Cabin square footage?

PinotBlanc

Does the Celebrity cabin square footage include all space (living area, bathroom, closet, etc.) plus the balcony?

What is the minimum square footage you can tolerate?

On a cruise (RCL) this summer, we learned 153 sf for two was too small.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

Everyone's needs/experiences vary.

Depends on the cruise. Depends on the pricing. Depends on the length.

We've been in around 140 sq. ft on a short cruise and it was tolerable. Probably not so on 14+ days. Balcony adds to the available space so generally (but definitely not always) sail in balcony cabins.

Done suites (Sky/Royal) but can't conceive doing that again. Prices are ridiculous IMHO and would much rather sail more frequently than less in a suite. Suite never came close to spoiling us (we've done OV since). We cruise for the travel, not the room.

We're comfortable in about 160 sq feet...have done far less on trains, river cruises, norway coast cruises. The last thing I want is huge space....I enjoy meeting people, taking part in activities and eating in the various venues, socializing.

Heck...if I wanted to stay in my cabin, I might as well stay home and have 3000 sq ft overlooking boats and water :) We have no reason to book a suite (that may change with the new dining room)....we're perfectly happy with aqua or even a non obstructed view, quiet veranda on Celebrity ships. As far as "status", our friends seem to fixate on the number of cruises we do and where we've been (we travel a good deal) rather than what type of cabin we have (actually, they never care).

Edited by ghstudio

Does the Celebrity cabin square footage include all space (living area, bathroom, closet, etc.) plus the balcony? What is the minimum square footage you can tolerate? On a cruise (RCL) this summer, we learned 153 sf for two was too small. Penny

Hi, Penny! Great first name. That's my wife's first name. YES, 153 sq. ft. can be too small. BUT, there are number of factors. As detailed below, we did an Australia-NZ sailing. We were fortunate to have booked early and had a Celebrity Suite at not too bad of a price difference. For a 14-day cruise, it really helped in having that added room.

BUT, there are a number of different factors, including the total number of days cruising, how port-intensitive is your cruise, your budget, offerings by the cruise lines, etc. The normal, total room size on the Solstice-class ships are at 191 sq. ft., not counting the balcony space. Clearly a balcony helps in making things seem a little more roomy.

YES, doing a suite is nice, but depending on demand and pricing levels, such a larger space might not be affordable, reasonable. It's Economics 101!! Supply and demand. On a more port-focused cruise, you probably will not be spending as much time in your room.

Good luck in your planning . . . and spending!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,096 views for this fun posting.

We have only cruised Celebrity in Concierge Class (both M & S Ships)... That puts us in cabins just under 200 Sq Feet. So far works for us.

But I agree, we also are the folks who greatly appreciate (need ?) a balcony... And we hunt out the irregular / oversized ones.

Does this mean we wouldn't / couldn't travel with less? No.

Lol have done my share of land trips with CONSIDERABLY less space & comfort... Especially in my 20s when it was all about the Destination and not about getting there. Camping trips in a pup tent (really sucks in the rain) thru to days on end on a Greyhound Bus or Via Rail / Amtrack Train in nothing more that an Economy Seat. (nothing gives one an idea better how BIG North America is like a sore butt from sitting for 5000 miles)

So cruising for me truly is "Modern Luxury"

And am truly thankful for any cruise we go on... As the saying goes "a day on vacation is ALWAYS better than a day at work"

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Everyone's needs/experiences vary.

Depends on the cruise. Depends on the pricing. Depends on the length.

We've been in around 140 sq. ft on a short cruise and it was tolerable. Probably not so on 14+ days. Balcony adds to the available space so generally (but definitely not always) sail in balcony cabins.

m.

I have been in balcony cabins and although I guess that it depends upon the specific cabin, I find that there is less functional space in a balcony cabin than an outside view cabin even if the square footage may be bigger. Because you have to allow access to the balcony, this means that you do not have optimum placement of the bed and other furniture. Also, if you have an outside view cabin, you have a lot of storage space for stuff (electronics, camera, binoculars, etc.) on the window ledge that you loose with a balcony.

There are cruises where a balcony is nice to have but in my opinion, they are few and far between.

DON

I've very comfortable in the standard veranda cabins, which I understand have more or less the same square footage as the insides and OV cabins.

Sure I love it when we've sailed a larger cabin, but the difference in the enjoyment of our cruise hasn't been significantly different.

To say I "tolerate" these standard sized cabins would be a vast understatement.

Oh, and by the way, I've never paid any attention to the square footage of the cabins we've sailed so I couldn't begin to tell you what they are without looking them up.

The only time I've ever had issues with the size of any accommodation has been in some of the older less expensive hotels in Europe pre or post cruise - and that is really only because some of them haven't been big enough to hold both us and all the luggage we've brought for our cruises!

Edited by Lsimon

We prefer a room with at least 230-325 sq ft. The 1A was kinda small but we had the bed by the balcony; I wonder if the sofa near the balcony would make it feel like there's more room? We did have the triple-large balcony so that helped too.

We have a suite for the upcoming cruise and are really glad. We do like to spend time in a nice large room and balcony. Not too interested in milling with crowds (like at the pool at mid day) because we go on vacation to relax and rest. The extra cost (and perks) are fine with us. :)

We prefer a room with at least 230-325 sq ft. The 1A was kinda small but we had the bed by the balcony; I wonder if the sofa near the balcony would make it feel like there's more room? We did have the triple-large balcony so that helped too.

We have a suite for the upcoming cruise and are really glad. We do like to spend time in a nice large room and balcony. Not too interested in milling with crowds (like at the pool at mid day) because we go on vacation to relax and rest. The extra cost (and perks) are fine with us. :)

We have sailed in both Celebrity Layouts, on both classes of ships... And both had oversized balconies.

The room that had the bed by the bath did make access / enjoying the balcony easier (for us that was an M-Class Sunset Aft Cabin)

But, hard to beat a bed by balcony layout if you like to enjoy time lying in bed listening to the surf (for us that was an S-Class "hump" cabin)

Cheers!

We'll look for a hump veranda w/sofa by the balcony for future Celebrity cruises. The smallest cabins won't fit us any longer. I'm getting older and packing more these days.

Suites could spoil the budget for cruising. It's definitely time to watch square footage and look for cabins with 200+ sq ft.

The opinions helped. Our thanks to all.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

We prefer and love balconies, but getting one depends on the circumstances at time of booking etc.

We had to have an aft balcony for Alaska and it was stupendous to say the least, but if we need to, we can make do with an inside if the price is right and we cannot pass it up.

If we do more than one or two cruises a year, then we may have to take the inside. We have 3 this fiscal year, one on Allure last May(balcony), one coming up Reflection(balcony) and then we noticed a deal on Legend of the Seas inside 10 day to Hawaii next May again, where we will spend some days with brother n law who lives in Honolulu, for only $629 per person! We couldn't pass it up, to get a balcony would almost triple the price. And since Hawaii is VERY expensive once you get there, it was the cheapest way to see 4 islands and the Inlaws.

Honestly, we'll be saving money doing Hawaii as a cruise instead of flying, of course we have to go home that way, but if we insisted on a balcony (really wish we could) we couldn't justify the extra expense....and this way we get to exercise our true passion, cruising. And the top deck is only a few steps and an elevator ride away. We can hang there.....;)

Edited by BecciBoo

We are also quite ok with the just-under 200 sf of either CC or AQ. You just get a different mindset...it's not your home, it's not even a hotel...you just deal with it.

Would I like a suite? Sure...well, maybe...I love our aft balconies and they just about double our interior living space.

Penthouse would be ok...

But I'm ok with what we do.

I have sailed in virtually every cabin type up to a corner aft Sky Suite (a rare luxury we can no longer afford with Celebrity's current pricing), from inside on Princess at around 160 sq ft and up. On most cruises, there have been three of us to a cabin. While more room is certainly nicer, we have had no issues at all in sailing regular outside or balcony cabins. I am not a fan of inside, but that is not a factor of size but for other reasons. Once we went to balcony, we do find it hard to go back from there. Even if the cabin is no larger than an outside, it feels larger with the big patio doors (and of course the use of the balcony itself). M class cabins are a bit smaller than S class cabins - 172 sq ft I believe (although their CC and AQ are bigger than the average balcony cabin).

What one can 'tolerate' of course varies by person. I suspect that some of those who can only tolerate Sky Suite or larger might find that their level of acceptance of smaller cabins might change if their finances so demanded. But for others, sailing once every two years in a suite is their preference over a cruise or two every year in a balcony or outside cabin. To each their own. I always said that for me, travel is what matters. At this stage of the game, for me that means mid-priced land travel and non-suite cruises, with several trips per year. I have pledged that in later years if the budget would only allow Motel Six rather than Homewood Suites or Doubletree, then that is what I would do if the alternative was to stay home. It's all about what matters to you, and what you can afford. There is no bad room on a Celebrity cruise IMHO - some are just better than others:)

The sq. footage listed includes the bathroom, closets, etc....does NOT include the balcony.

We like a cabins in the 250-350 sq. ft. range....that's most like a good hotel room. We like to be able to walk about, without bumping into each other! Our 1st cruise was on an older, smaller ship, and the cabin was so tight, only 1 could be walking at a time! I did NOT enjoy that at all.

When on vacation, I want to be AT LEAST as comfortable as at home, if not moreso!

....... We like to be able to walk about, without bumping into each other!....
...whereas we enjoy bumping into each other. :D

The available storage space in the cabin is more important to us than the amount of empty floor space.

For regular non-suite cabins, we much prefer the storage layout of the M-class cabins to the S-class cabins.

Regardless of the cabin size or type we have, we tend to spend more time out on the balcony than inside the cabin itself, except for sleeping and bathroom time. We do doze off and take naps out on the balcony sometimes.

A suite is especially nice to have and much appreciated when one of us is hurting or not feeling well and we enjoy the pampering of the butler at such times.

Otherwise, we are pretty much do-it-yourself types so the services of the butler are mainly wasted on us.

