Is this a policy placing your tray outside the cabin?

I find it quite disturbing that folks leave their empty trays out in the hall. How tacky, classless, and frankly, quite trailer park-ish.

When I've stayed in hotels that offered room service (so generally, not tacky, classless, or trailer parkish hotels), I'd often see empty trays out in the hallway. Why would anyone think about it being different on a cruise ship?:confused:

I'm in a wheelchair and never once have had trouble getting around the trays. The cleaning carts and the scooters and wheelchairs that are NOT supposed to be in the hallways present a much bigger and more dangerous problem than a tray or two.

Putting trays in the hallway is SOP in even the finest luxury hotels as far as I know. The problem lies with people not calling room service to pick up the trays and room service not actually picking them up in a timely matter.

Sure, cabin attendants will take care of them but it's more work for them and NOT their job. They have nothing to do with room service l

I don't know what luxury hotels you stay in, but whenever we are at the Four Seasons they ask us to call room service to have the tray removed. If they don't get a call within a few hours of delivery they actually send someone to retrieve it.

I don't know what luxury hotels you stay in, but whenever we are at the Four Seasons they ask us to call room service to have the tray removed..

Which is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do on the ship.

Also, I said "as far as I know". I don't make a habit of staying at luxury hotels but the few I HAVE stayed at have had rooms service trays in the hallways for short periods of time. Just figured that was SOP.

I consider Ritz Carlton, Westin, Hyatt, etc pretty luxurious. Maybe they aren't but a quick google search will show you room service trays in the hallways at all these hotels. Guess they cater to trailer park trash too. Lol

I don't care either way. I don't order room service nor am I bothered by a tray or two in the hallways. There are much bigger things to worry about IMHO.

Edited by ryano

When I've stayed in hotels that offered room service (so generally, not tacky, classless, or trailer parkish hotels), I'd often see empty trays out in the hallway. Why would anyone think about it being different on a cruise ship?:confused:

Thank you. I rest my case

It just doesn't look nice when there are trays all over the hallway floors, glasses left in corners of elevators, on any ledge available, public bathrooms, pool area floors, etc. My opinion is, if you wouldn't make the mess at home, please don't do it on vacation. The post about wheel chairs and scooters is also very valid.

This is a pet peeve for me and the wife. Glasses and dishes left everywhere by a bunch of ill mannered slobs. There are bars everywhere, why not drop of your glasses there. Lazy a**es!

Of course having peeked inside some of the cabins while the cabin attendants are cleaning them makes me wonder what the conditions are in some of these peoples houses. :eek:

Never even thought of the range of issues discussed here. Usually leave them outside, but agree it could be dangerous and certainly looks a mess. I will have to rethink what to do in a weeks' time. First of all I will ask our cabin attendant what they prefer...

Because cruise ship hallways are generally a lot narrower than hotel hallways.

Sure, cabin attendants will take care of them but it's more work for them and NOT their job. They have nothing to do with room service l

So if there is an empty plate in the cabin that was brought there from room service it is not the cabin attendant's job to remove it but if there is an empty plate in the cabin that was brought there from the Windjammer by the cabin's occupant it is the cabin attendant's responsibility?

We just got back from a cruise on another line and they did NOT have the room attendant's carts in the hallways. It was so nice not to have to go around them. It sure made the hallways a lot tidier.

As far as the trays, your little, tiny cabin starts to smell after a very short time, if you leave the tray and scraps in there.

Never even thought of the range of issues discussed here. Usually leave them outside, but agree it could be dangerous and certainly looks a mess. I will have to rethink what to do in a weeks' time. First of all I will ask our cabin attendant what they prefer...

Good thought to ask the cabin attendant....

On Princess we left the cabin after finishing our room service breakfast. We called room service to pick it up but they did not come by the time we were ready to leave for spa appointments, so we left the tray on the coffee table.

We returned about 90 minutes later and our steward was on the phone in our room calling room service to pick up our tray!

We call room service and many times "they" have told us to leave it outside "our" cabin door. We follow their directions regardless. My pet peeve is when someone from a near by cabin leaves "their" dirty dishes/tray outside "my" door...REALLY :eek:

As far as wheelchairs/scooters being left in the hallway...I thought this was against policy on RCI due to the possible firehazard :confused:

We use room service a lot for a snack with early morning coffee, and always leave it neatly stacked on the table inside our cabin.

But is doesn't bother us that others put their trays in the hallway, actually we look at the trays when going back to our cabin to see what everyone is eating!:D

It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would be concerned about a tray tucked next to the door. Have cruised 18-19 times (RCL, Celebrity, NCL, Princess and Carnival) and have seen trays outside doors on every cruiseline. I've stayed at the Ritz, Four Seasons, Palace, and Hiltons all over the world when traveling on business, and it's a standard practice. The trays usually don't stay there long, since either a steward or a room service waiter making another delivery scoop them up. People can certainly call Room Service to flag that the trays are outside, but I doubt they'll send someone to make a separate trip to pick them up. Seems like a small thing to be annoyed about. Frankly, I've never seen the halls filled with trays anywhere. The room service menu simply isn't that great, compared to other food choices.

Recently on Radiance we called when we were done and were told the tray should be left outside the room on the floor and it would be collected. I have been informed it is not the job of the stateroom attendant but if one is in the room when he is cleaning it, he will always remove it. Every time we had room service we called and were told to leave them outside. I constantly saw staff with trolleys collecting trays and collection was usually very prompt.

It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would be concerned about a tray tucked next to the door. Have cruised 18-19 times (RCL, Celebrity, NCL, Princess and Carnival) and have seen trays outside doors on every cruiseline. I've stayed at the Ritz, Four Seasons, Palace, and Hiltons all over the world when traveling on business, and it's a standard practice. The trays usually don't stay there long, since either a steward or a room service waiter making another delivery scoop them up. People can certainly call Room Service to flag that the trays are outside, but I doubt they'll send someone to make a separate trip to pick them up. Seems like a small thing to be annoyed about. Frankly, I've never seen the halls filled with trays anywhere. The room service menu simply isn't that great, compared to other food choices.

We often stay at Westin, Hilton and various boutique hotels. Have been told to sit it outside and call on more occasions than I can remember. I agree, they don't bother us.

Edited by Snobe

We typically toss everything out the balcony window and have never had a complaint. I am booked on an oasis neighborhood balcony leaving next week and hope we would still be able to toss everything out at night without being noticed.

This was a very good question so why the name calling and personal attacks?

We share a common interest in cruising and this seems to be a good place for answers. Is it necessary to be nasty? :(

You are obviously new. :rolleyes:

We typically toss everything out the balcony window and have never had a complaint. I am booked on an oasis neighborhood balcony leaving next week and hope we would still be able to toss everything out at night without being noticed.

That will work, a perfect solution!!!! :D:eek: