Why I may just have to permanently switch from Royal to X

lawgirl

Ok.... I just have to vent a little.... There is a thread on the Royal forum cursing the increase of tips for servers from 15% to 18%. I get people don't like increases. No one does. But I pointed out how hard the servers work, hours and hours a day, 7 days a week, with a smile. And how they are often from poorer countries and a few cents a drink may not mean much to me, but might mean a lot to them....

I don't mind if people disagree... Reasonable minds can. But the posts on that thread! Folks saying "these people" (referring to the servers) are not our problem and that "these people" should be happy to have jobs given where they are from. I don't know why this is bothering me so..... I am fine with complaints of other passengers, or cabins, or costs or less amenities. But this is really getting to me.... I just think the crew works so hard and would love to be able to be as fortunate as we, who can vacation. it makes me sad and frustrated and I guess it could happen on any cruise line forum but, it is on the Royal thread....ok, I am done now.

Ok.... I just have to vent a little.... There is a thread on the Royal forum cursing the increase of tips for servers from 15% to 18%. I get people don't like increases. No one does. But I pointed out how hard the servers work, hours and hours a day, 7 days a week, with a smile. And how they are often from poorer countries and a few cents a drink may not mean much to me, but might mean a lot to them....

I don't mind if people disagree... Reasonable minds can. But the posts on that thread! Folks saying "these people" (referring to the servers) are not our problem and that "these people" should be happy to have jobs given where they are from. I don't know why this is bothering me so..... I am fine with complaints of other passengers, or cabins, or costs or less amenities. But this is really getting to me.... I just think the crew works so hard and would love to be able to be as fortunate as we, who can vacation. it makes me sad and frustrated and I guess it could happen on any cruise line forum but, it is on the Royal thread....ok, I am done now.

They had that same discussion here on this forum..............

Ok.... I think I will skip the X thread as I will just get more disillusioned and think that every cruiser is entitled and uncompassionate. I am happy to hear about rising cruise costs and less amenities, etc, but it just makes me sad for people to complain about a tiny increase in tips to crew. I am just going to count my blessings that I am lucky enough not to have to serve these types of folks on cruises.... I always tip extra anyhow...

Amazes me how people who will spent thousands of $$ on a vacation complain about paying an extra $3 on a $100 bar bill:confused:

Agree with this!

We just got off the Reflection and felt the pre paid gratuities were inadequate for many of the staff.

We were happy to give some extra $$ to many servers and other staff.

And switching lnes will somehow fix this?????? :confused:

I have NEVER heard any of these complaints when onboard any ship with any line, only in places like this. Maybe I've just been lucky, I also don't see it as my job to try and police what others do about tipping or dress codes or smuggling booze on unless any of those things impact on my cruise.

The answer is really simple the lines can include the tips in the price, as a number of ships do in UK and Australia, or make the tips non removable, but of course they won't.

I try to avoid those threads after the first few posts that might contain useful information. The entitlement and the attitude that seems to flow freely in any thread that discusses tipping really upsets me.

Personally, I've never been in a place that I would consider poor but I did go through seven years of graduate school where my husband and I lived with 3-4 roommates at a time and each worked at up to five jobs (no joke) to ensure that we could afford a decent place to live and good food to eat. We were extremely fortunate to have the ability to splurge on a vacation in three of the last four years of that time, and we worked very, very hard to have that. Even when we were in that place, which I imagine is a much worse place than most of the people who whine the loudest, we wouldn't have minded the extra gratuity. As hard as my husband and I were both working and as strictly as we had to budget to make the vacation work, it didn't hold a candle to the hours that the people on the ship put in to make my vacation a good one. I don't begrudge them a cent of the gratuities, and when we can afford it I like to give them extra. That's just us, though. :rolleyes:

We have to keep remembering that Cruise Critic participants are a very small percentage of the cruising population. I heard less than about 8% on any given cruise?? The vast majority that we've come into contact with on cruises are lovely and gracious and most haven't even heard of this forum. I just ignore all the rude ones.

And switching lnes will somehow fix this?????? :confused:

I have NEVER heard any of these complaints when onboard any ship with any line, only in places like this. Maybe I've just been lucky, I also don't see it as my job to try and police what others do about tipping or dress codes or smuggling booze on unless any of those things impact on my cruise.

The answer is really simple the lines can include the tips in the price, as a number of ships do in UK and Australia, or make the tips non removable, but of course they won't.

Your right when you say you never heard any of these complaints when onboard but just on here. I agree with you 100%, people on here are only the minority of any cruise ship. It's a place where one can rant and rave on their own soap box.

I've never been in a place that I would consider poor . . . . . .

I have, many of them.

My wife was pretty shocked during an excursion on Roatan Isl., I told her that was nothing !!

As for tips onboard, we often tip extra in the bars etc and glad to do it.

Edited by pspercy

The hourly wages the majority of the staff make are fractions of what is required in the US and most European countries. Tips is the major source of income for many of the crew. With the drinks packages becoming the standard I feel many increased tip opportunities are gone because there's nothing to sign. I think the minor increase is more than justified. So much of the crew go above and beyond to make the experience delightful and they do this while working non stop and away from their homes friends and loved ones. 18% is in line with many restaurants when you have a large party. My feeling is if I can give a bit of extra cash to the stars that stood out and my my 7-10 days enjoyable it's only a small token of my gratitude and money well spent. I like to generously tip on my last day as an overall thank you. Hopefully it brightens their day and let's them know they were noticed and appreciated.

Ok.... I think I will skip the X thread as I will just get more disillusioned and think that every cruiser is entitled and uncompassionate. I am happy to hear about rising cruise costs and less amenities, etc, but it just makes me sad for people to complain about a tiny increase in tips to crew. I am just going to count my blessings that I am lucky enough not to have to serve these types of folks on cruises.... I always tip extra anyhow...

I would agree with a few others on here, there will always be a minority of people less than compassionate about others less fortunate than themselves on any Internet forum. Certainly on cruise forums there are many members fairly wealthy and living lives many of the crew and their families back home could only dream about. Cruise around the Carribbean as an example and you need to be blind not to see the disparity. Im always grateful for where I was born and the opportunities that gave me in life and never forget that as I get older, and I think the vast majority of cruisers are exactly the same.

The hourly wages the majority of the staff make are fractions of what is required in the US and most European countries. Tips is the major source of income for many of the crew. With the drinks packages becoming the standard I feel many increased tip opportunities are gone because there's nothing to sign. I think the minor increase is more than justified. So much of the crew go above and beyond to make the experience delightful and they do this while working non stop and away from their homes friends and loved ones. 18% is in line with many restaurants when you have a large party. My feeling is if I can give a bit of extra cash to the stars that stood out and my my 7-10 days enjoyable it's only a small token of my gratitude and money well spent. I like to generously tip on my last day as an overall thank you. Hopefully it brightens their day and let's them know they were noticed and appreciated.

I would also imagine crew suffer in the tips department when working in the speciality restaurants given the dining packages include 18% gratuities built into the cost.

The hourly wages the majority of the staff make are fractions of what is required in the US and most European countries.

Just to play the devil's advocate, the cost of living where many of them are from is also much less than it is in the US and many European countries. Beyond that, I'd be curious to know what some of you would consider an acceptable % limit for automatic gratuities. If an increase from 15-18% is acceptable, what if it was raised to 21%? Would that be ok? What about 25%? or 30% or 50%? Is there a point at which you'd say, "whoa, that's enough" or would it all be justified in light of the fact that the servers are paid so little?

(Note: Personally, I am not complaining. We ALWAYS tip way more than whatever is required. We get the drink package, so don't get a slip to sign, but carry a stack of $1's and $5's on board with us specifically to use as extra tip money for bartenders and cocktail servers throughout the week, tip cabin staff additional cash as well over and above prepaid grats, and add a significant extra tip to specialty restaurant servers.)

You'll see the same kind of discussion on here. Some have an issue with the increase, while others don't. And just for the record, I don't have any issues with the increase. Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't mind if people disagree... Reasonable minds can. But the posts on that thread!

You can't let what people say behind the safety of their keyboards sway your travel preferences. If you did, you'd never leave your house. And as mentioned, those exact same comments have been made on this board as well.

I'm with you , law girl. It is upsetting to me also, that anyone fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a cruise would be so stingy. Even more upsetting is the rudeness of some passengers to crew members. I just don't get it.

Your observation are right own target.

Amazes me how people who will spent thousands of $$ on a vacation complain about paying an extra $3 on a $100 bar bill:confused:

Not only that but buying a $10 bottle of duty free booze to save a dollar or trying to sneak one on board. Or the person that clips 25 cent coupons all year and then throws away dollars playing the slots. :confused: But then again it is by being frugal or cheap in some areas is what gives them the money to spend or throw away on something else. ;)

In reality it is more than 3% because the prices of drinks have also increased. Maybe people would be happier if they increased the auto gratuities $5/day pp and kept the 15% on everything else. :D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I'm with you , law girl. It is upsetting to me also, that anyone fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a cruise would be so stingy. Even more upsetting is the rudeness of some passengers to crew members. I just don't get it.

Best post!!! I also don't get it!! We always tip the staff extra!!:):)