How mad would you have to be.??

COLLEYBERRY

I have not had occasion to use laundry facilities aboard a cruise ship...but I guess things can get a little testy.:D

A co worker's friend, returning from a cruise(not HAL) around the tip of South America, related this tale to her...apparently the friend decided to try the laundry facilities for the first time (it was after a three day ban on self laundry,so I am guessing a little busier than usual)

The atmosphere in the laundry room seemed a little prickly..nothing she could put her finger on...just tension in the air ..minded her own business and got out of there as quickly as possible.

She heard later that a person had taken someone's load of washing and threw it over a balcony. :eek: They were nearly put off the ship for the offense.

I don't know how mad someone would have to be to do this....still shaking my head.:)

I have not had occasion to use laundry facilities aboard a cruise ship...but I guess things can get a little testy.:D

A co worker's friend, returning from a cruise(not HAL) around the tip of South America, related this tale to her...apparently the friend decided to try the laundry facilities for the first time (it was after a three day ban on self laundry,so I am guessing a little busier than usual)

The atmosphere in the laundry room seemed a little prickly..nothing she could put her finger on...just tension in the air ..minded her own business and got out of there as quickly as possible.

She heard later that a person had taken someone's load of washing and threw it over a balcony. :eek: They were nearly put off the ship for the offense.

I don't know how mad someone would have to be to do this....still shaking my head.:)

That urban legend and a number of variations have been passed around Cunard ships for years.

Well silly me :o....however I do know one of the parties well ..not exactly the legend type :D...and the other party had actually been in the tension filled laundry room(and from what I have been told not exactly the legend perpetuating type either),,,having said that... I hope it is a legend...:)

From living in apartments and condos with shared laundry for years (coin operated) I must admit nothing would surprise me anymore. My sister had a whole load of dark clothes stolen once. I have seen people put their laundry in the dryer that someone just paid for after removing their laundry. They time it so that they return 10 minutes before the end of cycle so that they are gone before the owner returns to find their laundry still wet. I could go on and on.

Disney does it best, IMHO, as they have massive self serve laundry rooms which operate on the room key.

From living in apartments and condos with shared laundry for years (coin operated) I must admit nothing would surprise me anymore. My sister had a whole load of dark clothes stolen once. I have seen people put their laundry in the dryer that someone just paid for after removing their laundry. They time it so that they return 10 minutes before the end of cycle so that they are gone before the owner returns to find their laundry still wet. I could go on and on.

Disney does it best, IMHO, as they have massive self serve laundry rooms which operate on the room key.

I agree . It isn't something so overwhelming that you wouldn't put it past someone to do.

Nothing to do with anger at all. Some people would do it just to get their jollies.

I don't doubt that story at all.

Several years ago we sailed on the Volendam and stayed in a room across the hall from the self-serve laundry. There were arguments between passengers every day, arising from the fact that certain passengers treated the facility as their own personal laundry room. They'd load several washing machines with their clothes, and not return for hours to put their stuff into the dryers, or leave their dried clothes in the dryers for hours, effectively denying the use of those machines to other passengers.

The alleged dumping of clothes overboard was certainly extreme, but I can see how that could happen. Chair hogs, laundry hogs - they are all variations of the self-serving, self-centered passengers that we find on every cruise.

I don't doubt the story at all. My only comment, besides "good grief", is I think she should have been put off the ship, not "nearly". :eek:

And no, I can't imagine ever getting mad enough to do something like that, but I do believe there are some.....:cool:

We spend much of our time motorhoming so I often use RV park laundries. I can believe anything after my experiences. There are always some users that I refer to as laundry room ****s. They act as if they own the laundry and are inconsiderate of other users.

We have found our cruising life much easier since we gave-up doing our own laundry in favor of just sending stuff out to the ship's laundry. Yes, we know that some folks do not like to use commercial laundries but we have had very good service and generally good results on both HAL and Princess. In the interests of full disclosure, we do get unlimited free laundry on both lines. But using the "full bag" price on HAL is a pretty decent deal. And DW has never been overly happy about spending part of her day watching laundry in the Laundromat, folding, ironing, etc.

Hank

Next time someone complains that Vista and Signature ships do not have self-service laundries, we can quote this story. :D Give them a good reason why HAL eliminated them on the new ships. :D :D

Next time someone complains that Vista and Signature ships do not have self-service laundries, we can quote this story. :D Give them a good reason why HAL eliminated them on the new ships. :D :D

I guess we can also quote the stories of people "falling off ships" as reasons not to cruise then. :rolleyes: The lack of passenger laundries will remain a prime reason we prefer not to sail on Vista and Signature ships. For us, passenger laundries are like lifeboats - should the need arise, we expect them to be available.

I'm curious.....which ships have the self serve laundry's? I'm with Mrs. Hlitner...I don't want to waste time. I'll do the fill a bag.

Ships with laundrettes:

• Amsterdam
  • Maasdam
  • Prinsendam
  • Rotterdam
  • Ryndam
  • Statendam
  • Veendam
  • Volendam
  • Zaandam

Edited by Boytjie

We have found our cruising life much easier since we gave-up doing our own laundry in favor of just sending stuff out to the ship's laundry. Yes, we know that some folks do not like to use commercial laundries but we have had very good service and generally good results on both HAL and Princess. In the interests of full disclosure, we do get unlimited free laundry on both lines. But using the "full bag" price on HAL is a pretty decent deal. And DW has never been overly happy about spending part of her day watching laundry in the Laundromat, folding, ironing, etc.

Hank

We PAY for the "Unlimited" package. It is more than worth it to us. We still have a way to go to reach 4*. We send out laundry every day until near the end we ask our (usually superb) room steward what is the last time we can send it out?

Had very few issues and when we had an incident they more than made up for it. And yes, we send EVERYTHING out and go home with almost all clean clothes.

How mad would I have to be? It's unimaginable. I would never do something like that -- I have respect for the belongings of others.

Honestly, if I can't do laundry one day, so what? I'm on a gorgeous ship on a wonderful vacation and if I have to send out some laundry or wash out a shirt by hand in my sink, so be it.

I think some folks are wound a little too tightly.....

Hank

I agree 200%. I'm on vacation.

On Oceania, it doesn't look like there is a good laundry package so there I ill be doing laundry - uggh.

I avoid it as much as possible. We've had good service and if I don't have to cook, clean - why do laundry.?

>SNIP<

I think some folks are wound a little too tightly.....

Ya think? :D

I think it was on the Ryndam that there were a couple of self-appointed laundry room "supervisors". One suggested that since we had just boarded, I should have no need to do laundry :rolleyes:

The other one was actually blocking the door to the laundry room with her chair and her legs. That one was like a guard dog "No machines, all busy, get out, grrrrrr"