Next up Hurricane Erica

Maybe I'm just obsessed with hurricanes and cruising but models are projecting Erica will turn into a hurricane and hit the Bahamas on Sunday or Monday and then move stateside.

Since so many itineraries are changed to avoid a storm where would they divert ships going to the Bahamas since this seems to be a port where ships tend to be diverted to.

Leaving on Oasis this coming Saturday and we are supposed to be heading to Labadee as our first port of call. I suspect that they may have to reverse our path to do Cozumel first and Labadee last since Erika will be traversing north of Hispaniola on Sunday and Monday.

Hurricane might be a bit of a stretch. The current model runs vary quite a bit on this storm, and there is a very good chance that it will go the way of Danny, which is to dissipate. And current satellite loops are showing a very unimpressive storm indeed.

One of the more "optimistic" models has Erika surviving to be a TROPICAL STORM off Florida, but it's still just too early to make much of a presumption.

Recall that El Nino years like this one are usually "very good" to Caribbean cruisers. The same weather patterns that create the El Nino usually create high wind shear across the Caribbean. This suppresses tropical cyclone development below what might otherwise be the case.

Hurricane Hunters are scheduled to be in the storm this evening, and the resultant wx data should provide better model runs over the next day or two.

Based on the 5 day forecast track by the National Hurricane Center it would appear that it is headed for the Bahamas and will be in the central Bahamas Sunday morning. My guess is that Saturday cruises will be headed west and out of harms way and Sunday departures from Miami, FTL, and PC will be giving the storm a wide berth. Ocean temperatures down here are in the high 80's which fuels these storms. Stay tuned for future forecasts.

I've seen a lot of talk about re-routing FL based cruises headed to the Caribbean. Anyone know what they would do to re-route a Bermuda cruise leaving out of NJ if a storm comes up the East Coast? Or just want to speculate with me? :) Our cruise is still a little while away, but all this hurricane talk has me wondering what the options would be...

I've seen a lot of talk about re-routing FL based cruises headed to the Caribbean. Anyone know what they would do to re-route a Bermuda cruise leaving out of NJ if a storm comes up the East Coast? Or just want to speculate with me? :) Our cruise is still a little while away, but all this hurricane talk has me wondering what the options would be...

Up north to Canada. It has been done before.

Worried here too. Leaving this Sat on the Oasis & like others, think they'll probably reverse our itinerary to avoid Erika.

Wonder how far ahead they will let us know... My son works on the ship so I will get first hand news I guess....

Well let us know when you know mabelcat! That's awesome that you have the inside scoop. Hoping for answers soon, we still haven't booked our private excursion in Falmouth so we're waiting until we get some certainty since those generally aren't refundable.

I have booked in Falmouth and in Cozumel .... Falmouth was a gentlemans agreement so no deposit required, but put down a deposit in Cozumel.....

He said they had rain on Saturday, leaving Florida, but haven't heard whats up with the weather now.

Will keep you posted as I hear....!!!