Which year will Celebrity go all inclusive?

Ex-Airbalancer

Celebrity is a mass market cruise line....with over 800,000 passengers boarding their ships each year. Their challenge is to carve out a niche, a profitable niche in that market. They've done quite well to date....they are, IMHO, the "classiest" of the mass market lines. They cater to an audience with different budgets and/or priorities. Their marketing department gushes offers to entice folks to a) sail on celebrity and b) upgrade to get better offers....thus 1-2-3 or 1 and 2 and 3 and so on. Their latest focus is on suites where they charge a premium and they are trying to offer even a better experience for more money. They haven't abandoned everyone else...1-2-3 seems to work so they continue that option with various twists and turns. They seem to get everyone confused (including themselves) with book on ship offers, captain's club offers, stockholder relations offers, 1-2-3 offers, lowest fare offers. I don't think anyone understands how they all interact..and of course they are different in each geography. Some day they will sort all this out...or they won't....but in the end, they have to find 800,000+ folks every year.

I doubt that they can or will go to all inclusive...and to me that means all drinks, all excursions, all specialty restaurants...other than in the galapagos (wonderful cruise). Too many don't drink, don't want specialty restaurants etc. They need to continue to offer a la carte...but of course they can offer all inclusive as well....eg the ultimate dining package.

I don't expect Celebrity to go to all inclusive ONLY....ever. I think it will evolve as an option, if they can figure out how to do it...but I suspect that few will take them up on it.

my 2 cents...worth probably 1 cent.

In general people always want to feel like they are getting something for nothing. I think the current strategy of promoting an all inclusive experience by making it appear that it's a limited time offer is filling their ships at a higher price and getting people like me who would normally book an ocean view 6 months out to book a C2 18 months out. However they really need to tread lightly because if the price goes too high and it no longer appears to be a deal or the passengers can't afford it, they will seek out the competition and Celebrity will lose the clientele that they built up.

They never will. To become all inclusive they will have to raise their prices substantially to cover all the lost revenue they now earn from drinks, specialty dining, etc. In a very competitive industry, that will drive many customers away, including me. I have no desire to pay more for a cruise so John Doe and his wife can consume alcoholic drinks all day. And I have no interest in paying for things I won't be using.

Their current business model is just fine.

Honestly, my opinion is that you are already paying quite a bit more for the 'free' offers they have regularly. Certainly that is the case on my recent cruises! But I do agree with you in principal - would rather they not go all-inclusive as it is nice to have some options.

This is how a lousy rumor is started!

I don't agree. This is speculation, but I see it as very possible.

I've always been opposed to the cruise line going all inclusive, since I don't want to pay for what I won't use. A drink package has never made sense for us since I only have a glass or two of wine each day. My husband enjoys a couple of beers too. We get our fill primarily at the the Elite party.

That being said, I almost booked a cruise yesterday because I didn't want to miss the 123 Inclusive sale. It sounded so good! It made me rethink the inclusive idea.

I'd love to see the gratuities included in the cruise price. I'd like some wine and beer included in the cruise price. I don't expect fine wines or craft beers to be included, but 2 buck chuck and some domestic beer would be nice.

And don't kid yourselves, we're already paying for the all inclusive. What stopped me from booking the cruise yesterday was the cost. An 11 night Hawaiian cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver was $2,459.00 for Concierge class. In 2013 a 15 day cruise round trip San Diego to Hawaii was $2,222for a suite.

For us it's about as all inclusive as we like....with higher prices, triple perks and booking in AQ, we only need to spend extra if we want to for Specialty dining, excursions and the spa...

would not sail on any ship with the dine around plan being introduced on the new Royal ships...not appealing to us!

Go from your choice of three incredible offers to getting it all. Simply book Concierge Class accommodations in Alaska and go ALL-INCLUSIVE

when you receive all three 123go! offers. And, for just a little more,

move up to an AquaClass® stateroom and unwind in a spa-inspired

stateroom, relax with complimentary access to Persian

Garden, and enjoy exclusive access to Blu restaurant.

How is now as an answer... but look at the prices

ScreenShot2014-12-16at80043PM_zps470952de.png

Edited by Arno.

to clarify all-inclusive to me means, nonalcoholic drinks, food , tips but not spa , services, pictures or for excursions, basically the 123 package include all their pricing

I think Tips should've already included in the price since you're basically paying that anyways

I would like to see non alcohols package included and pay for the booze that you want, in most cases people would enjoy better coffee , bottled water and soft drinks

to clarify all-inclusive to me means, nonalcoholic drinks, food , tips but not spa , services, pictures or for excursions, basically the 123 package include all their pricing

I think Tips should've already included in the price since you're basically paying that anyways

I would like to see non alcohols package included and pay for the booze that you want, in most cases people would enjoy better coffee , bottled water and soft drinks

How can it be "all inclusive" if half the extras now available would still require a fee? That is NOT all inclusive, no matter how you spin it. "Partially inclusive" is a better term.

I thought they were already all-inclusive. You bring the money - You get anything you want.

Agree. If they want all inclusive pricing, they will price themselves out of the mainstream market. Their product isn't good enough for anything else.

I agree 100% with Andy. The day they go all inclusive is the day I will cross Celebrity off my list. I think the raised prices on some itineraries and the cut backs are due to the inclusion of these new perks. However, people seem to like them and the shares are going gung-ho, so who am I to complain? The lost revenue from all those drinks has to be recouped somewhere.

Because of the higher cost associated with the 123 inclusive, I don't have any cruises booked. I have never paid more than $100 per day, for a concierge, and I don't plan to start now. The cruise I wanted has a $900 per person increase between a oceanview and a concierge, and there are a lot of concierges available. The other lines are over $500 per person less for the same length cruise at the same time. The difference being is they don't have the 123 Rip off. I've cruised them all and due to Celebrity's cutbacks, they are all similar. The only real benefit X has is the perks for being Elite Plus.

Hi Everyone,

While I strongly hope it never happens, I suspect Celebrity may eventually go "more inclusive", (not "all inclusive"), by including items such as alcohol, soft drinks and gratuities.

As we rarely drink alcoholic beverages, I'd rather not have a price increase, to include this. Let's face it, there's no free lunch, and if they go more inclusive, expect prices to increase significantly.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather Celebrity stay with their current system, via sales promos like 123 GO. I'd rather pay extra for items we'll enjoy, and customize our vacation as we please.

Andy

I could not agree more. Although we love the new suite benefits package, I would hate Celebrity to go totally all inclusive. We only tried the beverage packages a couple of time because the wines offered by the glass are not the ones we would choose [hoping, perhaps, this will improve when the benefist come into force]. So we are already paying for "stuff" [Premium Beverage Package, Unlimited Internet, for example] we will not get full value from by booking a suite.

"Fully" inclusive really would not interest us. We really would not want to be paying for shore excursions, for example, in our cruise price.

I don't think they will go all-inclusive, but they do seem to be pricing their cruises now to include the 123 package. I have no problem with the gratuities being included, but we don't drink enough to make the beverage package worthwhile, so it is not good value for us (and the drinks that we prefer are not included in the package anyway).

We are booked for 2015, and, after many happy years cruising with X, we feel this may be our last Celebrity cruise, as the product they are now offering is no longer the right choice for us - although I do understand that it may be very attractive for others who would get better value from it.

I don't think they will go all-inclusive, but they do seem to be pricing their cruises now to include the 123 package. I have no problem with the gratuities being included, but we don't drink enough to make the beverage package worthwhile, so it is not good value for us (and the drinks that we prefer are not included in the package anyway).

We agree. Include the gratuities with the basic fare; skip the drink packages, specialty restaurants, classes, excursions, and other stuff. Offer AI only for a series of the top suites if they wish. Let us purchase the other options we wish to use/experience.

Hope they don`t.

Concur, let us pay for what we want to pay for.

Drink packages don't work for us. Why pay $50 per day per person when we don't drink bottled water, $5 coffee, special tea, and are elite (with free happy hour).

All inclusive would be a cookie cutter approach, forcing us to do it all. Like me (male) paying for maternity insurance.

We also believe the way the price now is the best way to handle the all inclusive aspects. Now you can take the higher price which includes 1,2, 3 benefits or you can wait and the price comes down 700 to 1000 less. If you are elite or elite plus there is not much of a benefit to the drink package. If the go to inclusive packages then one of the benefits of elite and elite plus disappear. So this is the best way to handle it now without disappointing a lot of people.

I think the various promos and the "all-inclusive" concept is not targeted at the existing cruisers who already know it isn't necessarily a good deal for them. For people who have never cruised, and have not paid attention to price trends, all-inclusive is very appealing. Just look at land resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. At least in my social circle, I know very few people who would book anything other than all-inclusive. They like to know that the vast majority of their expenses are taken care of before they leave home, so they can relax and enjoy. Horror stories of high cruise ship bar bills scare many potential cruisers.

Personally, I must admit that all-inclusive pricing is appealing to me for the main reason that, if I had the choice to pay $50 per day for drinks, I'd probably never do it, but if it's included, I'll enjoy it.

For gratuities to be included just makes sense from every angle (except perhaps the cruise line's accountant's) and probably works out better for the staff, as passengers who didn't have to consciously pay gratuities will probably be more generous with cash tips at the end of the trip.

Either way, we just have to look at the big picture and decide whether we want to pay the asking price for what we're getting. So far for us, the answer is still yes.

If Celebrity ever goes to AI, we will be done with Celebrity. I have no desire to have all Specialty restaurants, classes and shore excursions be included in the price I pay.

As far as the 123Go promo resulting in higher cruise prices, we have been fortunate to get the best deals ever on cabin price for a cruise we took in March and one we have booked in June. For both of these my TA had a fabulous group price on C3 cabins. They both included drink package, gratuities and lots of OBC. We just always keep our eyes open for great deals and almost always book a year ahead.

