Drinks Package rises and Consumer Protection legislation.

Pushka

Agreed, it's not the first time.

But that's why I value such threads being brought up here, despite the protestations of others that there's no point to them and you should take it to court if there is a legitimate grievance.

Fortunately, as with prior issues such as the noise issue and this one, Celebrity do listen and have responded to such feedback.

AO now thye have fixed the drinks problem, perhaps they can look at fixing the dogs ****ting in the public areas.

+3

With the wording on that list we're back to square 1!

By the looks of it, the sound level issue has reared its ugly head again too.

Nevermind "too big to fail" how about "too big to succeed" - certainly too many cooks.

At least by looking at the count of the thread views on these packages, the marketing department has created alot of interest. My TA told me that during the last promo, 80% took the drinks package. I wonder what it will be now, taking out those that booked on board and got it "free"

And many went so far as to reach back many years ago when they had to pay a nominal fee to join the captain's club (as was popular in the late 80's and early 90's for many hospitality entities to do, I remember paying $10 to join the Courtyard Club for Courtyard by marriott! before they merged programs into a consolidated Marriott Rewards platform), claiming the payment of money gave them absolute guarantee to the programs original terms.

I was the individual who went that far back to mention that I paid a fee to join. The reason it was brought up was because you stated that nobody paid to join the Captains Club. My post corrected that mistake which you were apparently not aware of at the time. I did not complain about paying the $35 at all, just corrected the statemen. I did not in that post state I received the certificate because at that time I did not think of it. I did bring it up later when reminded but quite frankly for the purpose of correcting your post it was irrelevent anyway.

I might also point out that although I did receive the certificate, there were two many restrictions, did not use it and I know personally a lot of people did not use them.

Edited by dkjretired

Just been reading through the posts this morning and this stood out. I nearly fell off my chair laughing:D:D

If you every need a job as a "Spin Doctor" I am sure their are plenty of UK politician's would take you on after reading this.

Celebrities full or partial U turn was probably not due to a poor attempt at market research but because of :

A) The huge customer backlash over the changes, on social media, cruise forums and on the ships

or

B) The need to conform to regulations of the world markets they are operating in

or

C) A combination of the first 2

Hi

I have only quoted you as I would like to say thank you for bringing this to peoples attention

To para phrase a very famous quote

" All it takes for corporate injustice to prevail is for good people to say nothing"

Like Button

I was the individual who went that far back to mention that I paid a fee to join. The reason it was brought up was because you stated that nobody paid to join the Captains Club. My post corrected that mistake which you were apparently not aware of at the time. I did not complain about paying the $35 at all, just corrected the statemen. I did not in that post state I received the certificate because at that time I did not think of it. I did bring it up later when reminded but quite frankly for the purpose of correcting your post it was irrelevent anyway.

I might also point out that although I did receive the certificate, there were two many restrictions, did not use it and I know personally a lot of people did not use them.

Agree! We did not use ours either.

Hi all,

After we made recent adjustments to our beverage package, as part of our continual review process, some guests expressed disappointment that their usual drink choice would not be available. With the help of your feedback we've now updated the classic drinks package to increase the choices we offer and our guests can now enjoy over 150 different wines, beers, spirits, and a selection of non-alcoholic choices.

Hi Celebrity,

I realise there is a lot of talk on the forums her of the reductions in the classic drinks package. However, I have purchased the 'Premium package' and would like to know how this is impacted.

For example, the only reason I upgraded was to:

A) get premium branded drinks

B) have inclusive access to the molecular and martini bar drinks

C) not have to think about what's included

D) not sign for anything

For example... Last year I drank a red Zinfandel in MDR which was included in the premium... The same wine is now $16. Are there plans to correct your error in judgement for the premium customers alsowho paid the additional premium or just the classic package?

I fear you might see a number of passengers in the coming months seeking a refund on their paid drinks packages or in more extreme cases their cruises.

I look forward to you response.

