10:20 AM flight out of Ft. Lauderdale

Hi all. We are on the Connie 11/29 - 12/8 and are Elite Plus. Can we make a 10:20 AM flight if we walk off? I want to book a flight today. Please help. Thanks.

We returned from the Equinox last December and going through customs in Fort Lauderdale was a nightmare. We waited in the Silk Harvest restaurant from 8:30 until 9:45. It took us another 2 and a half hours in line to clear customs. Fortunately, we were going to friends so we did not have to catch a plane that day. Most people who had noon or early afternoon flights missed their connections and had to rebook for either later in the day or the next day. If you are going to walk off be sure it is very early or you could get stuck. This is not a Celebrity thing. This is because customs was slow. Maybe they have stepped things up now but you might want to check with Celebrity and see that their take on the situation is. Remember once you clear customs you have to clear air port security as well. We are returning from a Trans Atlantic next December and we already have late afternoon flights home. Enjoy your cruise but just be sure you have lots of time in Fort Lauderdale.

Hi all. We are on the Connie 11/29 - 12/8 and are Elite Plus. Can we make a 10:20 AM flight if we walk off? I want to book a flight today. Please help. Thanks.

Since sequestration, the number of US Customs agents seems to have been cut in half. Even if you self disembark, there's nothing to say that the agents will even be there in time. We were in the 6th group called to leave the ship at about 8:50 and we saw self disembarkers still standing in line for Customs.

Because it is a non stop. 3 hrs flying time as to 6+ hrs. Or wait till 7:40PM.

Hi Maureen, is there any way you could stay overnight and fly home

the following morning?

It's all about your stress level.

We have done it BUT we do not check any airline luggage, nor do we use cruise luggage service. We do self-walk off and line up early to be the first off and in a taxi before the line really starts. We make no purchases on our cruise which makes it quick at customs. Boarding passes are pre-printed, and most times we get TSA pre-cleared as we are NEXUS card holders. I am very familiar with the airport and gate areas so there is no slowing down to read signs.

This was not on Celebrity but with other lines. Can't imagine it's much different though.

We have been almost last to board our flight.

Can you deal with the stress? And, what's your back up plan??

We make the 10:10 flight out of FLL every time. We're usually waiting in the airport about 2 hours.

We do like you - line up early and are the first handful off.

We do have a backup of a later flight but we like the early one. 90 min. non stop flight home, gain back an hour, hour drive to the house.

As long as there aren't many ships in port. We would book 10:20 provided we were the only ship, or one of no more than three ships.

But if you disembark on a Sunday, for example , when 6-8 ships are in port, forget about it. There is always some nightmare Sundays around that time of the year in Pt Everglade, and early to mid-December comes to mind

Pull up a schedules for Pt Everglades to see how many are disembarking.

We were one of two ships last month, roughly 5,500 passengers, did express walk off and were at the airport by 7:45

Maureen ,

Yes, you can make it!!! We booked a 10:15 flight out of Miami at the end of a November TA from Rome. To insure we made the flight , we walked off with luggage and were at the airport by 8:00 AM. We were even delayed while each Reflection officer and crew went through immigration. The key is to be among the first passengers to leave the ship. We always walk off and historically we are in the taxi or car between 7:00-8:00. It is stressful if you have a non refundable ticket but we have never missed.

Good Luck.

Forget the Elite Plus status....Just do self walk off. Even on a Sunday being on the Allure we made a 7:30 AM flight home.

Walk off with luggage in hand....grab a taxi and check into airline.

Captains club status doesn't effect disembarkation time.

This is doable but there's always a chance of a holdup so have a backup plan.

Given the cut backs due to the sequester I don't think this is doable. I'd book something mid afternoon to be on the safe side. Better to be safe than sorry. Just saying.

Don't believe you'd make this flight even if all your "ducks are lined up in a perfect row."

