Never again on Celebrity

superdee

Well I finally heard from Celebrity about my broken and cracked tooth that I got on a Cherry pit in the Opus dining Room. They said they were sorry and sad about it but not as much as me as I am on the hook for $ 700.00 for the tooth repair and the root canal. We sailed the Reflection Dec 6-13 and I will never sail on Celebrity again as the overall experience sucked compared to HAL. The Reflection is a nice ship but the food is sub par and seems that they try to dollar you to death and force you to go to all the specialty resturants. The chair hogs and people stuffing their face sin the buffet lines are a big disappointment and the fact that nobody enforces the chair hog rules. The lawn area at the top is basically for the rich and famous as who the hell wants to pay $ 150.00 for a frigging cabana a day. I really liked the idea of the lawn but really hated the stench of cigar smoke and it seemed always roped off. The Reflection's poor quality of food, overall money grab and the missing little things the HAL provides turned me completely off and come hell or high water I will never sail with Royal or Celebrity again.

Well I finally heard from Celebrity about my broken and cracked tooth that I got on a Cherry pit in the Opus dining Room. They said they were sorry and sad about it but not as much as me as I am on the hook for $ 700.00 for the tooth repair and the root canal. We sailed the Reflection Dec 6-13 and I will never sail on Celebrity again as the overall experience sucked compared to HAL. The Reflection is a nice ship but the food is sub par and seems that they try to dollar you to death and force you to go to all the specialty resturants. The chair hogs and people stuffing their face sin the buffet lines are a big disappointment and the fact that nobody enforces the chair hog rules. The lawn area at the top is basically for the rich and famous as who the hell wants to pay $ 150.00 for a frigging cabana a day. I really liked the idea of the lawn but really hated the stench of cigar smoke and it seemed always roped off. The Reflection's poor quality of food, overall money grab and the missing little things the HAL provides turned me completely off and come hell or high water I will never sail with Royal or Celebrity again.

I'm certain that they will be so sad to lose your business. Enjoy you future vacations.

About the cracked tooth... it was a "virgin" tooth or it had a previous restoration, like an amalgam or composite? Unless it was a virgin tooth, it will be very hard to blame Celebrity for the fracture. Just my $0.02, if the tooth had a big restoration or even a defective restoration, then this was going to happen someday. If the tooth didn't have a cavity or a previous restoration, then it is possible that the fracture was caused by the cherry pit, and you might have a case against Celebrity. BTW, look at the bright side, now I understand why most of my Canadian friends didn't want to go back home after finishing dental school. $700 for a root canal and a crown is cheap, really cheap. :D:D

Hope you enjoy your future cruises with HAL, until they change their smoking policy we will stay with Celebrity. ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your tooth but accidents do happen. Have you checked with the travel insurance you used for your trip?

I was actually on the same cruise as you and did not experience any of the things you mentioned in your rant.

The food in the MDR was better than my previous cruises (but then I take it for what it is, "banquet food") and the service was excellent.

I did not notice anybody stuffing their face in the buffet line even though it was quite crowded and there was some rude people cutting in line.

I ate in the OPUS dining room every night by choice and nobody tried to force me to go to any specialty restaurants.

Nobody tried to "dollar me to death" or grab my money so I'm not even sure what you mean by that.:confused:

Did not see anybody famous around the ship or somebody that looked rich either. :rolleyes:

Never smelled any smoke walking around the ship either. I did notice a Celebrity employee that removed towels from the lounge chairs the one time I passed through the pool area.

The only negative thing for me was the wait for elevators.

It does sound like you will be happier on another cruise line so good luck with your future travels. Obviously Celebrity Cruise lines is not for you.

Me, I cannot wait for the ones I've lined up. :D

As someone else commented...$700 for a root canal and restoration is an incredible bargain. Pits happen in olives, in cherries, etc....and they happen at restaurants, pastry shops and at home. I'd probably have more sompassion if you had found a foreign object in the food...but a pit...sorry.

I suspect your tooth colored your impression of the rest of the ship....for example, I'm not sure how anyone could say the lawn is for the rich and famous. BTW...you might include azamara in that list of lines you won't sail on...they are all owned by the same holding company.

While it is unfortunate that your tooth broke, I do think that it is a bit much to seek some type of payment from Celebrity for it.

If it were a foreign object in your food (piece of metal or plastic, etc) I would say they are responsible for what happened. Cherry pits are naturally inside cherries and may be present in even pitted cherries, just the same as you may encounter unpopped kernels in a bag of popcorn at the movies.

I have handled claims like this in my line of work many times. It is always unfortunate when an injury occurs but unless it is clearly negilgence on the part of Celebrity you are likely to only get sympathy for it happening and not some type of compensation.

Sometimes we need to assume responsibility for what happens to us, even when it wasn't really due to our wrong-doing. Sometimes stuff happens, it's really not anyone's fault.

I missed the part of how Celeb was at fault in OPs eyes, . Was the cherry supposed to have been pitted for the dish it was served in ? Was it reported at the time?

I fractured a prominent virgin tooth on an Almond (first bite) from a well known nut company...it was very upsetting, costly etc and will never be the same, But it was just bad luck. Now nuts, pretzels, popcorn and other possible dangerous tooth items are off the menu. .Even boned fish or chicken can have little bits of bone in them. Chewers beware!

Would not want to go through the fractured tooth problem again...

I missed the part of how Celeb was at fault in OPs eyes, . Was the cherry supposed to have been pitted for the dish it was served in ? Was it reported at the time?

I fractured a prominent virgin tooth on an Almond (first bite) from a well known nut company...it was very upsetting, costly etc and will never be the same, But it was just bad luck. Now nuts, pretzels, popcorn and other possible dangerous tooth items are off the menu. .Even boned fish or chicken can have little bits of bone in them. Chewers beware!

Would not want to go through the fractured tooth problem again...

A tooth implant a few years ago cost me $5000. Luckily, it wasn't a cherry pit that caused my situation. I'm sure the OP's tooth was very painful. It is too bad she had such a miserable cruise. I do agree with her plan to return to HAL where she feels more comfortable and has better treatment.

Meantime, fortunately, I have had such pleasant experiences on Celebrity I plan to continue saiilng with them.

That must have been rough, but to bash the whole trip seems a bit extreme.. There always seem to be a few that even the greatest cruise in history would never make happy...A cherry pit.. Play the lottery cause the odds of that happening are rare..Or was it a cherry from a delicious cocktail, cause that may have a pit in it ?....

Wow....it sounds like you had a miserable vacation and it does happen, especially when one thing starts if all off on the wrong foot. The little annoyances tend to build to make what was to be a great vacation go down hill quickly. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time.

We've sailed on Celebrity quite a bit and love their product. We've never felt pressured to eat in the specialty restaurants although I do love those dining packages as we never have to take formal clothes.

We've also never experienced anything negative with regards to the Lawn Club but not sailed on one of their ships that have the cabanas. I once looked into a cabana down in Vegas -- the bargain capital for vacationing. It was well over $1000 a day for a cabana rental .. yikes!! Makes $150 look like a bargain and a half.

Anyhow, we've also sailed on HAL in addition to most of the other major cruiselines and think they each have their own 'personalities'. You have to find the one that is right for you (I pretty much like them all ...with Celebrity being my favorite) and then stick with what you like.

Sorry about your tooth..... hope you had dental insurance.

I love Celebrity and RCi...

WAs always a cheerleader for both lines and always thought issues like the OP's were silly and always took the side of the cruise lines when reading such threads. Well after 50 plus cruises...We had a nightmare cruise on our favorite RCi ship...Horrendous service and we had a major issue, We were met with an unsympathetic response from the cruise line and they minimalized our problem and offered only a minor cure. We felt insulted and abused and injured. We swore off cruising but had a Constellation cruise already booked and paid for in 50 days.....Well that Constellation cruises was amazing...and wonderful like most of the others before it!

So I was in the OP's position and wrote about it on the RCi Boards.....Well you'd think that I was killing kittens and puppies. Posters were so harsh with me and my complaint.

Now I understand what it feels like to be harmed by a cruise line and abused by people who were not on the cruise or did not share or understand my experience , OP I am sure you had a bad time and your complaint sounds valid!!!

i, too, am sorry about your tooth. Wrecking a tooth on vacation is not pleasant. You would pay over $2000 in Canada to have that work done.

Sorry the food was not up to par in your estimation. On our last cruise we found it to be better than in previous years.

About the cracked tooth... it was a "virgin" tooth or it had a previous restoration, like an amalgam or composite? Unless it was a virgin tooth, it will be very hard to blame Celebrity for the fracture. Just my $0.02, if the tooth had a big restoration or even a defective restoration, then this was going to happen someday. If the tooth didn't have a cavity or a previous restoration, then it is possible that the fracture was caused by the cherry pit, and you might have a case against Celebrity. BTW, look at the bright side, now I understand why most of my Canadian friends didn't want to go back home after finishing dental school. $700 for a root canal and a crown is cheap, really cheap. :D:D

Hope you enjoy your future cruises with HAL, until they change their smoking policy we will stay with Celebrity. ;)

Your statement couldn't be more true. I broke a restored tooth on mashed potatoes. It was an old amalgam filling from childhood. I paid $850 just for the root canal. The post and crown was another $800. Thankfully my dental insurance covered most of it.

Three or four years ago I cracked a tooth on a piece of fried bread on P&O, left a huge slabsided hole, after filling, which has needed several lots of remedial work which, despite our NHS, has cost me several hundred dollars in dental bills.

Never considered claiming against P&O, nor blaming them for the fried bread being so hard, maybe I should have.:rolleyes: