how to get discount @ specialty restaurant

medfordgirl

It's probably been asked but I can't find it. How can I get a discount at a specialty restaurant? my parents are cruising with us in december to celebrate their 60th anniversary and my hubby and I wanted to take them to Qsuine..since none of us have tried it. one dinner is going to cost us $200 (will do it regardless of getting a discount or not) just hoping to save a little there. any suggestions?

Do they have a love/marriage show? any chance my parents could be the longest married? would be fun.

Oh and we were thinking of carrying all our luggage on…anyone ever have a problem with that? we purchased ultra lite luggage and will take one each. Also bought my parents the same so they could do the same.

Sometimes the first evening they will sell for a discount, but if the rest of the cruise has sold well they wont.

No need to carry-on luggage, just give it to the porter as you have on previous cruises. Now leaving is a different topic all together.

Yes, most sailings in the past have had the Love & Marriage show.

Sometimes the first evening they will sell for a discount, but if the rest of the cruise has sold well they wont.

No need to carry-on luggage, just give it to the porter as you have on previous cruises. Now leaving is a different topic all together.

Yes, most sailings in the past have had the Love & Marriage show.

They call it "The Newly Wed, Not So Newly Wed Game". Tell the Cruise Director about your parents to enhance their chance of being selected. Congratulations to them and many wonderful years ahead.

If you are in Aqua Class you will have the opportunity to get 1/2 off any resturant for the first night on board.

The Love and Marriage show is usually held late night. They have 4 categories that they choose from.

Recently married, honeymooners, and then ranges of time being married. They put the names into a container for each category and draw from it. Sometimes there are many and other times hardly any willing participants.

They ask the wives questions while the husbands are out of the room and they repeat it with the husbands. The questions are rather embarrassing, such as their first time having sex, most unusual place that they had sex. Describe what kind of lover they are. What did they do on their first date. It is unbelievable on what people are willing to do or say. One guy told about some unusual place that he had sex and his wife looked at him and said that they never did that. He looked at her and asked rather surprisingly " that wasn't you?"

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Our Adriatic cruise on Silhoutte had at least 2 nights with 1/2 off specialties not counting the first night. They were making the reservations outside the buffet at lunch time. It was a port intensive cruise which might have meant people were not booking the specialties. I was happy we had not paid full price the first few nights as the deals were after a few days.

Our Adriatic cruise on Silhoutte had at least 2 nights with 1/2 off specialties not counting the first night. They were making the reservations outside the buffet at lunch time. It was a port intensive cruise which might have meant people were not booking the specialties. I was happy we had not paid full price the first few nights as the deals were after a few days.

On the Oct 4 Holy Land cruise it was 2 for 1 everynight even formal night

As already stated specials may vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. Really depends on the number of unsold reservations. The first night is normally slow so to promote Specialty restaurants there is often a special. Some times it's 20% off, sometimes 25% off, sometimes 50% off. Each maître 'd is given a target number they should meet and if they are in need of some people they will offer an incentive. Try speaking to the Maitre 'd and tell them what you want to do. They just might suggest a night when they can offer a discount. Look for special cooking demonstrations and/or events. They may offer a discount to those who attend.

As others have stated, sometimes they do have discounts at the Specialty

Restaurants...you need to find out after you board the ship.

And yes, I have seen "The New Newlywed Game" many, many times.

Speak with the Cruise Director and I bet your folks could be one of

the couples chosen:)

Congratulations to your parents on 60 years.

Celebrity used to have a party for those celebrating an anniversary or honeymoon on board and they recognized and gave prizes to the longest wed. I don't know if they still do this. 60 years would be very close to, if not the top, for longest wed. They should also have a cake to celebrate at dinner on their anniversary.

Does your parents reservation indicate this very special occasion? If not, contact your travel agent or Celebrity and have it added.

Mary Lou

The best strategy for getting a discount at the specialty restaurants is to book a cruise that is long in length during a time period where the ships do not sell out. Cruises of 7 days or less that are sold out tend to have little or no discounts as they can fully book the restaurants at full price. While I can't say for certain as I've never cruised then, I'd guess that the odds will be decent that your December 13th cruise will probably have some discounts even though it is 7 night cruise. You won't know for certain until you get on board.

...Does your parents reservation indicate this very special occasion? If not, contact your travel agent or Celebrity and have it added....

Good advice, but you should still talk to guest relations about this once you are on board to find out about any possible events. These sorts of messages do not always get communicated to the right people on board. Also, if you wish the celebrate with a cake and possible recognition by the wait staff at dinner be sure to mention this to the maître d' in advance and remind them the night of the event as well. I've read many posts on Cruise Critic about people that were miffed as their big event wasn't properly followed through by staff that somehow didn't get, or forgot, the message but didn't bother reminding the staff.