While I am in no way guaranteeing that the OP could make the flight, I also would not say they won't make it even if everything goes well. If all does go well (i.e. all ducks are line up in a perfect row) there's actually a very good chance they WOULD make it. Obviously, it depends on how many ducks there are and what advantages the OP may have. Here's a list I've posted before, of things to consider when weighing the pros and cons of an early flights:

1. What ship are you on and/or what time is it scheduled to dock?

2. How many other ships are in port than day?

3. Are you willing and able to self disembark?

4. Are you purchasing anything you'll have to declare at customs?

5. What means of transportation are you using to get to the airport?

6. Are you flying out of the nearest airport?

7. Will you be able to check in online before arriving at the airport?

8. Do you need to check bags for your flight?

9. Do you have any status with your airline that gets you to a priority line for check in and/or bag check?

10. Do you have any airline or TSA status/privileges that get you into a priority line for security?

11. Are there later flights you can take if you miss yours, and do you have the means to get rebooked on one? (status with airline, financial ability/willingness to pay a change fee, etc.)

For me personally, I always self disembark, I can check in via smartphone while still on the ship, I can use Delta's Sky Priority line to check my bags, I have TSA PreCheck, never have anything to declare, and I always have a private car or cab to the nearest airport. That said, getting off Oasis/Allure I'd book a flight as early as 9:00. Wouldn't necessarily recommend that for others, but I'd be comfortable with it. For other ships, I'd probably feel comfortable with a flight at 10:00 or later...again, given what I've said about MY situation and MY risk tolerance.

Edited by waterbug123

Maureen ,

Yes, you can make it!!! We booked a 10:15 flight out of Miami at the end of a November TA from Rome. To insure we made the flight , we walked off with luggage and were at the airport by 8:00 AM. We were even delayed while each Reflection officer and crew went through immigration. The key is to be among the first passengers to leave the ship. We always walk off and historically we are in the taxi or car between 7:00-8:00. It is stressful if you have a non refundable ticket but we have never missed.

Good Luck.

Coming and going out of Miami is not the same as coming and going out of Fort Lauderdale. I still maintain that the 10:20 flight is too early but then again to each is own.

• 4 months later...

We gave this some serious thought a few years back. What works for us is to not try to catch a flight on the same day the ship ports. We take our good old time getting off the ship, take a taxi to a hotel and do an overnight. Next morning a nice leisurely trip to the airport to catch our flight. Why go thru all that stress after a nice cruise vacation?

If you do self walk off and you are lucky enough and USA customs will be in good and fast mood you can do it) I would not do it .

We gave this some serious thought a few years back. What works for us is to not try to catch a flight on the same day the ship ports. We take our good old time getting off the ship, take a taxi to a hotel and do an overnight. Next morning a nice leisurely trip to the airport to catch our flight. Why go thru all that stress after a nice cruise vacation?

Some times peopole have to go back to work I guess or just don't have extra money to stay in Florida more days .

I'll be on the 12/8 cruise. One plus for you is that there will be lots of people staying on for the 12/13 so the crowd might be a bit less. However, there will be lots of locals on this short cruise and that could increase the number of walk offs. Probably be using Terminal 4 and that can be a real mess. I've experienced major delays there. Good chance that you'll be okay if everything goes very well, but have a plan B. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

We make the 10:10 flight out of FLL every time. We're usually waiting in the airport about 2 hours.

We do like you - line up early and are the first handful off.

We do have a backup of a later flight but we like the early one. 90 min. non stop flight home, gain back an hour, hour drive to the house.

No thanks, we are on vacation and act like it.

Not interested in getting in lining up at 6:30am and schlepping off our luggage just for an early flight. :confused:

Agree with Pickels, next day always works, any cruise, minimum stress. If my time is so tightly scheduled I have to take that early flight, I'll reconsider whether I should be taking the time off. Getting up at 6 AM when I'm on vacation, voluntarily? Not likely.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Too many complicated answers. Here's one straight to the point: NO, you probably won't make it.