When it comes to snacks, we prefer to wander around the ship and pick out what we want, instead of having the butler bring the snacks and drinks to us. So much to the chagrin of our butler, we typically turn down the daily fruit, the canapes and the tea time deliveries, (trying to rationalize that we are burning up calories by walking around to get them, even though we know all too well that we are consuming far more calories than we are burning up). ;)

We do enjoy having the butler set up the table for breakfast out on the balcony though, and having some dinners out on the balcony.

But when we do not have a butler, we have the room service trays placed on the coffee table close to the balcony door, where it really takes very little effort to uncover the dishes and carry them out to the balcony ourselves, as we want them.

I know some people say that once you have a suite, it is hard to go back to a regular cabin, but for us that has not been the case at all and we very easily go back and forth.

Can I throw out a question here?

So far we have always had a balcony/verandah [about 200 sq ft], but about 20 days has been our longest cruise. No worries so far.

We are hoping for a couple og longer cruises over the next few years 28-35 days and then the biggy 100+ days anyone got any take on will we by Ok in the same.

I do spend a lot of time in my cabin as I have health issues, but in reality we have a great big ship to take advantage of anyway.

Can I throw out a question here?

So far we have always had a balcony/verandah [about 200 sq ft], but about 20 days has been our longest cruise. No worries so far.

We are hoping for a couple og longer cruises over the next few years 28-35 days and then the biggy 100+ days anyone got any take on will we by Ok in the same.

I do spend a lot of time in my cabin as I have health issues, but in reality we have a great big ship to take advantage of anyway.

Hi GUT2407,

You soooo need to read this post over on the CC Princess Board... And the corresponding Blog that documents a couple that "Winter" every year at Sea (100+ Nights a Year) they have been doing so since 2011.

A great read for sure !!

100 Nights at Sea = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1575538

Yellow Fish Cruises Blog = http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.ca/

I have only read one account / season, but it was truly fascinating. They lived in an Inside Cabin & Survived... in fact they had a great old time.

So yes it is truly possible.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We found the smaller balcony cabin (E category) on Royal Caribbean's Radiance at approx. 167 sq ft was just a bit too squashy for comfortably relaxing when we choose to.

I don't care if people want to stay in or want to just sleep there and get out and enjoy, I like to have the choice, and we felt uncomfortable sitting in the 2 seater sofa, as it is half the size of a 3 seater in the D Category cabins, so really a 1 1/2 seater. Also having room service breakfast, or getting showered and dressed was too cramped. Some people are happy to leave their cabin straight away. I like to feel comfortable. That is part of what I want in my holiday these days.

So we would only consider a cabin from 190+, and that is where we are looking forward to our upcoming Solstice balcony cabin.

However after sailing a few times in a Junior Suite on Royal, at 240-300 sq ft, and once a Grand Suite on Voyager at 349 sq ft, we find the Junior Suite size just so nice, but the Grand Suite was not enough of a difference for us to spend the extra (although then you start factoring in suite perks).

Would we go for a smaller cabin, maybe, but never an inside in the fifth row on a Voyager class. That is something I haven't seen on Celebrity deck plans. That inside fifth row suit plenty of others though, it is up to each person what they see as value for money.

I have been in balcony cabins and although I guess that it depends upon the specific cabin, I find that there is less functional space in a balcony cabin than an outside view cabin even if the square footage may be bigger. Because you have to allow access to the balcony, this means that you do not have optimum placement of the bed and other furniture. Also, if you have an outside view cabin, you have a lot of storage space for stuff (electronics, camera, binoculars, etc.) on the window ledge that you loose with a balcony.

There are cruises where a balcony is nice to have but in my opinion, they are few and far between.

DON

DH & I take cabins with best price and opportunity. We put items on the window ledge when using an OV. Watching the waves outside the window is a treat.

Our favorite on Celebrity is hump balcony. We've cruised 30+ days back to back TA/Med with inside cabins. It's doable. We don't plan to relax in the cabin. Mirrors make the small spaces seem larger. We stack clothes on wall space. Best bet for an inside on longer cruises is to get one close to a stairwell for easy access to lounge areas.

After 30+ days on Equinox in 2010 we decided our Celebrity cruises on S ships had to come with views of the sea due to the design of the ships. OV and inside are okay on M ships due to the promenades and lounges with windows.

Like SloopJohn-B, I've taken many long rides on Amtrak. I'd rather sit in coach with views out both sides rather than rest cramped in a sleep car.

On any ship, we don't spend extra time in the cabin. We don't think about the square footage, it's more about the ports for the money.

We may splurge on a Suite someday; but, it's still a small space compared to home. I like this thread.

-Marisa

We're comfortable in about 160 sq feet...have done far less on trains, river cruises, norway coast cruises. The last thing I want is huge space....I enjoy meeting people, taking part in activities and eating in the various venues, socializing.

Heck...if I wanted to stay in my cabin, I might as well stay home and have 3000 sq ft overlooking boats and water :) We have no reason to book a suite (that may change with the new dining room)....we're perfectly happy with aqua or even a non obstructed view, quiet veranda on Celebrity ships. As far as "status", our friends seem to fixate on the number of cruises we do and where we've been (we travel a good deal) rather than what type of cabin we have (actually, they never care).

The Penthouse Suite was bigger than our first house!