Anyone else have trouble proclaiming themselves "Elite"?

seaproponent

I wasn't there, and can't read the mind of the person who said it, but I could see someone asking "how were you invited?" If everyone else who was invited was a suite guest, there is sense and order in that. The other cruises may have known, from seeing each other in Michael's club, or wahtever. Out of 2000-3000 passenger, why did they pic you would be something I could wonder? Curiosity is human nature, and unless I can read someone's mind, I give them the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I still couldn't personally see actually asking the question no matter how curious I was.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna, I was the one who was asked that question. After this remark she told me she got her Suite by demanding it. She told me her husband worked on the docks in NYC years ago and he knew MR. Chandris and they always demanded an upgrade. Then she asked me why I did not demand an upgrade as I sailed many times with Celebrity. This lady was a snob and really not deserving of anything. The other couple were wonderful and put on no airs. Takes all kinds of people to make the world go round.

Pat

Jenna, I was the one who was asked that question. After this remark she told me she got her Suite by demanding it. She told me her husband worked on the docks in NYC years ago and he knew MR. Chandris and they always demanded an upgrade. Then she asked me why I did not demand an upgrade as I sailed many times with Celebrity. This lady was a snob and really not deserving of anything. The other couple were wonderful and put on no airs. Takes all kinds of people to make the world go round.

Pat

Sigh, no need to read minds when they just come out and tell you what they're thinking. All I can say, well do really, is shake my head.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

One situation where things of this nature seem to come up in conversation, is guests invited to Captain's Table or other very special events.

Some say they are in the penthouse, royal suite etc. Some say they are friends with a particular crew member, some say this is their NNNth cruise with X, some it is a special event they talked to the concierge about and one time I had someone say we have no idea we were standing at the martini bar and the host just came and asked if we'd like to come! (clearly a last minute cancellation or something - this was a TA with several captains table dinners to fill!).

Don't understand the fuss. ELITE ain't what it used to be in the Celebrity world. All Elite means now is that you're an Elite+ wannabe. I can't figure out what that plus means though.

Some folks have what Spiro T Agnew used to call "Elite Snobism". Must give those folks a warm feeling.

Others are ex bureaucratic types where the pecking order also was a good feeling to some.

I like the perks and that's it.

I have a 13 ft fishing skiff and I am always happy to be Captain of my ship when I am on the water. I rule with an iron hand but gotta be careful so I don't capsize if I overeach:D.

"I definitely caught the cruise bug! There should be support groups for people like me."

I don't think our paths have ever crossed, but your comments are spot-on. We are fortunate to cruise about twice a year. Most people think we are obsessed; oh, that would be friends and family. For us, it is a time to restore sanity, meet new/old friends, and make wonderful memories. I would call that a "support group." :D

"I definitely caught the cruise bug! There should be support groups for people like me."

I don't think our paths have ever crossed, but your comments are spot-on. We are fortunate to cruise about twice a year. Most people think we are obsessed; oh, that would be friends and family. For us, it is a time to restore sanity, meet new/old friends, and make wonderful memories. I would call that a "support group." :D

There is a support group that meets weekly on most Celebrity ships. Look for "Friends of X" in Celebrity Today for time and place. Usually, but not always, meets at the time and place of the Elite Hour :)

There is a support group that meets weekly on most Celebrity ships. Look for "Friends of X" in Celebrity Today for time and place. Usually, but not always, meets at the time and place of the Elite Hour :)

It's so special it's actually an Elite TWO hours!!! :D

One situation where things of this nature seem to come up in conversation, is guests invited to Captain's Table or other very special events.

It's possible to respond to this question without invoking one's status in the loyalty program or one's cabin class. Simply reply, "The Captain's Club hostess invited me."

It's possible to respond to this question without invoking one's status in the loyalty program or one's cabin class. Simply reply, "The Captain's Club hostess invited me."

it certainly is, but reality is 9 of 10 people wouldn't give it a though either way and just give a factual answer.

I've had people ask me what cabin I'm in I just usually say a nice veranda on deck whatever....then later if I get to know them, may invite them over for pre drink cocktails. on the nice veranda LOL. I don't just spout out "ooh the penthouse". It's how I handled the cabin crawl on my TA this year told the group leader not to advertise it, just add it last minute and surprise folks.

Funny consensus seems to be no-one cares for the the cruiselines advertising their 'status' - yet a double check at the many signatures in cruise critic threads seems to say otherwise - if I see one more glittering diamond GIF twinkle at me in a post I'm going to go blind:D

Yep and the title of this thread is just a round about way of flaunting one's status.

