30 for 30 deal from June 1st??

They seem to be discounting the balcony discount also.

250 - 30% = 175

You're probably right--has RCL ever applied a discount to a discount. As an example, not previously applied to the residency/senior rates, so I find this unusual.

Sorry to disagree with people, when we booked our Harmony cruise yesterday, we got our full balcony discount for our C&A level, along with the rest of the promo being offered.

Yes they are giving you your full balcony discount but if you look under charges for passenger 1 they are giving the 30% discount for passenger 1 on the price AFTER deducting the balcony discount. If your fare is $1,000 each and passenger 1 gets $250 balcony discount, then they will take 30% off $750 for passenger 1 and then 30% off $1,000 for passenger 2

Yes they are giving you your full balcony discount but if you look under charges for passenger 1 they are giving the 30% discount for passenger 1 on the price AFTER deducting the balcony discount. If your fare is $1,000 each and passenger 1 gets $250 balcony discount, then they will take 30% off $750 for passenger 1 and then 30% off $1,000 for passenger 2

Yes -- but some people have stated that you are only getting 70% of the C&A balcony discount....and that is inaccurate. Royal can deduct your full C&A discount and then compute the 30% off....it isn't any different from the way hotels (if applicable or other types of companies compute sales and discounts).

So....was yesterday a mistake in their pricing or Royal just lowered how much prices went up? The Allure price for my cruise next April went up a ton yesterday with a total increase from what I paid of $1500. But today the prices are more inline. Still more than May 31st, but at least normal increase. Our stateroom is still $600 more than we paid a few months ago, but at least not $1500 more.

Edited by LuCruise

Yes -- but some people have stated that you are only getting 70% of the C&A balcony discount....and that is inaccurate. Royal can deduct your full C&A discount and then compute the 30% off....it isn't any different from the way hotels (if applicable or other types of companies compute sales and discounts).

Reminds me of Kohls cash and a coupon. They apply the cash coupons prior to the percent off as well. Not happy about that, but I won't argue with sales clerk about it.

I think what has many folks irritated is the end value of the balcony discount is diminished the way they are doing it.

This is semantics. The math is the same. The difference is comparing the fare for someone with a balcony discount to someone without. The difference is 70% of the balcony discount.

(Fare - balcony discount) * 70% is the same as

(Fare * 70%) - (balcony discount * 70%).

If you don't have a balcony discount, then you pay Fare * 70%.

Therefore, the value of the balcony discount is only worth 70% of the published balcony discount rate.

As for how other places compute discounts, it depends on their order of discounting. Some may take percentages off before taking flat amount discounts, or vice versa. Behavior also depends on whether discounts are at the product level or order level. Yeah, this is a part of what I do for a living. Order level discounts are on the order subtotal, which is the sum of all product prices after product-level discounts.

Personally, I feel balcony discounts should be taken on the order level, because they are not a passenger discount, they are a cabin discount. Yet they apply on the product level (against the individual pax 1 fare), which means you don't really get the full value when applied to a passenger that already is getting a percentage discount.

After reading this thread last night, I checked my booking for the Anthem next Oct. The price had gone down so I called this morning and got a price reduction of $349! It pays to read Cruise Critic!!

I just called C&A...I saved $57 on my November 2016 Liberty booking. It was a little less than I thought because of the order they applied the discounts, but since I was a very naughty girl a couple weeks ago and upgraded my real estate, every penny counts!:o I kept my balcony discount and my OBC, so it was a win in my book, and it only took about 3 minutes.:D

Sorry to disagree with people, when we booked our Harmony cruise yesterday, we got our full balcony discount for our C&A level, along with the rest of the promo being offered.

You must be one of the lucky ones or have the right connections at Royal. I phoned Crown and Anchor today, they said this is the way the the balcony discount gets priced with this 30/30 promotion. I don't agree with it, but who am I to argue! I'm happy with the price I paid for my balcony cabins even though the C&A Balcony discount only resulted in a $70 savings.

I just called C&A...I saved $57 on my November 2016 Liberty booking. It was a little less than I thought because of the order they applied the discounts, but since I was a very naughty girl a couple weeks ago and upgraded my real estate, every penny counts!:o I kept my balcony discount and my OBC, so it was a win in my book, and it only took about 3 minutes.:D

Was this a new booking or an existing reservation. The caveat is that the 30/30 promo is for new bookings.

You must be one of the lucky ones or have the right connections at Royal. I phoned Crown and Anchor today, they said this is the way the the balcony discount gets priced with this 30/30 promotion. I don't agree with it, but who am I to argue! I'm happy with the price I paid for my balcony cabins even though the C&A Balcony discount only resulted in a $70 savings.

I can only tell what happened when we booked our cruise last night....and I just looked at the emailed confirmation they sent us. I wish I had connections in the C&A department, because I would surely have liked to make a smaller deposit....but I wasn't going to wait until we sail on Navigator in November to have the ability of a smaller deposit and get an OBC -- because by then, the price we got would be 'history' I fully expect.

I can only tell what happened when we booked our cruise last night....and I just looked at the emailed confirmation they sent us. I wish I had connections in the C&A department, because I would surely have liked to make a smaller deposit....but I wasn't going to wait until we sail on Navigator in November to have the ability of a smaller deposit and get an OBC -- because by then, the price we got would be 'history' I fully expect.

What is the total price of person 1 compared to person 2. How much different is it.

30/30 Yuck! :(

In view of the fact that there were some very good deals on Harmony and a few select other sailings, I hereby remove my "Yuck!". :o

Harmony prices were truly reduced 30%, with balconies costing LESS than OVs and insides! I booked a 3 night sampler and a 7 night Eastern Caribbean. I was able to snag the last neighborhood balcony, a CP, on the 3 nighter. And, while not 30% less than her sister ships for same 7-night Eastern itinerary and time frame, a B2 balcony was $150-$200 less for this new ship.

And yes, I did receive my full balcony discount on both of these but then the 30% discount is taken off the reduced amount, negating 30% of the balcony discount. So passenger 1's price was equal to balcony discount x 70% less than passenger 2. Still a happy cruiser though. :D

~ Judy

$245 in my case, but the discount was $350.

BTW, $245 is 70% of $350. But I got my full discount. :o

Just booked a December 2016 cruise on Brilliance. On the booking invoice it shows the $150 D+ balcony discount, but when you do the math, it only enhanced the price reduction by $105 (70% of $150). The discounts don't stack. They take the balcony discount off of the price and then take 30% off of that amount. Either way, the cruise was about $150 less than when we looked at booking last week, but we lost the $50/pp Celebrate OBC. Net net, we saved $50.

Was this a new booking or an existing reservation. The caveat is that the 30/30 promo is for new bookings.

It was an existing booking that I made on the Serenade in March, and the re-pricing today was the third change I've made to it!:o I changed the sail date, then the cabin category, and today the price. I've kept my reduced deposit and my OBC through all the changes.

Companies deduct 'non cash discounts' from purchases all the time prior to giving a percentage off on a product -- this pricing strategy is not new. But it doesn't negate that you are getting the full value of the 'non cash discount'.

Cable company promotions, wireless company promotions and retailers have used these pricing models for many years.

With cruises only one C&A balcony discount is given in a double occupancy cabin and as long as it is deducted in full from one of the cruisers (cruiser #1) all is fine. The calculation that follows will change for each cruiser....but the full discount was applied.

I can tell you this, the prices we paid for this Harmony cruise are several hundred dollars less than we paid for our Allure cruise in July 2013 when we were in a balcony overlooking Central Park and this time we are in the last balcony overlooking the Aqua Theater.

Some people may simply not like it calculated like this....but this is common.

Edited by Paulette3028

Even though they are applying the balcony discount, you do not receive the full value of the discount relative to the price not having a balcony discount.

You can explain it any way you want. But math is math.