2013, before the LLP cost cutting:

* Cafe B sandwiches - talking shrimp salad, smoked salmon, a bit of caviar. Fabulous tasting and presentation with glass of chard - right upon entering the ship. Sat and waited till 1 for our room. An experience I will never forget - Gone

* Sorbet by the pool around 3 - staff serving 3 flavour choices - Gone

* Cafe B real lemon tarts, with quality pastry shell topped with a bittersweet chocolate square, truly OGM. It was real lemon filling, not process. Some version of this is still around I think, but the quality of that item is a shadow of the original - Gone

* Pain au chocolate - talking real laminated multi layered butter pastry, not the commercial version now - Gone

Newer customers of Celebrity have no idea how far this cruise line has fallen in quality, ambiance, guest inclusiveness.

Celebrity used to be the highest level of the mass lines, with a real gap between Celebrity and Princess/HAL.

That gap is virtually gone, Celebrity has been RCL treated and now is just different from the other mass lines.

But then all cruise lines are cost cutting and in the great race to the bottom.

And just like that, Debbie Downer shows up.  😞

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I have been sailing Celebrity since 2000 and still my favorite cruises were on the Mercury and the Zenith.  Those were my introductions to cruising, don't get me wrong I love the S class ships the best now but starting to look for smaller maybe try Azamara if I find a cruise I like within a reasonable price. Cruises are different they change and I do understand some of the finer points slowly disappearing, many just don't appreciate them.  Great thread an pics

Funny thing about size, remember when the Century came out people swore they would never sail on a ship so big. When M class came out those who loved Century class said they wouldn’t sail on M class ships since they’re so big. Same thing with S class ships

Edited by dkjretired

We gave hooked  on cruising sailing on the Century with it’s “Excellent staff and food.”

We missed the wait staff greeting us by our last name every night. 

We missed the stateroom attendant, with his assistance.

We missed the Murano for its Excellent service and food. It was liked going into a Five Star Restaurant.

We missed the Michael Roux Excellent dinning experiences in the MDR.

We missed the formal nights and seeing our friends dressed in their native formal military uniforms, men in tuxedos  and the women’s dressed in those elegant dresses.

Edited by cruise47
  • Like 1

We started cruising as a family in the mid 90s P&O posh food nannies in the kids club all of us kids included dressed very formal for dinner it was amazing! Then after a break from cruising we tried Celebrity it was Connie 2010 loved it! But we have experienced the cutbacks but hey can’t be that bad will complete our 30th this year withX Also do a number of other lines all of them are different now! But still love to be on board, Dianne