30 for 30 deal from June 1st??

I can only tell what happened when we booked our cruise last night....and I just looked at the emailed confirmation they sent us. I wish I had connections in the C&A department, because I would surely have liked to make a smaller deposit....but I wasn't going to wait until we sail on Navigator in November to have the ability of a smaller deposit and get an OBC -- because by then, the price we got would be 'history' I fully expect.

Yes, they gave you the "full" balcony discount under Passenger #1. However, when you deduct that balcony discount from the cruise fare for Passenger #1 and then take 30% of that total (cruise fare minus balcony discount) you will find that the discount for Passenger #1 is less than than it is for Passenger #2. The reason for that is that they took the 30% off the full fare for Passenger #2.

Do you really think that they will give you 30% off? They'll inflate the price and then take 30% off of that. Find and price a cruise you might be interested in now. If the sale comes to be, go back and reprice it. I think you'll see little, to no difference. The cruise lines have been doing this for years.

On our already booked Harmony Cruise for 2017, we saved $500.00 on this cruise. (as did many other people with cruises booked)

We also booked a second week on the Harmony for $1600. (balcony) for two.

Seemed like a savings to us.

It would be nice if the discount applied to pax 3 and 4. There are some good deals to be had for 2 passenger reservations, but on Harmony those 3rd and 4th passengers make it too expensive.

Only 12 more years till all the kids are out of the house. Sigh.

It would be nice if the discount applied to pax 3 and 4. There are some good deals to be had for 2 passenger reservations, but on Harmony those 3rd and 4th passengers make it too expensive.

Would two staterooms be possible?

Companies deduct 'non cash discounts' from purchases all the time prior to giving a percentage off on a product -- this pricing strategy is not new. But it doesn't negate that you are getting the full value of the 'non cash discount'.

Cable company promotions, wireless company promotions and retailers have used these pricing models for many years.

With cruises only one C&A balcony discount is given in a double occupancy cabin and as long as it is deducted in full from one of the cruisers (cruiser #1) all is fine. The calculation that follows will change for each cruiser....but the full discount was applied.

I can tell you this, the prices we paid for this Harmony cruise are several hundred dollars less than we paid for our Allure cruise in July 2013 when we were in a balcony overlooking Central Park and this time we are in the last balcony overlooking the Aqua Theater.

Some people may simply not like it calculated like this....but this is common.

Look at it this way.

You book a cabin using your balcony discount. Have friends of yours book the exact same cabin. Compare prices. Your price is not cheaper by the full amount of your balcony discount. We all understand the math but it is the end result that many are not happy with. Yet another way for Royal to reduce benefits to members of its loyalty program.

Look at it this way.

You book a cabin using your balcony discount. Have friends of yours book the exact same cabin. Compare prices. Your price is not cheaper by the full amount of your balcony discount. We all understand the math but it is the end result that many are not happy with. Yet another way for Royal to reduce benefits to members of its loyalty program.

Exactly!!

Look at it this way.

The person who is NOT a member of the loyalty program isn't getting the same price/deal as the person who is a member of the loyalty program with a discount taken on their cabin.

Why don't you look at it that way, rather than what benefit you perceive you are being denied. You are getting your balcony discount fully deducted.

But then again, I learned from my mother (of blessed memory) life can be looked at as 'half full or half empty' -- I choose half full....in the end it is a mindset.

Edited by Paulette3028

Would two staterooms be possible?

I guess that's something to consider. We usually book a JS with the kids. They are still young enough that a JS is the right size. On the other hand, it means we could bring 4 bottles of wine.

The person who is NOT a member of the loyalty program isn't getting the same price/deal as the person who is a member of the loyalty program with a discount taken on their cabin.

Why don't you look at it that way, rather than what benefit you perceive you are being denied. You are getting your balcony discount fully deducted.

Because the benefit is a specified dollar amount.

The math doesn't lie. You can spin it, but the math doesn't lie.

Because the benefit is a specified dollar amount.

The math doesn't lie. You can spin it, but the math doesn't lie.

Give up, logic escapes some people. ;)

I do find it interesting that bogoho calculated the discount after the half off was taken, not before

Edited by John&LaLa

But then again, I learned from my mother (of blessed memory) life can be looked at as 'half full or half empty' -- I choose half full....in the end it is a mindset.