I also ask for answers to Cool Cruise's email regarding advantage to Premium package. We recently sailed in April and enjoyed the premium package but the selection was limited which fell in the Premium category. As a matter of fact I did not see many premium choices in MDR. Have you raised our limit? We are again sailing in three weeks and have purchased premium again but maybe it was a waste of money(still will get it for the advantage of only paying difference to more expensive drink).

Thanks to all who championed this cause for the Classic package. Good job.

It seems this thread has now changed from people who were cheer leading the Celebrity right to increase prices above the package limits, to more who are now coming forward with concerns about the practise. The former disappearing.

The premium product is also impacted on and I think a lot of people who have paid to upgrade are blissfully unaware. I hope this too is sorted quickly as this package is always a paid for product. In fact, it was touted by many as a way to avoid the current issues of the classic product.

Edited by Pushka

Can someone tell us if there have been changes to the Premium Package please and give some detail about what is now included on the available lists.. I see Celebrity reacted to the Classic reductions -- have there been similar reductions on wines available in the Premium Package ?-- it was extremely limited as it was :mad:.

Also , I like Cle-Guy telling us about upcoming cruises as his travelling group is huge and he is doing the right thing by informing us - Celebrity will not. :rolleyes:

I have a copy of the wines available in the MDR when I booked our Premium Package -- I will expect these wines at least to be available - or an equal equivalent - and included in our package price - no extra , or there will be a stink in the MDR.:eek:

I have a copy of the wines available in the MDR when I booked our Premium Package -- I will expect these wines at least to be available - or an equal equivalent - and included in our package price - no extra , or there will be a stink in the MDR.:eek:

On what will you base "equivalent"? Wine quality, equivalence is very subjective....even the experts don't agree.

Just been reading through the posts this morning and this stood out. I nearly fell off my chair laughing:D:D

If you every need a job as a "Spin Doctor" I am sure their are plenty of UK politician's would take you on after reading this.

Celebrities full or partial U turn was probably not due to a poor attempt at market research but because of :

A) The huge customer backlash over the changes, on social media, cruise forums and on the ships

or

B) The need to conform to regulations of the world markets they are operating in

or

C) A combination of the first 2

Well, if they return EVERYTHING to where it was then your view of the change will be correct - and perhaps is even part of the decision making process. If they return only SOME of the items back, they this will prove out that they are testing and seeing what works and what doesn't and what things are most important to their customers and what matters little - not POOR market research, but as a result of that research.

In fact if they don't move ALL beverages back to the same scheme, then option B wasn't the reason, as they will still have the same issue on those items that were't moved back.

We all hope they will all return the old scheme, but I assume since they have not just said the list remains the same means they are probably moving some of the specific highest complained about beverages back, and I bet they don't even move ALL the highest complained about items back. I'm certain they are doing supply and demand testing here, and will continue to modify this lists thru the summer as they attempt to maximize revenues and margins, as a good company should do.

In my business that moves from place to place every 6 months, in 1 city we will sell a t-shirt for $12. In the next we raise the price to $15 and monitor the take up rate reduction, versus the increased profit margin to determine at what point the price increase actually costs money. Many times selling fewer items actually brings increased bottom line profit, with less work that adds extra ancillary savings. Each market is different. We look at our top selling SKU;'s in each market every time we move we make these adjustments the first few weeks of operation until we find the perfect price. In Los Angelss we can sell the t-shirt for $24, in Milwaukee, $12 is the limit, it's the same t-shirt and costs me the same, I just make better margin in Los Angeles.

In my business that moves from place to place every 6 months, in 1 city we will sell a t-shirt for $12. In the next we raise the price to $15 and monitor the take up rate reduction, versus the increased profit margin to determine at what point the price increase actually costs money. Many times selling fewer items actually brings increased bottom line profit, with less work that adds extra ancillary savings. Each market is different. We look at our top selling SKU;'s in each market every time we move we make these adjustments the first few weeks of operation until we find the perfect price. In Los Angelss we can sell the t-shirt for $24, in Milwaukee, $12 is the limit, it's the same t-shirt and costs me the same, I just make better margin in Los Angeles.

