Harmony abyss ????

Ashland

Guests will launch onto the ride from a glass platform, where they can take one last look at the Boardwalk 10 decks below before climbing onto a customized mat.

I assume the mat is required to control the speed. Hmmm..... I wonder what would happen if you come off the mat.:eek:

Guests will slide down at nine miles an hour, approximately, from the Pool and Sports Zone on Deck 16 to the Boardwalk on Deck 6 below.

At that speed and 216 ft long, it's about a 16 second ride. Assuming a bit of time between riders they could do at least one a minute. I see the return of the mat to the top as the thing that might slow things.

But how am I to get my lunch while I'm flowriding.;) I figured a quick zip down the slide, a stop at the Dog House, and elevator ride back up while eating. Someone could even hold my spot the flowrider line and I'd be back before my next ride. This is all in jest, but if it worked I'd love it.

You should really wait at least 30 minutes after eating that hotdog before going back on the flowrider.

I know understand that it is now a dry slide, but that still doesn't answer the question how they will get the matts back top. And as someone pointed out, what happens if you "fall" off the mat?

Also, they say it is a 10 deck drop (from deck 16 to deck 6). It is actually a 9 deck drop, since there is no deck 13 on RCCL ships.

I am also concerned about heat issues while sailing in the Caribbean, since it seems to be completely enclosed.

Edited by gatour

I know understand that it is now a dry slide, but that still doesn't answer the question how they will get the matts back top. And as someone pointed out, what happens if you "fall" off the mat?

Also, they say it is a 10 deck drop (from deck 16 to deck 6). It is actually a 9 deck drop, since there is no deck 13 on RCCL ships.

I am also concerned about heat issues while sailing in the Caribbean, since it seems to be completely enclosed.

I'm sure it's all being considered. I for one am happy to get this information

Claustrophobics need not try it - 2.6 ft is pretty tight.:cool:

Agree. It certainly wouldn't be for me. BUT...tons of fun for those brave one. My DS for sure would love it. Think it's awesome Royal is adding both dry and wet slides on their ships.

I'm not sure about that. Isn't there supposed to be lighting inside the tube to create a sense of speed

I was assuming this unit will be similar to land based ones that seem to be that way. We'll have to wait for details on RCI's version.

Ah come on setsail, what would CC be without a little whining? And half the fun of a new build ship is speculation and anticipation. And some wine with our whine. ;)

Yes the zip line has screamers, but what I really enjoyed about walking on the Boardwalk is how eerily quiet it was in the evenings, after any Aqua shows ended.

~ Judy

We were right under the launch pad,(11729) never heard any screams! We had a little noise come through the balcony door with late night parties on the Boardwalk, but didn't last too long. Also the announcer on the AquaTheater but with T.V. on was drowned out. Not bad anyways.

I don't think there will be much obstruction with this new slide. At least not the last few balconies. In fact, maybe it will fortuatously block your neighbors across the way:D

s0v05s.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
The 12329 room view rearward will be similar to the red box shown here:

2vlpf2e.jpg

12329 is on the other side.....We'll just have to wait and see how much it blocks the view. I have that cabin on my B2B in January 2017. Too late to change as prices have gone up on all Harmony cruises.

I’m browsing old threads regarding obstrHarmony/ Boardwalk/ abyss reviews.

Have you sailed yet?

What is your opinion about the Abyss blocking the view of the theatre? The choices we have are 8719 or 11319.

(There are no cabins closer to the theatre available.). Our only choice is what deck we’d be on, 8 or 11. Opinion on view? (I’m not concerned about the noise.)

We would never book another Boardwalk Balcony. Thought we would give it a try and hated the lack of privacy and noise. We had 12329 on a b2b and the movie played til 1am every night right through our balcony door. We had a guy with his binoculars across from us every day. Never seemed to be looking at the ocean.....so our curtains stayed closed for most of the journey.

We should of paid a little extra.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I have booked 8727 Boardwalk balcony and was concerned about my view but my travel agent called RRC and was assured it would be okay that 8729 would have obstruction view .

Just a word of advice - be very skeptical of specific info like that given out by RCI CSR.

I have booked 8727 Boardwalk balcony and was concerned about my view but my travel agent called RRC and was assured it would be okay that 8729 would have obstruction view . I just hope they are right too late to change now due to due to perks

The view from 9727

d858ccf0584518d5b31fc7f4245baea6.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Forums mobile app

Rcl said my view was not be obstructed which might be true if I were to look directly in front of me. I choose Boardwalk cabins to watch the shows, movies and the Ocean. Decided to switch to an ocean view after I saw a video on YouTube. His cabin is 3 doors down from where I was supposed to be proving the abyss was now in my line of sight.

to see the balcony view start about 2:30 seconds in.

We are booked in room 10329 which is the end balcony boardwalk stateroom. We were a little concerned but another cc member took a few pictures which look great although I guess it will be different on different decks.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2366904

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app