New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

6 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It may be that my phone is just too old (unlike me, of course).  I think I've had it for six or eight years.

That very well may be true.  I had the same issue, and my phone was just as old.  Someone on Cruise Critic stated the phone had to be at least an Android 10 (I think that's what they said).  The phone I had was only an Android 8.  As soon as I got the new phone, I could download the HAL app with no problem.  Only problem now is trying to learn all the new features of the phone!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It may be that my phone is just too old (unlike me, of course).  I think I've had it for six or eight years.

Wow!  I've had 6=8 new versions of the phone in the last 6-8 years 🙂

-gregma

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, iaae22 said:

Hello! We have not sail for 4-5 years and even then never on HAL so I have a few questions about MDR. We are planning Alaska this summer on the Westerdam.

1. Is there restriction on how many app/soup you can order. Sometimes we would like to order extra app to share just to try something. Is it allowed?  Extra charge or not?

2. Same about entry ( very rare but could happen)

3. Does HAL have cheese plate in MDR? Does they count it as app or desert? Can I just ask for one to go? If MDR does not have it is there ‘create my own’ option to grab it from Lido?

4. Is taking food from Lido back to the cabin OK or not? I know I can order room service but sometimes I just like to grab a few things from Lido and bring them to my room.

Thanks!

Cheese plates, although not listed on the menu, are available every evening in the MDR. As a GF option, I ordered it many evening either as my dessert or with a dessert. 

6 hours ago, iaae22 said:

Hello! We have not sail for 4-5 years and even then never on HAL so I have a few questions about MDR. We are planning Alaska this summer on the Westerdam.

1. Is there restriction on how many app/soup you can order.  NO Sometimes we would like to order extra app to share just to try something. Is it allowed?  YES we did it often. Extra charge or not?NO

2. Same about entry ( very rare but could happen) Same answers though we only did it once and four of us were sharing the extra entree. 

3. Does HAL have cheese plate in MDR? YES Does they count it as app or desert? My DH ordered it for dessert. Can I just ask for one to go? If MDR does not have it is there ‘create my own’ option to grab it from Lido? We rarely found cheeses available in Lido except at lunch. 

4. Is taking food from Lido back to the cabin OK or not? We did it without issue.  I know I can order room service but sometimes I just like to grab a few things from Lido and bring them to my room.

Thanks!

See my responses embedded in your post. My responses are based on our October 2022 B2B Alaska and Hawaii cruises aboard Konigsdam. YMMV

if you like Indian food, ask about the Indian menu. It changes each day and has to be ordered the night before.  We loved it!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The only place to get tea-hot water is at one of the premium coffee cafes.  I get mine at explorations cafe.  If is free of charge.  

Hot water from the machines in the Lido is HOT 🔥! I had a 24 oz metal travel mug (someone picked it up on the Rotterdam in January when hubby set it down 😭) and I often would add some cold water when I made my tea because the water was basically boiling.😯

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Hot water from the machines in the Lido is HOT 🔥! I had a 24 oz metal travel mug (someone picked it up on the Rotterdam in January when hubby set it down 😭) and I often would add some cold water when I made my tea because the water was basically boiling.😯

You were lucky.  I have never gotten water hot enough on the lido to make a decent cup of tea - I bring my own tea when sailing.  

On 3/23/2023 at 9:37 AM, crusin'k said:

It has been quite a while since we have sailed with Hal.  Taking a cruise in a week.  Can't wait! Does HAL give us any type of tote bag to take to the pool, etc. or should we plan on bringing one from home?

Got given a very sturdy cloth tote bag on Noordam this week. Very useful20230325_112614.thumb.jpg.cb5fc81aff3cf5794ad190b5554afdb0.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You were lucky.  I have never gotten water hot enough on the lido to make a decent cup of tea - I bring my own tea when sailing.  

Maybe its the Rotterdam. I had the same thing in October when we sailed.

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

No charge for extra appetisers in the Mdr,  but in speciality restaurants there is a charge. Pinnacle Grill charges $15.

Your sentence structure makes it sound as if an extra appetizer in the Pinnacle costs $15; it does not. An extra appetizer in the Pinnacle costs $7. An extra entrée costs $15. 

There are no additional charges for extra items in a course in the Main Dining Room. There are, however, some 'upcharge' items, well marked on the menu. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

Your sentence structure makes it sound as if an extra appetizer in the Pinnacle costs $15; it does not. An extra appetizer in the Pinnacle costs $7. An extra entrée costs $15. 

There are no additional charges for extra items in a course in the Main Dining Room. There are, however, some 'upcharge' items, well marked on the menu. 

Sorry, it's a language translation problem. In Australia, we call the small first course an entree and the second  larger course a 'main course'. The $15 charge applies if you order a second main course. I had an excellent dinner in the Pacific Grill last night, the final night of my NZ  cruise. Serves were quite generous. I couldn't have fitted in an extra course!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

if you like Indian food, ask about the Indian menu. It changes each day and has to be ordered the night before.  We loved it!

On my December Nieuw Amsterdam cruise the waiter did everything possible to dissuade me from ordering from the Indian menu . I didn't bother to escalate the issue so no roti for me . 😞

15 hours ago, RuthC said:

Your sentence structure makes it sound as if an extra appetizer in the Pinnacle costs $15; it does not. An extra appetizer in the Pinnacle costs $7. An extra entrée costs $15. . 

I remember an extra charge for an entrée but don't remember a charge for a second appetizer . Is this new or did I miss it ?  

39 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I remember an extra charge for an entrée but don't remember a charge for a second appetizer . Is this new or did I miss it ?  

Definitely in the Pinnacle on the Rotterdam. A second appetizer is $7+18% gratuity. But the candied bacon was worth it! Personally, I could make a meal out of appetizers. And bread. 😉

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

On my December Nieuw Amsterdam cruise the waiter did everything possible to dissuade me from ordering from the Indian menu . I didn't bother to escalate the issue so no roti for me . 😞

That’s too bad, it was the only truly hot (heat wise) food we were served during our 23 days aboard.  We were sitting near a table of 12 Indians who helped us know what was what and they said that with only a couple of exceptions that the food was prepared as well as they would make at home. 

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Do you remember what excuses he gave you?  Did he tell you the food would be too hot (hot pepper hot) or what?  I've been looking forward to the Indian menu and would be disappointed to be talked out of it, or to learn that the food was too hot for my taste. I love Indian vegetarian food, but cannot eat it if it's too hot-pepper hot. (I wish that English had two words for hot, one for temperature and the other for Carolina Reaper.   🥵 )

Edited by islandwoman

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Do you remember what excuses he gave you? 

It was a lot of blah blah blah covid . We had a new table with new waitstaff most every night . Not ideal and not our choice . Maybe he figured he wouldn't see us again . At least the MDR food was good .

3 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Do you remember what excuses he gave you?  Did he tell you the food would be too hot (hot pepper hot) or what?  I've been looking forward to the Indian menu and would be disappointed to be talked out of it, or to learn that the food was too hot for my taste. I love Indian vegetarian food, but cannot eat it if it's too hot-pepper hot. (I wish that English had two words for hot, one for temperature and the other for Carolina Reaper.   🥵 )

we say heat hot or spicy hot.  I don't like spicy hot!🥴

7 hours ago, richstowe said:

I don't know when the extra charge for an additional appetizer started, but there have been discussions of it on CC, and someone (sorry, I don't remember who, so can't give credit) posted a photo of the fine print on the menu. 

• Like 1

@richstowePhotos from Navigator app for upcoming Rotterdam cruise.  See fine print at bottom of each menu section.  No charge at this time for additional appetizers at Canaletto or Tamarind or MDR.  No charge for additional entree in MDR.83A50437-68B4-4335-B3AA-494FD9561FD5.thumb.jpeg.381c6cb8f486cd0aa144ba837d1a11fc.jpeg

Pinnacle $7 for additional appetizer.

0DE4628F-7A45-495D-BDC0-BE019A52B620.thumb.jpeg.0c0ca58a4c27dec95bde514f2b8d5443.jpeg Pinnacle $15 for an additional entree.Rudi’s also charges $15 for an additional entree.

C29041DF-F7FE-45C9-84D6-9FD10EEB99AE.jpeg.8f222243cc97c4bec2e205025c06f55f.jpeg

Canaletto $10 for an additional entree

4FD74426-9396-4184-A94C-376CAE330DD8.thumb.jpeg.5d50d448703fb597e54defd9dec78acd.jpeg

Tamarind $10 for an additional entree

Also, if you want a vegetarian or Indian menu, ask for it.  If the waiter is reluctant, ask to speak to the maitre d.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, richstowe said:

It was a lot of blah blah blah covid . We had a new table with new waitstaff most every night . Not ideal and not our choice . Maybe he figured he wouldn't see us again . At least the MDR food was good .

I will always listen politely to the waiter's suggestions, but I will also then politely insist on doing what I want to do. We were on a Celebrity cruise once where the waiter tried really hard to talk me out of something. I got it anyway, and it was the best thing I had all that week of mostly mediocre food.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I will always listen politely to the waiter's suggestions, but I will also then politely insist on doing what I want to do.

Not to worry .Some are passive-aggressive . DW says I'm agressive-agressive . 😁This was part of a larger "discussion" with the waitstaff . What I also requested and then requested harder was creme brulee which I got the next night . It did seem like there were more unneeded discussions on this cruise then usual . The food was still good although missing stuff like shrimp cocktails, steak and the aforementioned creme brulee and Indian food .

Edited to say always polite and then polite and then assertive but polite and then not quite so polite .

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 1