Edited by Lsimon

Good advice, but you should still talk to guest relations about this once you are on board to find out about any possible events. These sorts of messages do not always get communicated to the right people on board. Also, if you wish the celebrate with a cake and possible recognition by the wait staff at dinner be sure to mention this to the maître d' in advance and remind them the night of the event as well. I've read many posts on Cruise Critic about people that were miffed as their big event wasn't properly followed through by staff that somehow didn't get, or forgot, the message but didn't bother reminding the staff.

Good point, I meant to mention that.

Mary Lou

Hi, For the past three years, I have gone to the Qzine restaurant early in the day on the day we wanted and I have asked the Head Waiter for a discount for our group for that evening. Each time, I was offered a price $39/ per person which I accepted. We loved our dinner at this very reasonable price (plus tip).

we love the specialty restaurants, but prefer to find a "deal".

1. IF you are in aqua class you should get an offer of 50% off on the first night.

2. Look for a guy at a podium near the buffet at lunchtime. His job is to fill the specialty restaurants and he will make you a deal.

3. Go to any demonstration at one of the restaurants and casually mention you "might" choose to dine there tonight. You will probably be offered a discount. 30% off is most likely.

Enjoy your cruise!

Please do not carry your luggage aboard! Boarding day is enough of a zoo without people trying to drag their large luggage around. The elevators are crowded and it is rude to other passengers. Just drop it with the porters and it will appear in your room a few hours later.

Btw if you do decide to carry it on, be aware that it has to go through the scanner and must be able to fit on the conveyor belt.

If I was lucky enough to have parents who had been married 60 years, meaning they are probably close to 80, I would NEVER start their vacation by having them drag their baggage around with them, especially when it is so easy to have it done for them.

Also second not carrying luggage onboard. It's hard enough for the younger folks who have purses and laptops they carry on.

Everyones mileage varies, but my father disliked every unique dining I gave him, especially for traditional celebrations. For the actual 60th celebration I would go more formal and less casual. Quisine is whimsical and I have never had that extra special attention to detail service there. There is more heart in the service in other specialty restaurants.

We were on the Reflection in June and almost every night we had a message on our phone offering us anywhere from 25% to 50% off on specialty restaurant for that night. We were in an Aqua Class suite (only on Reflection) so can't say that everyone was receiving those offers. I do suspect that they may offer those deals first to people that eat in Blu since it tends to be overcrowded and they may try to ease that overcrowding...but anyway..check your phone messages!!!

We got a 2 for 1 deal in Tuscan Grill on our last Eclipse cruise, the MDR staff were offering this for Qsine one night but I asked if they would give us the same deal in TG. Initially the asstnt MD offered us 20% off, but I pressed him for more and got the half price deal.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the responses. I have been off for a while. just found my post. I will definitely ask for a discount. would love to get a two for one. that would be awesome. then my hubby can buy more wine. :p and I will also look for the cruise director and mention my parents and if they could be on the show. I know my dad would love that…he is such a ham. and the two of them together is like abbott and costello. As for the luggage. I think we may check them in but we are definitely going to carry off. the last few times leaving the ship were so hectic my hubby was ready to stop cruising. He said he will try the carry out luggage and if that works then we will continue to cruise. The luggage if very lite weight and very easy to manage but if my parents have a hard time then my hubby and I can each take 2 bags…they are that manageable. I just wish I could get Celebrity to sell me an upgrade for my parents at a deep discount. I called them today and they wouldn't give me anything. :(

On my last med-cruise they only offered 20% off. On my med cruise 2 years prior, they offered 2 for one some nights (not for Muranos though).

During our overnight in Venice, we had what could have been a fine dinner made worse by the crew. The servers were fine- it was the crew members who were allowed to eat there that night that made it worse. How many cell-phone pics can you take of you and your co-workers?...*flash* *flash* *flash* *flash* *flash* *flash* *flash*...

On my last med-cruise they only offered 20% off. On my med cruise 2 years prior, they offered 2 for one some nights (not for Muranos though).

During our overnight in Venice, we had what could have been a fine dinner made worse by the crew. The servers were fine- it was the crew members who were allowed to eat there that night that made it worse. How many cell-phone pics can you take of you and your co-workers?...*flash* *flash* *flash* *flash* *flash* *flash* *flash*...

The disturbance was just bad Karma because you choose to pay extra to eat in the specialty restaurant instead of dining at one of Venice's wonderful restaurants while you were in port.