Beverage Package Pricing Increase

Ok, you perked my interest, what made it difficult? Was Princess a higher cost with no unlimited booze pkg, or cheaper, but you paid your own way?

Or were they about the same and open bar won out?

We sailed on the Ruby in 2012 and the on ship product was nothing close to the experience for the cost provided by Celebrity. Booze will never be the determining factor in why we book a vacation.

There was no simple answer to that. I prefer the Princess itinerary. I wanted to experience Glacier Bay. Only offered on a few lines (inc Princess). The timing was just a bit better than Celebrity. But I like the Celebrity product. The cost? We had booked a suite with Princess but Aqua with Celebrity so a bit chalk and cheese. But the Spring Promo offered on Celebrity tipped me back to them - and a good price on Aqua. I figured we could take a flight over Glacier Bay with Celebrity. Booze isn't a determining factor but value is, and the 123 offers more than alcohol. I like good quality coffee.

I've only done a local Australian Princess cruise. It was ok. Food was nicer. Balcony rather ordinary.

... go to the source. Apologies if someone has already come back with this answer earlier in the thread, but I thought I'd share my experience. Note our sail date with the perks package is January 2016.

Yesterday, I emailed concerns@celebrity.com about this issue.

Here's my email:

We booked a January 2016 Celebrity cruise on the Spring Into Savings promo that included a Classic Beverage package.

It is my understanding that we will pay $10 + 18% gratuity per person per day to upgrade onboard. Can you please confirm?

Here's their response (received within 12 hours, concise and to the point):

Concerns@celebrity.com

8:19 AM (29 minutes ago)

to me

Hi there,

We can confirm this. Thanks

While I recognize that this does not immediately alleviate issues with onboard staff, it does answer the question of whether or not people with the perk package pay $10 + grats, or $16 + grats.

Colour me happy with Celebrity's quick and clear response. :)

Care to comment Wallie5446 and jagofee?

Post it on Facebook.

OK, I will.

I am confident (but obviously can never be 100% sure) that he will only have to pay the $11.80. So he will receive a credit if he in fact was actually charged the incorrect amount. But we shall see. I can understand why the implementation might be confusing. Perhaps the "piece of paper" was referencing if one purchased the package. It is understandable to me that on board personnel could be confused.

If I was in charge I would have just made it the same $10 whether one prepurchased, received the Classic package as a promotion prior to the increase, or purchased or received as a promotion after the price increase. When you have such a complicated implementation it is certainly likely to be confusing on board.

We now have two examples on people on board who were told they were being charged the higher price. One was resolved and this last one.

We also have numerous posts from people who stated that are still paying the $10 to upgrade.

I too looked at the math and thought either way, the increase was only going to be $10 plus gratuities, but to be on the safe side I contacted my TA yesterday and asked what the upgrade cost to my “free” Classic Bevey package would be. She had Celebrity on the other line and was told that it would be $10 plus gratuity. $11.80 USD if I upgraded before April 20th. After that date it would be $16.00 USD. Since I am paying in CDN dollars, I did not want to roll the dice of waiting to find out which way this is going to turn out. I upgraded to Premium (DH likes his Scotch) :D and if the CDN dollar goes up and the difference is still only $10.00 after Monday, then I can cancel and rebook at a lower cost in the future as my cruise is not till 2016. :)

Cheers!

Just to clarify or perhaps to add to the confusion, my TA called celebrity yesterday and upgraded our 123 bev pkg to premium for 8 of us traveling together and she said my cc was charged $11.75 x 8 per day of our July cruise. Glad I did this now instead of waiting till we board which where the confusion seems to be.

-----------------

Helen

Was that Travel Agent credit (which I know you get back) or Celebrity credit, in which case I don't think you do and what I meant by "from Celebrity".

I had a follow up from Celebrity for my shore excursion query (light plane over Alaska) and the flaky website that only allows me to buy it if I am OVER the maximum weight allowance.

I was told to tick the selection that allowed me to purchase the flights. So now only people who do not meet the weight requirements (over 250 lbs) can book the excursions or people under that weight stating they are over it. I wonder how that is going to play out on excursion day........

$300 was from Celebrity- $150 from TA

, 12:41 PM

Celebrity Cruises's Avatar Celebrity Cruises Celebrity Cruises is online now

"Official" Join Date: Aug 2011

LATEST RESPONSE FROM CELEBRITY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post

How simple would this have been if Celebrity just raised prices on the two drink packages one day and clearly announced that if you already have a classic drink package, it continues to cost $10 plus gratuities to upgrade to the premium package.

So simple...so understandable....so implementable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagoffee View Post

If I was in charge I would have just made it the same $10 whether one prepurchased, received the Classic package as a promotion prior to the increase, or purchased or received as a promotion after the price increase. When you have such a complicated implementation it is certainly likely to be confusing on board.

Hi there,

We continue to listen to guest feedback, and as a result, all upgrades (from Classic to Premium) will be $10.

Edited by gsb

Thank you Celebrity Cruises official!

I think it is great to see you here on the boards, responding to all our moans and groans, I for one appreciate your presence.

I think $10 to upgrade is fair and will be happily doing so on my forthcoming cruise :)

Care to comment Wallie5446 and jagofee?

Post it on Facebook.

Hi all,

We continue to listen to guest feedback, and as a result, all upgrades (from Classic to Premium) will be $10. Guests should no longer have an issue with upgrading at any point, either by booking in advance, or onboard.

Bout sums it up dont ya think?

( jagofee, BTW, I am originally from Lincoln, IL )

Edited by wallie5446

Just on board Infinity in San Diego. I explained that because I received the Classic beverage package as part of 123 promotion, I only needed to pay $10 plus gratuity to upgrade to the premium package. The man at the Upgrade Table just smiled and pointed to a piece of paper. Said his instructions were dated today and that we had to pay $16, plus gratuity to upgrade, period.

I guess some ships haven't gotten the memo, or are getting wrong memo.

Will figure this out later, I guess. No time on embarkation day to have this hassle.

Yup, now words need to get back to the F&B managers on all the ships. :)

Now if Islander500 will take a bit of time from their vacation to log in and fill us in!:D That it took place for them.:)

Hi all,

We continue to listen to guest feedback, and as a result, all upgrades (from Classic to Premium) will be $10. Guests should no longer have an issue with upgrading at any point, either by booking in advance, or onboard.

That is fine but how long will this last for. We have 6 cruises booked up to March 2017 5 of which are with beverage, grats and obc (the other U.S. Jon an RS just with OBC but with prem Bev package included). It is fine saying it is $10 now but what about in 22 months when from now when this change has been in place for 22 months.

We will see how well it works. Judging by the introduction of the new suite benefits and the issues with ships not knowing what the changes are, I expect issues with this. At least we will have a butler or MC concierge to softy it out.

That is fine but how long will this last for. We have 6 cruises booked up to March 2017 5 of which are with beverage, grats and obc (the other U.S. Jon an RS just with OBC but with prem Bev package included). It is fine saying it is $10 now but what about in 22 months when from now when this change has been in place for 22 months.

We will see how well it works. Judging by the introduction of the new suite benefits and the issues with ships not knowing what the changes are, I expect issues with this. At least we will have a butler or MC concierge to softy it out.

The only guaranty is change. I dont know if we would still be cruising if things were the same as they were in 1987 when we did our 1st.

I sorta, kinda, maybe, think in the next 22 months there will be a number of changes for your thoughts to be expressed on.;)

Hi all,

I just knew there would be more what ifs, how abouts, can I, but I want to, etc.

Celebrity,can you please use your sledgehammer to pound into stone an absolute, iron clad response covering any possible eventual scenario so we can finally put this to bed!:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by richsea

$59 + 18% = $69.62!

"Prices starting from *69.62"

"* All prices are subject to change without notice. An 18% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout"

69.62 + 12.53 = $ 82.15

I think you will find that this is a glitch with the Celebrity site,

It charges The 18% gratuities twice but when you actually pay

You will only be charged $69.62

This happened to me when the packages were first introduced

Seems the IT department screwed up 😱😱

I am sure it will last as long as the differences in the packages remains at $10 if that changes, then the upgrade will change. Just my understanding

If there are no more price increases on the packages the difference between the Classic & Premium packages with the new pricing is $10. Classic now $55+18%, Premium now $65+18%.

Hi all,

Yup, now words need to get back to the F&B managers on all the ships. :)

Absolutely agree. What is being done to insure that the people onboard know this?

No offense but it's one thing to post it on here, another for it to be implemented properly on the ship. From reports we've already seen how something that appears relatively simple has been fouled up once onboard.

Absolutely agree. What is being done to insure that the people onboard know this?

No offense but it's one thing to post it on here, another for it to be implemented properly on the ship. From reports we've already seen how something that appears relatively simple has been fouled up once onboard.

Agree. Reading things from a forum carries no weight if the ship's computer says something different.

Agree. Reading things from a forum carries no weight if the ship's computer says something different.

I was gonna, but my 10% alc IPA Dogfish got me straightened out!

"Please share it with loved ones, and hoard it from the non-believers"

I wish clear sky's and calm seas for all on a cruise, the rest is of no matter.

Me

( sorry my pic posting is so poor, but it really says that on the label! Oh, this one is on the menu in the GastroBar on the Equinox, IF you upgrade to the Premium pkg it is covered! )

image.jpg.b98687c64582c245e49adfe60cd44283.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

To be sure, to be absolutely sure, and not have to worry about any possible arguments onboard, I upgraded today for August cruise.

For Aussie cruisers, the cost is (until 20th at least), AUD$12.90 per person per day + 18%....

The OBC that I purchased for upgrading onboard, well , probably cash that out and spend on land portion of trip.

Hi all,

Hadn't logged in since embarkation but just got the Featured Today flyer dated April 15, 2015. Says the 123 upgrade from classic to premium is $10 per day, with 18% gratuity. No limitations on how and when you got the classic package is identified. So maybe progress here?? :D

Will report tomorrow when I try again.

Thanks!

Edited by Islander500

I was gonna, but my 10% alc IPA Dogfish got me straightened out!

"Please share it with loved ones, and hoard it from the non-believers"

I wish clear sky's and calm seas for all on a cruise, the rest is of no matter.

Me

( sorry my pic posting is so poor, but it really says that on the label! Oh, this one is on the menu in the GastroBar on the Equinox, IF you upgrade to the Premium pkg it is covered! )

Wallie !!

The only thing for sure is - if the price of the beverage package increases , punters will try harder to make sure they get their full $ value plus more . Love the DogFish .