I think the various promos and the "all-inclusive" concept is not targeted at the existing cruisers who already know it isn't necessarily a good deal for them. For people who have never cruised, and have not paid attention to price trends, all-inclusive is very appealing. Just look at land resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. At least in my social circle, I know very few people who would book anything other than all-inclusive. They like to know that the vast majority of their expenses are taken care of before they leave home, so they can relax and enjoy. Horror stories of high cruise ship bar bills scare many potential cruisers.

Personally, I must admit that all-inclusive pricing is appealing to me for the main reason that, if I had the choice to pay $50 per day for drinks, I'd probably never do it, but if it's included, I'll enjoy it.

For gratuities to be included just makes sense from every angle (except perhaps the cruise line's accountant's) and probably works out better for the staff, as passengers who didn't have to consciously pay gratuities will probably be more generous with cash tips at the end of the trip.

Either way, we just have to look at the big picture and decide whether we want to pay the asking price for what we're getting. So far for us, the answer is still yes.

Good observation

I totally agree.

I think Celebrity has very smartly found a way to market themselves when they needed to, and now they see this as a strategy that has longer term potential

The Cruise Industry says that they are continually looking for the NEW Customer / Cruiser

No where as this been more evident than in recent years... Especially when America's Economy was having problems

Cruise Cos looked elsewhere worldwide to stronger economies to strengthen their Customer base / bottom line (witness the UK - Australia - and China)

No where was this as cost efficient for them as the country next door... Canada

Here is a country that had lots in common with the USA ... But at the same time enough different for someone like RCCL / Celebrity to take notice

We by nature, Travel more than our US cousins... A higher percentage of us hold passports, and Winter escapes to the sunshine are a MUST DO for many of us

Historically we head to Florida (conveniently where Celebrity has 2 major Home Ports in FLL & MIA)... One can find us all over the state come Winter... But the "hot spots" for us are definitely Orlando Area (for Families*) and the Fort Lauderdale area (oh how we want the warmest of weather... South of Alligator Alley)

Those who skip Florida, tend to be quite imbended into the All Inclusive trend... Something which has been very big in Canada for decades. Especially for Countries that offer good value... Cuba - Dominican Republic - Jamaica - and Mexico

We are looking for the best bang for our buck... But we are not afraid to spend more on a Sunny Caribbean Vacation if the resort is more upscale and offers more luxury at an AI price (other AIs on other Islands also do a big business in Canada... Sandals - Beaches etc)

Now into this Canadian Market comes Celebrity. Prior to 2010, I had never heard of Celebrity... (Royal - Norwegian - Carnival - Princess all well known). Suddenly they were everywhere.

And more importantly suddenly there was a real surge in the many people in our social circle cruising... And they were all cruising with Celebrity.

Celebrity was heavily marketing themselves in Canadian Newspapers... And about the same time AI Bevvy Pkgs took off with a vengeance (FACT - Cdns tend to drink more than our US Cousins... And YES we had all heard the horror stories about end of cruise bar bills... And, lol, this did scare some of us ff cruising. Once Bevvy Pkgs were introduced, we could relax... Suddenly a cruise was a lot more like the onshore AIs we were used to)

And by 2012, it seemed as if ALL our friends were cruising, and Celebrity was their cruse line of choice.

In 2013, Celebrity made 123Go Promos less "now & then" and more ongoing. And at the same time they launched the All Inclusive Celebrity Canada Charters in a few select cities (Hamilton - Ottawa - Halifax) ... Which SOLD OUT pronto in the cities offered... Virtually over night.

This year, they upped that game considerably now offering AI Charters out of 6 cities (London ON - Hamilton ON - Ottawa ON - Quebec QC - Moncton NB - Halifax NS) with 2 Ship Itineraries to choose from, 2 Flights a week (Saturday & Sunday) and for 2 Full Months (Feb thru April)

This is a HUGE operation for Celebrity...

And guess what... They are once again virtually SOLD OUT (from a quick look online I see that spaces on any of these Sailings are non existent to few).

Ya they have been very astute in their figuring out how to play the market so far and keep themselves not only afloat in hard times... But also make a lot of money (as Stock prices show) and at the same time make a BIG name for themselves in Canada... And find not only some new Customers... But some huge fans.

Here we are 5 years later... And now it truly seems like whenever friends gather and talk Winter Vacation Plans... Someone (or several someones) always mentions Celebrity... And the comments are positive

"And they told 2 people... And so on... And so on"

More and more of our have never cruised friends & colleagues are signing up... Be it once or ongoing ( Having cruised now with Celebrity, I would be hard pressed to go back to standard AI vacation. And the fancier ones ala Sandals are very nice, but I can go on 2 Vacations / Cruises for what one of those cost... And have just as good a time / pampering)

Cheers!

* Families - Curious if RCCL or other Cruise Lines have upped their presence in recent years out of Port Canaveral in a strategy to go after the many Cdns who head to this area with their kids... Especially so in Fevruary & March which is when most of our Schools have their Winter Breaks

Edited by Sloop-JohnB