Shoes in MDR

Hi all,

Ā 

I know I'm overthinking this, but I'm trying to get the shoe balance right for my very first cruise. That is, the balance between packing light, and not having enough variety!

Ā 

This is a hot weather cruise, 12 nights with Princess, and we've decided we won't go to MDR on formal nights.

Ā 

I'm taking my red espadrille-style wedges, thinking they're perfect for a ship because they're rubber soled and not too delicate so safe on decks, they have a nice nautical vibe to them, and they'll go with all my dinner clothes.

Ā 

I do worry though, that I'll get awfully bored and maybe a bit self-conscious about wearing the same shoes night in night out, especially as they're quite distinctive.

Ā 

So my questions to you more experienced cruising fashionistas are:

- should I even care about this?

- can I get by in the MDR with flat leather sandals like Saltwaters as an alternative, or is that too beachy/casual?

- if I were to bring a second pair of heels, would sparkly/strappy little numbers look out of place (that's all I have) and be dangerous on a moving ship?

Ā 

Thank you for your advice :)

I'd bring a second pair JIC feet swell etc.

Ā 

Last cruise I brought ballet flats, sneakers, two pair of sandals.

Ā 

No one is going to care and probably won't notice you're wearing the same shoes.

Ā 

Your thoughts about safety are a very valid concern.

Edited by SadieN

You are WAAAY over thinking this! No one cares what shoes you're wearing. Thong sandals are totally allowed in the DR...rubber "flip flops" are not, at dinner. There is a difference between flip flops and thong sandals!!

Ā 

That said, I always wear heels (strappy) in the summer...they aren't "dangerous", unless the ship is rocking and rolling! You'll know if it's too rough to wear them!

Whichever shoes you bring, make sure they are comfortable. Depending on the size of the ship you could be doing a lot of walking, so unless you are going to change shoes immediately after dinner its good to have shoes that not only look nice but that are comfy too.

Definitely bring some that can accommodate any swelling that might happen. My feet/ankles swelled terribly and that's never happened before! Fortunately I had on sandals that can be adjusted. I'd try bringing some flat sandals (that's what I wore) just in case. Our trip was VERY rocky (we could only use the pool one day and they closed the upper decks) so having a flat option is a good idea I believe. And it's true no one will notice/ care if you're wearing the same shoes. (I only had one evening pair)

Definitely bring some that can accommodate any swelling that might happen. My feet/ankles swelled terribly and that's never happened before! Fortunately I had on sandals that can be adjusted. I'd try bringing some flat sandals (that's what I wore) just in case. Our trip was VERY rocky (we could only use the pool one day and they closed the upper decks) so having a flat option is a good idea I believe. And it's true no one will notice/ care if you're wearing the same shoes. (I only had one evening pair)

Ā 

Gosh! where was your rocky trip? I know the Hawaii run is very rocky.

Nobody will notice or care about your shoes unless they really stick out for some reason. (ie wearing Chuck's with a hole in the toe or seven" platforms) So no one will notice if you wear the same shoes.

Ā 

I would caution heels on a ship. We have never had a cruise without at least one night with some rocky going, the last night of my last cruise was so bad that I get vertigo thinking about the keeling.

Gosh! where was your rocky trip? I know the Hawaii run is very rocky.

Ā 

Ā 

It was my first, to the western carribean. My fiancƩ was flipping out saying he'd never seen it that bad before (there were some storms nearby apparently) and he was scared it would scare me off from cruising! I loved it, minus the shower when you'd bounce from one side to the next with the ship lol. This time we have a tub (and his grandmother coming with us) so I hope it's not too bumpy for her sake, plus I might topple out of the tub if it is lol!

I might notice red espadrilles every night, but only because I do like shoes and tend to look at other people's. However, I'd probably merely be admiring them and certainly wouldn't look upon wearing them often negatively.

Ā 

That said, I agree with others than you probably want at least one other pair for various reasons. Flats for rocky seas or days your feet may hurt a bit from lots of activity and you don't necessarily want to walk around the ship all night in heels. Plus I've found if I don't change up my footwear a bit, after a few days in a row of the same shoes, my feet start to rebel a little. I'm a big fan of leather ballet or d'orsay flats for evenings as they are very comfy (if you buy a nice pair), can be dressed up or down, and take up very little room.

Ā 

Had to look up Saltwaters - those are cute and would definitely be fine for non-formal nights on the MDR. Plus they would be good for port days, and shoes that do double duty are always a plus when trying to pack.