Which cruise fare would you be happy with....A or B?

Example A

$1000 Cruise Fare

$ 250 Less Balcony discount

$ 750 Cruise Fare

$ 225 Less 30% discount

$ 525 Adjusted Cruise Fare

Example B

$1000 Cruise Fare

$ 300 Less 30% Discount

$ 700 Cruise Fare

$ 250 Less Balcony Discount

$ 450 Adjusted Cruise Fare

Edited by cruisenfever

Well that logic doesn't work for us...just because their out of the house...we now have added spouses and grandchildren. But we love to take them all with us :D

I guess that's something to consider. We usually book a JS with the kids. They are still young enough that a JS is the right size. On the other hand, it means we could bring 4 bottles of wine.

What about connecting rooms? 1 adult on each reservation; in reality, stick the kids in the connecting room (given you said 12 years away-- they seem kinda young to be stashed somewhere TOTALLY on their own). The deals for Harmony are really good right now!

Don't rush your years away. lol

It appears that the greatest deals are on Harmony. I couldn't pass it up so we booked Harmony for January, 2017. Now,I don't know what the price was before the sale but I do know we got a screaming deal. We booked a B2 balcony for $1,410!!!:) We haven't cruised that cheap in a long, long time.

Edited by rusty nut

Well that logic doesn't work for us...just because their out of the house...we now have added spouses and grandchildren. But we love to take them all with us :D

But I wouldn't put them up in my cabin at that point. They can have their own cabin with their kids to deal with.:D

Give up, logic escapes some people. ;)

I do find it interesting that bogoho calculated the discount after the half off was taken, not before

It's because the balcony discount gets applied to the pax 1 fare. With BOGOHO, the pax 1 fare was full price.

It appears that the greatest deals are on Harmony. I couldn't pass it up so we booked Harmony for January, 2017. Now,I don't know what the price was before the sale but I do know we got a screaming deal. We booked a B2 balcony for $1,410!!!:) We haven't cruised that cheap in a long, long time.

I've been pricing different ships since the 30/30 sale began, and I agree that the better 30/30 deals seem to be for the Harmony. I have two Oasis sailings that were booked early on that were bargains compared to today's 30/30 prices, but I will keep checking just in case. I'm not likely to find a price drop, as the JS's are now more than I paid for an OS.

Congrats to all those who got great deals on the Harmony!

Edited by TheInnocentAge

It's because the balcony discount gets applied to the pax 1 fare. With BOGOHO, the pax 1 fare was full price.

Reading this brought a smile to my face because I had been thinking that this was actually a better deal than BOGOHO. However, the good news is that I checked the invoice for an Anthem cruise I just booked, and my total 30 for 30 savings on an $1836 cabin was $1036 and that was in addition to my $225 C&A discount. With BOGOHO it would have been $918. So it's still over $100 cheaper than it would have been with the other discount.

I've been pricing different ships since the 30/30 sale began, and I agree that the better 30/30 deals seem to be for the Harmony.!

Anthem also has some great deals, since they have not been discounted. Sadly, only those cruises after April 2016 are discountable, and I have one next January. But at least I had gotten a lower price on a better balcony that I originally had thanks to their free upgrade sale that started at the end of April.

So I see that there was some discussion earlier about inflated prices in conjunction with the start of the sale. While it may not be true for some, it is definitely true for Anthem cruises that were not previously available for promotions. I booked a Canada/NE cruise on Anthem for August 25, 2016. My invoice shows the before-discount price is $1836 for a D8. But per the "fish" cruise price site, that cabin never sold for that price, the highest price was almost $100 less, and they only raised it to that recently. Previously it was in the $1600 range. Now, with the 30% off the higher price it is still a very good price, but I question where they get the $1836 price from and the legality of using it. Department stores like Macy's got into trouble a while ago in NY for advertising sales with a regular price that they had never sold items at. This would appear to be a similar situation. And the sale price has since gone up by $14, which means they've raised the base price by $20.

BTW for anyone excited about the 72 hour Cybersale coming up on Friday ($50 extra off for balcony or suite, $25 for lesser cabins), while it can be combined with the 30/30 sale, the fine print says it CANNOT be combined with C&A savings. So it will be worthless for many of us. My TA said she'll try it anyway to see if it works with C&A. It's worth a shot.

Edited by MisterBill99