missed cruise

pattyk

If you miss your cruise can you meet up with them..a blizzard is coming up the east coast mon. And Tues. CRUISE leaves Thursday. .not sure if we willsketch it on time...if we miss what is the first thing we should do..

If you miss your cruise can you meet up with them..a blizzard is coming up the east coast mon. And Tues. CRUISE leaves Thursday. .not sure if we willsketch it on time...if we miss what is the first thing we should do..

I think you should contact your cruiseline or TA however you booked it for their advice. Also whoever you booked your travel ins through (hopefully you did). Best of luck.

Keep an eye on your flights. IF you can, IF there are flights leaving, and IF you can get out of work/school/etc and leave early, do it. Your airport and airline will post notices on their websites if they are allowing people to change their flights.

Watch your flight. Make SURE it hasn't been changed or cancelled. If it has been, get on it immediately.

DH dealt with the ice storm in Dallas in 2013 and American Airlines kept helpfully changing his flights to, you know, 4 days later. NOT helpful. We had to keep on calling back, calling back, calling back, getting it back to where it needed to be, or changed to what it *could* be. Just not 4 days later.

Keep on it. It's your new job now LOL.

I don't know when or where you were originally scheduled to fly out, but if it was Tuesday, change it NOW. Don't wait...or you'll be waiting with everyone else. If you can, fly south early or even to the midwest to a big hub airport (Chicago is a good one) where there are lots of flights in and out. You may have to go 'round the mulberry bush to get where you need to be, but it's better than waving to the ship on the webcam from your living room. Good luck and keep us posted.

Melissa (in Maine and waiting on 20-25 inches too)

I don't know when or where you were originally scheduled to fly out, but if it was Tuesday, change it NOW. Don't wait...or you'll be waiting with everyone else. If you can, fly south early or even to the midwest to a big hub airport (Chicago is a good one) where there are lots of flights in and out. You may have to go 'round the mulberry bush to get where you need to be, but it's better than waving to the ship on the webcam from your living room. Good luck and keep us posted.

Melissa (in Maine and waiting on 20-25 inches too)

Would not suggest trying to get to another airport e.g. Chicago. Problem is when the East coast shuts down so does the rest of the country to a certain extent. It's not the weather, it's the lack of planes; plus O'Hare is having bad weather too.

If you can't at least go south, assuming you are trying to get to a southern port, I would even start to think about driving, depending on the number of people, etc. Have cruised around severe snow storms that paralzed air traffic and were amazed at the number of people that just loaded up and drove. Not my idea of fun, but better than missing the cruise.

How badly do you want to make your cruise?

Seriously. Get in your car NOW and start driving. NOW.

100% agree with this post. They are predicting the worst storm ever for NYC. If you leave tomorrow in a car, you can easily be there for Thursday - even if you have to drive through bad weather.

100% agree with this post. They are predicting the worst storm ever for NYC. If you leave tomorrow in a car, you can easily be there for Thursday - even if you have to drive through bad weather.

There has already been a state of emergency declared for tomorrow so if they are going to drive, they need to go now since they will not be allowed on the roads even if they are plowed. Roads are supposed to be impassable from 2am tomorrow until at least 2 pm.

From looking at the OP other posts, they are flying out of Hartford for a Thursday cruise on the Explorer. If they haven't made a decision by now, they will have to wait and see if airports actually open up on Wednesday. I know Logan's last domestic flight is going out tonight at 7pm and international around 11pm and then that is it until Wednesday sometime. Not sure what is up with Hartford but I bet it is similar.

There has already been a state of emergency declared for tomorrow so if they are going to drive, they need to go now since they will not be allowed on the roads even if they are plowed. Roads are supposed to be impassable from 2am tomorrow until at least 2 pm.

From looking at the OP other posts, they are flying out of Hartford for a Thursday cruise on the Explorer. If they haven't made a decision by now, they will have to wait and see if airports actually open up on Wednesday. I know Logan's last domestic flight is going out tonight at 7pm and international around 11pm and then that is it until Wednesday sometime. Not sure what is up with Hartford but I bet it is similar.

Connecticut will be under a State of emergency beginning at 9:00 tonight.

NOW. You have already wasted half an hour since I told you to get in the car!!!!

If you used a travel agent, contact your travel agent ASAP.

If you booked directly with Royal Caribbean, contact Royal Caribbean ASAP.

Contact your airline. See if there are other airports further south and west that will be open. See if your airline will allow you to transfer your flight. Then figure out if you can even get to this alternative airport.

Hopefully you bought insurance.

Do you have a passport? If not, I don't see how you are going to be allowed to fly to a foreign country.

The first port of call for the Explorer is Labadee, Haiti. The problem is Labadee is on the north coast of Haiti and the airport is about 75 miles south of there. Haiti is a poor country with poor roads. You will not be able to rent a car since I don't believe there are any rental car offices near Labadee. A taxi is going to cost you a lot (likely over $200).

The next port of call is Bonaire. You should be able to meet the ship there with no problem. The problem is, by this point 1/2 of your cruise is over.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Cuizer2

I already told my husband if bad weather prevents us from flying into FLL for our next cruise (which leaves on a Saturday), we will call out of work Fri and start driving Thursday night. Even if we fight some bad weather getting into the Carolinas we should still be able to get to FLL by Friday night, plenty of time to catch the ship.

To rely on airlines getting their schedules back in order with a storm of this magnitude in any time less than a week is unrealistic. Travel is sure to be disrupted through the week in the northeast as things settle down once the sun comes back out.

We are cruising April vacation (for the Northeast) for the first time ever. I just started working for the school system and that's my only vacation. We had planned to fly on Friday for our Sunday cruise, however the airfare is so amazingly expensive ($800+pp....last October we flew down for $200pp) that I took the Friday off and we are driving down starting Thursday. It's a 24 hour drive that I am NOT looking forward to, however you do what you have to if you want to catch the boat! Good luck!!

P.S. I hope you are in the car now and not reading cruise critic! :p