Someone was complaining about their ship not going to Tunisia...

laughing husky

Perhaps the company knows a bit about the security for their passengers. I would never mind if a ship changed its itinerary for the safety of its passengers...Although I, too, always wanted to go there, guess this is not a good time.

Tunisia on edge after first major attack since Arab Spring

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the brazen attack on Tunisia’s national museum that killed at least 22 people, including about 17 tourists, but Tunisia — the birthplace of the Arab Spring revolutionary movement — has been struggling to quell a recent rise in attacks from Islamist extremists. Rita Katz of the SITE Intelligence Group said that Islamic State Twitter accounts are applauding the attack on the Bardo museum and putting out “calls for Tunisians to ‘follow their brothers.’”

Our nation is in danger. We will be merciless in the defense of our country.

Prime Minister Habib Essid

Two gunmen were killed, and a manhunt was on for at two or three others, after Kalashnikov-wielding militants opened fire on a tourist group as they were disembarking from a bus Wednesday. Polish, Italian, German and Spanish tourists were among the dead, and about 50 others were wounded. The attack on such a high-profile target is a blow for the small North African country, which relies heavily on European tourism and has largely avoided major militant violence since its 2011 uprising to oust autocrat former President Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali. But several Islamist militant groups have emerged in Tunisia since the uprising. An army offensive against the extremists has been under way since 2012, but the campaign has failed to eliminate them.

Mar 18th, 2015

Perhaps the company knows a bit about the security for their passengers. I would never mind if a ship changed its itinerary for the safety of its passengers...Although I, too, always wanted to go there, guess this is not a good time.

Tunisia on edge after first major attack since Arab Spring

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the brazen attack on Tunisia’s national museum that killed at least 22 people, including about 17 tourists, but Tunisia — the birthplace of the Arab Spring revolutionary movement — has been struggling to quell a recent rise in attacks from Islamist extremists. Rita Katz of the SITE Intelligence Group said that Islamic State Twitter accounts are applauding the attack on the Bardo museum and putting out “calls for Tunisians to ‘follow their brothers.’”

Our nation is in danger. We will be merciless in the defense of our country.

Prime Minister Habib Essid

Two gunmen were killed, and a manhunt was on for at two or three others, after Kalashnikov-wielding militants opened fire on a tourist group as they were disembarking from a bus Wednesday. Polish, Italian, German and Spanish tourists were among the dead, and about 50 others were wounded. The attack on such a high-profile target is a blow for the small North African country, which relies heavily on European tourism and has largely avoided major militant violence since its 2011 uprising to oust autocrat former President Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali. But several Islamist militant groups have emerged in Tunisia since the uprising. An army offensive against the extremists has been under way since 2012, but the campaign has failed to eliminate them.

Mar 18th, 2015

There were preliminary reports that two cruise ships were in Tunis - Costa and MSC. Don't know the validity of those early reports.

I've been following this tragedy all day but haven't learned whether the victims were on a MSC or Costa tour. My thoughts & prayers are for the victims & their families suffering with this senseless tragedy. :(

The Daily Mail has pictures of the Costa tour bus with bullet holes in the windshield

Just caught this on the news :(

My cabin mate and I were considering Princess for our next Med cruise in 2016 but eliminated it because we didn't want to go to Tunis.

I wonder if Princess will change their itinerary in light of this attack. Just horrible news and prayers for their families.....

We have visited Tunisia twice, the last time on the Ocean Princess which turned out to be right before the Arab Spring. We enjoyed visiting the ruins at Carthage, the American Cemetary and a cute little town I forgot the name of with nice shops and restaurants.

But we have both been saying for the last several months as violent extremists commit unspeakable acts, that we felt that sometime very soon we expected that tourists would be targeted.

so very sad..

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We have visited Tunisia twice, the last time on the Ocean Princess which turned out to be right before the Arab Spring. We enjoyed visiting the ruins at Carthage, the American Cemetary and a cute little town I forgot the name of with nice shops and restaurants.

But we have both been saying for the last several months as violent extremists commit unspeakable acts, that we felt that sometime very soon we expected that tourists would be targeted.

so very sad..

Me too!! It was a once-in-a-lifetime port stop for us! It was so other-worldly pulling into that Play-dough green bay with the minarets, the call to prayer and the camels waiting for us. What a great experience! I'm so sorry others will miss it. :(

I've been following this tragedy all day but haven't learned whether the victims were on a MSC or Costa tour. My thoughts & prayers are for the victims & their families suffering with this senseless tragedy. :(

I was reading about it on Facebook and someone posted who said they were on one of the ships. The person said there were injuries and, at least, one death. Then, I saw another report that said there were several cruise passengers missing. Not sure what is true, but I'm sure it will take time to sort this out. So very scary. My thoughts and prayers are with these people as they struggle through this.

How sad. Brings tears to the eyes. We were there a few years ago and I can't say I felt "comfortable" there. I didn't like the grabbing and aggressive actions of the locals and not a place I would ever choose to return. The hour lecture on the Muslim culture and how it worked didn't help. The more the guide spoke the less I wanted to hear.

so very sad..

Perhaps it was Sidi Bou Said? We called into Tunisia on a cruise a few years ago (before the Arab Spring uprising) and enjoyed it very much. The people we met were lovely and very proud of their country.

From Paris, to Sydney, to The Netherlands and now Tunisia, nowhere is safe from these terrorists

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very sad that it looks like all who are dead were tourists. I am sure Princess will not be going there any time soon. I was once on a Caribbean cruise that was suppose to go to St. Kitts. But the day before arrival a tourist bus from another cruise line was hijacked and ALL of the passengers were robbed. So Princess refused to take us there and we went to Antiqua instead. I was very glad Princess did this. The cruise line tour bus that was robbed only cancelled that particular tour. I'm pretty sure it was Royal Caribbean if my memory serves me right. Anyways after the robber was caught a few days later Princess started going back to St. Kitts on the next cruise.

Just read this on BBC News Online:

"Two cruise companies - MSC Cruises and Costa Cruises - said they were suspending stopovers in Tunis."

I imagine that it's only a matter of time before most all of the others do the same.

:cool:

Edited by dmwnc1959