Anyone else have trouble proclaiming themselves "Elite"?

I believe that anyone who is truly perturbed by the "label" scratch their status off their keycard and refuse to attend any function where one is requested to show their "embarrassing status" to the host or hostess. It is time to let Celebrity know that your'e mad as he!! and won't take it anymore. Show them by not consuming another free drink, coffee, internet minute, and wearing wrinkled unwashed garments until Celebrity falls in line with those who demand a different non-elite classification acceptable to the masses. ;)

I have always known that I was elite, it has only taken 67 years for someone else to recognize that fact. :D :D :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

Just joking, 'titles' are not my thing, do not even like for someone to call me mister. It is 'just Robb'.

I believe that anyone who is truly perturbed by the "label" scratch their status off their keycard and refuse to attend any function where one is requested to show their "embarrassing status" to the host or hostess. It is time to let Celebrity know that your'e mad as he!! and won't take it anymore. Show them by not consuming another free drink, coffee, internet minute, and wearing wrinkled unwashed garments until Celebrity falls in line with those who demand a different non-elite classification acceptable to the masses. ;)

Amen!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

i believe that anyone who is truly perturbed by the "label" scratch their status off their keycard and refuse to attend any function where one is requested to show their "embarrassing status" to the host or hostess. It is time to let celebrity know that your'e mad as he!! And won't take it anymore. Show them by not consuming another free drink, coffee, internet minute, and wearing wrinkled unwashed garments until celebrity falls in line with those who demand a different non-elite classification acceptable to the masses. ;)

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I think everyone posting, regardless of their like or dislike for the term Elite, has made it clear they enjoy the perks. The objections seem to be to use of what many would characterize as an emotive and unnecessary term.

But in response to the perhaps radical notion of giving up perks to protest, perhaps the cruise line should indeed offer a medium for those who strongly support use of Elite, be it by sign-off to their posts, conversation on board, or whatever.

Offering a an "I AM ELITE" sandwich board (complete with logo) in the gift shop could add always needed revenue, as well as allowing some passengers to make an offsetting statement to those scratching "Elite" off their cards. It could be worn proudly around the ship, or displayed at the foot of one's deck chair/ adjacent to the dinner table, etc. The possibilities are endless. How about an "I AM ELITE" cumberbun to add a classy touch on formal nights?

Well, I think everyone posting, regardless of their like or dislike for the term Elite, has made it clear they enjoy the perks. The objections seem to be to use of what many would characterize as an emotive and unnecessary term.

But in response to the perhaps radical notion of giving up perks to protest, perhaps the cruise line should indeed offer a medium for those who strongly support use of Elite, be it by sign-off to their posts, conversation on board, or whatever.

Offering a an "I AM ELITE" sandwich board (complete with logo) in the gift shop could add always needed revenue, as well as allowing some passengers to make an offsetting statement to those scratching "Elite" off their cards. It could be worn proudly around the ship, or displayed at the foot of one's deck chair/ adjacent to the dinner table, etc. The possibilities are endless. How about an "I AM ELITE" cumberbun to add a classy touch on formal nights?

I was thinking of having some t-shirts made saying "I'm Elite Plus and I enjoy all the perks that go with it".

Maybe I lost track, but has anybody who is actually Elite objected to the name?

I don't really understand the objection. The definition is: The choice part or flower (of society, or of any body or class of persons). It's a title Celebrity has given to a group of frequent travelers. Does anybody object to being called a VIP? Do you cringe when you book ChoiceAir? It corresponds to Zenith, defined as "The point of the sky directly overhead; the highest point of the celestial sphere as viewed from any particular place; the upper pole of the horizon"

How about "So many Celebrity Perks for me and so Little Time" shirts.

Ok, I admit we run out of free internet minutes but I'll suffer through the 14 days in Sept to obtain E+ Perks (won't use that E word) for South America in 2015.

Pretty sure that we always get same amount of coupons regardless of length of cruise so my surprise is that I don't recall Elites yet proclaiming there should be more coupons for 14 day than 7 day cruise or more for 7 days than 5 etc. Refreshing that perhaps we are happy to be equal as Elite vs wanting to be rewarded for longer cruises! If there is a discussion that starts over inequity of perks I will be so ashamed that I even mentioned running out of minutes! But perhaps common sense prevails; the reality is that one gets more free drinks on a longer cruise and that is a an additional perk that most all seem to be are happy with!