Thanks for this....I think it's a great idea, price based on market segmentation. I fully applaud that and Celebrity should implement that sort of change immediately. Drink pricing: Suite Guests should pay double the "standard price", those in inside cabins get a 50% discount off the standard price; aqua class +25% and all others pay the standard price.

Similarly, the prices for specialty restaurants should get the same target market pricing adjustments.

Brilliant....always like thinking out of the box....I hope celebrity picks up your idea.....

:):):)

For people who purchased the packages there is likely time to make adjustments for most of those passengers if the new packages are not what they feel they want.

For those of us who had a free classic package, which no one really thinks is free because rates were higher when offered, hopefully we can change the choice if we dislike it.

Assuming celebrity just wanted to make some more money out of the bar by raising prices and also decided to give less on packages, a bit more graceful change would have been appreciated.

I also wondered if the cost of the drink packages were too high for celebrity, why they didn't just offer a primium non alcoholic package plus three drinks a day or some hybrid package.

Thanks for this....I think it's a great idea, price based on market segmentation. I fully applaud that and Celebrity should implement that sort of change immediately. Drink pricing: Suite Guests should pay double the "standard price", those in inside cabins get a 50% discount off the standard price; aqua class +25% and all others pay the standard price.

Similarly, the prices for specialty restaurants should get the same target market pricing adjustments.

Brilliant....always like thinking out of the box....I hope celebrity picks up your idea.....

:):):)

Your suggested pricing model is practically already in place with regard to Cabin pricing :D

But I doubt we'll see on-board market segmentation coming any time soon. :p

I could see that at some point a few years down the road ships that station exclusively in Asia may have unique pricing to those exclusively in the Caribbean, but that will take some time to get people comfortable with....but I do truly see that coming. Like a Marriott hotel room price varies city to city even though it's the same named hotel.

I do believe they will use such analysis on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis however for all on-board spending options. I can even see that the Specialty restaurants price increase recently may be too much, and may in fact roll backwards, or that they will offer better multi-dining package options to provide discounted pricing on them.... my thoughts anyway.

Even I think the price increases in specialty dining is a bit too much.

For those of us who had a free classic package, which no one really thinks is free because rates were higher when offered,

Not for some sailings. On our Nov 11 day Equinox the current cost per person for a balcony cabin, ]WITHOUT any perk, is over $600 higher than what we paid. The Aqua cat cabins are close to $800 pp higher. With these prices we won't have to worry about a crowded sailing. Anyone that books now would have to be really wanting to get outta town.:)

Edited by wallie5446

Not for some sailings. On our Nov 11 day Equinox the current cost per person for a balcony cabin, ]WITHOUT any perk, is over $600 higher than what we paid. The Aqua cat cabins are close to $800 pp higher. With these prices we won't have to worry about a crowded sailing. Anyone that books now would have to be really wanting to get outta town.:)

If this is the November 10th sailing, it is selling quite well based on that fishing website.

Most veranda cabins are all gone, leaving those left to be sold at a premium, mostly left are AQ cabins.

The Royal suites are selling for their lowest price since being on sale...

Interiors at their highest price, almost $600 premium to when they went on sale.....this tells me they fully expect a fully sold sailing if they are getting high interior pricing.

I love the fishing website.... :D It';s how I find my best deals.

I could see that at some point a few years down the road ships that station exclusively in Asia may have unique pricing to those exclusively in the Caribbean, but that will take some time to get people comfortable with....but I do truly see that coming. Like a Marriott hotel room price varies city to city even though it's the same named hotel.

At present, all cruise lines already do this: same ship, however, different sought after itineraries in different parts of the world (especially in holiday periods) demand higher pricing than say run of the mill Western Caribbean sailings.

You only put the prices up in certain towns/cities where you know you call sell the t-shirts at that price - exactly the same for the cruise companies ;). When there's a recession in that area, down will fall your prices or you move to a new area - same for them ;). Point of fact, otherwise wouldn't RCI & X still be sailing down the west coast of the US on a regular basis?

If this is the November 10th sailing, it is selling quite well based on that fishing website.

Most veranda cabins are all gone, leaving those left to be sold at a premium, mostly left are AQ cabins.

The Royal suites are selling for their lowest price since being on sale...

Interiors at their highest price, almost $600 premium to when they went on sale.....this tells me they fully expect a fully sold sailing if they are getting high interior pricing.

I love the fishing website.... :D It';s how I find my best deals.

That's us Curt!

It will be an interesting watch as final approaches to see what happens afterward.

At present, all cruise lines already do this: same ship, however, different sought after itineraries in different parts of the world (especially in holiday periods) demand higher pricing than say run of the mill Western Caribbean sailings.

You only put the prices up in certain towns/cities where you know you call sell the t-shirts at that price - exactly the same for the cruise companies ;). When there's a recession in that area, down will fall your prices or you move to a new area - same for them ;). Point of fact, otherwise wouldn't RCI & X still be sailing down the west coast of the US on a regular basis?

Sorry - my response was meant to be in regards to on-board revenue generators such as drinks prices and specialty dining. The Cleveland Marriott charges $5 for a Bud Light, the Palm Beach Marriott, $7. The Cleveland Marriott $12 for the Marriott Burger, the Newark Airport $14. That kind of pricing.

Yet these threads are all insisting that pricing must be fleet-wide and stagnant, I'm suggesting we may soon see a time that onboard pricing may vary.

Edited by cle-guy

Sorry - my response was meant to be in regards to on-board revenue generators such as drinks prices and specialty dining. The Cleveland Marriott charges $5 for a Bud Light, the Palm Beach Marriott, $7. The Cleveland Marriott $12 for the Marriott Burger, the Newark Airport $14. That kind of pricing.

Yet these threads are all insisting that pricing must be fleet-wide and stagnant, I'm suggesting we may soon see a time that onboard pricing may vary.

we're not insisting anything of the sort, they can raise prices any time they want, buying a package should free you of these concerns, If prices do rise then raise the price of the package(which they did), the original list on the uk site matched the prices on board but X made a mess of things by changing lists AFTER THEY SOLD these packages.:)

If only they captured the lowest GTY and special rates they stop sometime last year no idea why.

I monitor the fishy site, and when I notice updates in my sailings, go to X to verify and see what else is there. I myself don't like GTY cabins so hand;t really noticed that change, as I hate the idea of an accessible cabin typo, I love my bathroom too much to have to have the accessible configurations.

I wonder of the loss of ability to track special fetes there corresponded to the time when they made it harder if not impossible, to interpret the type of fare they are selling, I think some referred int he past to 5 star rates, and that sort of thing, I likened it to the airlines A, B, C, D etc. fare categories but was not too familiar with the cruisleines categories other than cabin types, not the fares within a cabin type.

I agree with another poster, the fishy place isn't fully reliable, but is a good indicator to at least find out when changes have been made.

For example on the Equinox one I posted about earlier, there is clearly a problem with the pricing for a single day in the history, they seem to have posted all fares at half price for a day, I noticed all cabins types had a fare half what would be normal, that was updated the next day.

I think they will do it by having deals rather than different pricing per ship/cruise that would just be too confusing for the simple minded passengers.

Thats how they do it with the specialities you price to get the best revenue from the sailings that can fill the restaurants, then offer discounts to manage capacity on a cruise by cruise basis.

Same will happen with drinks, you offer an extra happy hour or a extra beer in a bucket, maybe in just a bar that is slow or ship wide.

The problem is if you offer pre pay packages then discount even more on the ship that causes issues.

On our sailing last year they had to substitute the prepaid with the onboard for Aqua class as that was MUCH better deal 1 of each special(4), 2 porch and 2 bistro for $89pp