Ā 

I wouldn't bother with the sparkly/strappy shoes especially since you said you're not going to do formal nights. As far as heels and safety goes, I think a lot of that depends on your comfort level in heels in general. If you teeter in them on land, it will only be worse on a ship. If you could run in them (I envy you, women who can), the only time it would really be an issue is when you hit very rough seas, which has been a rarity in my cruising experience. And yes, as someone else mentioned, Hawaii was the roughest I've experienced.

I too think a pair of flats is a good idea.

Ā 

However, my all-time cruise favorite is the one-sole sandal. I have a pair of the ''Classic'' (http://www.onesolestore.com/soles/classic-sole.html - check the picture with the black top on to get a better idea). They are very comfortable and safe on deck and I have 4-5 different tops to change the look.

Ā 

It's by no mean formal but it is a nice casual sandal and you can even get by on elegant / informal nights with a strappy top (http://www.onesolestore.com/tops/strappies.html)

Ā 

They are not cheap but are comfortable and pack like a charm (I did a 5-night cruise with only those + a pair of beach flip flops + my gym shoes that I wore on the plane since I was flying from Canada in winter).

Edited by jp2001

• 2 months later...
This may seem a stupid question, but I will ask anyway. Are open toed shoes allowed in the MDR? I'm guessing yes, since I see strappy sandals mentioned, but I wanted to be sure.

Ā 

Yes......definitely. I would say 99.9% of the time I wear sandals

in the evenings:)......

Unless you're a man...and then it's the end of the world to see male toes in a dining situation.

Ā 

Ā 

Typical discrimination.

Ā 

But I was referring to the same pair every day.

I know...I was responding to the question about open-toed shoes...sorry I grabbed your post!

Ā 

Personal frustration expressed because I don't have issues with male toes...so long as, like anything else...normal personal hygiene is observed. :)

I know...I was responding to the question about open-toed shoes...sorry I grabbed your post!

Ā 

Personal frustration expressed because I don't have issues with male toes...so long as, like anything else...normal personal hygiene is observed. :)

Ā 

Ā 

No worries, but I agree about double standards.

Ā 

I am a professional and have to wear a suit and tie and shoes every day [this in Australia where 100F days are not unusual in Summer], while women doing the same job can get away with a short skirt a blouse and saddles. If I turned up in shorts sanddles and short sleeve shirt I'd be sent home.

Some cruise lines forbid open toe shoes for men in the dining rooms at dinner. My husband has a pair of fishermen's sandals. Cool and comfortable yet meets the dress code without worry.

Ā 

Personally I think men look rather silly in open toed sandals with long pants.

Ā 

I do worry though, that I'll get awfully bored and maybe a bit self-conscious about wearing the same shoes night in night out, especially as they're quite distinctive.

Ā 

Ā 

No. You won't even be eating dinner in the same place every night, but even if you were, it's doubtful anyone is going to notice that you're wearing the same shoes every night. If they do, they'll probably be impressed that you managed to plan your wardrobe to all coordinate with one pair.

Ā 

For some reason, women always seem to think that other women will be studying what they wear and taking notes if they wear something twice, let alone more often when in reality, all those other women? They're not studying your outfits because they're too preoccupied with thinking that YOU are studying THEM, LOL

Bring at least two pairs of shoes, the wedges & a pair of flats (either sandals or ballet flats). Being your first cruise you don't know if your feet will swell (& it's always good to be prepared). I became best MIL ever when I pulled out ballet slippers for the wedding party, bride was very grateful as her specially made glass slippers (yes it was a Cinderella theme wedding) turned out to be very uncomfortable...

Hi all,

Ā 

- can I get by in the MDR with flat leather sandals like Saltwaters as an alternative, or is that too beachy/casual?

- if I were to bring a second pair of heels, would sparkly/strappy little numbers look out of place (that's all I have) and be dangerous on a moving ship?

Ā 

Ā 

Saltwaters would be ideal as a second and flat pair of sandals. I think it is a good idea to take an alternative pair of shoes just in case a strap breaks or something. I had that happen to me on a trip to Melbourne once, luckily I had a spare pair and also knew where a shoe repair place was.

Ā 

If you're not going to the formal nights don't bother with the heels IMHO.

Ā 

Have a great cruise. :)

Bring at least two pairs of shoes, the wedges & a pair of flats (either sandals or ballet flats). Being your first cruise you don't know if your feet will swell (& it's always good to be prepared). I became best MIL ever when I pulled out ballet slippers for the wedding party, bride was very grateful as her specially made glass slippers (yes it was a Cinderella theme wedding) turned out to be very uncomfortable...

Ā 

Certainly better than my MIL, who wore white to my wedding. :eek: