Next up Hurricane Erica

finally someone hit on the critical point

the cruise line will try everything within reason and safety to stay on schedule for turnaround etc

but if COTP closes the port, that's game over ..... the lines then scramble to find an alternate port for the ship (for example when Disney sent a Canaveral ship to Lauderdale and provided bus service)

and for you acronym lovers that's Captain Of The Port .... usually the Commander of the corresponding Coast Guard Sector.

In this case, not only can ships not come in ... anything already there is told to leave ... concern is damage to facilities or a ship ending up blocking a channel ... and sometimes the port can stay closed for a while after a storm passes as surveys must be done to ensure safety of navigation: was there any shoaling, are all buoys on station, any navigation lights or day markers missing . . .

I was on it in 2012 when we were stuck out at sea for 2 more days.. compensation - free calls home for 24 hours and free internet for those days to make arrangements as needed-- nothing more..

we never ran out of anything but condiments...LOL.. jelly butter and syrup are very important...

just checked RCI site, no updates about my 4 day from Miami on the Majesty... Leaving on Monday.

We are leaving Monday as well but out of PC- I don't expect to hear anything about our sailing until Saturday at the soonest

Just checked RCL site 4:15 , no 4pm update yet.

I was on it in 2012 when we were stuck out at sea for 2 more days.. compensation - free calls home for 24 hours and free internet for those days to make arrangements as needed-- nothing more..

we never ran out of anything but condiments...LOL.. jelly butter and syrup are very important...

Easily hoarded, along with fruit loops and corn pops. :D

Alerts

Tropical Store Erika - August 27, 2015 - 4:00 p.m. EDT

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Tropical Storm Erika to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

Independence of the Seas

Due to the current path of the storm, Independence of the Seas will now depart Port Everglades at 3:00 p.m. Check in and boarding will take place between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

We encourage guests sailing on Adventures of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, and Freedom of the Seas monitor this website for any additional updates.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible, including the section on your preferred method of contact while traveling. You can access online check-in at www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, August 28, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.

We are leaving Monday as well but out of PC- I don't expect to hear anything about our sailing until Saturday at the soonest

Did you really expect them to be on time. :rolleyes::eek:

Thanks Kathy, just saw your post.

Mine is still valid though. :p

Edited by John&LaLa

finally someone hit on the critical point

the cruise line will try everything within reason and safety to stay on schedule for turnaround etc

but if COTP closes the port, that's game over ..... the lines then scramble to find an alternate port for the ship (for example when Disney sent a Canaveral ship to Lauderdale and provided bus service)

and for you acronym lovers that's Captain Of The Port .... usually the Commander of the corresponding Coast Guard Sector.

In this case, not only can ships not come in ... anything already there is told to leave ... concern is damage to facilities or a ship ending up blocking a channel ... and sometimes the port can stay closed for a while after a storm passes as surveys must be done to ensure safety of navigation: was there any shoaling, are all buoys on station, any navigation lights or day markers missing . . .

The COTP Jacksonville Zone should not be considered a safe hurricane haven during hurricane conditions. Vessel owners, operators and agents shall make every attempt to put oceangoing vessels greater than 500 gross tons to sea in the event a hurricane or tropical storm threatens the ports of Jacksonville, Fernandina, or Canaveral. In the event that a commercial oceangoing vessel or oceangoing barge over 500 gross tons cannot comply with the order to depart, the person in charge of the vessel must submit a Remain in Port Request to the COTP. The request form can be obtained from the Sector Jacksonville HOMEPORT internet site at http://homeport.uscg.mil. The COTP will carefully evaluate vessels requesting to remain in port, paying particular attention to ensure that the safety of life at sea is protected.

Ya, that seems really fair, considering it was no fault of the cruise line.

I wonder how the folks still on board were compensated for their "inconvenience".

I would love to be stuck on the ship a couple extra days, but there would certainly be extra costs that one wouldn't have accounted for. ie. increased airfare home, missed work, etc.... Anyone know?

It's not necessarily about whether or not it's the fault of the cruise line in this situation. It's the fact that there are other options besides cruising. This type of situation could cause customers to choose another form of vacation. The compensation is a way to hopefully bring those customers back if they would have otherwise decided not to cruise again.

At least they are listing Enchantment on the itinerary part of the site now. No changes mentioned except for Indy leaving earlier.

At least they are listing Enchantment on the itinerary part of the site now. No changes mentioned except for Indy leaving earlier.

I don't feel so left out now. I knew it was just usual RCL fashion to leave out the EN and the MJ.;)

It's not necessarily about whether or not it's the fault of the cruise line in this situation. It's the fact that there are other options besides cruising. This type of situation could cause customers to choose another form of vacation. The compensation is a way to hopefully bring those customers back if they would have otherwise decided not to cruise again.

Regardless of what happens to the storm, its a good idea to participate in the roll call for your cruise. We arrived the morning before our cruise like we usually do and would not have known about the change until much later. RCCL tried to contact us on our home number but obviously we weren't there to answer. For some reason we did not get an email notification until the day we were originally scheduled to embark. I was kept informed through the roll call and was able to secure our hotel rooms for 2 extra days the moment we arrived in FLL. Was also informed about the reimbursements and what number to call so we spent the better part of that morning on hold trying to make our arrangements. Needless to say, we had probably the most active and enjoyable meet and greet on the ship as many stayed later to talk about their experiences.

Email received from RCCL concerning our Sunday departure on Independence...

This is an important message regarding your upcoming cruise.

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your August 30, 2015, sailing onboard Independence of the Seas. There has been a change in the departure time for your cruise. Tropical Storm Erika has been forecasted to make landfall in South Florida on Monday, August 31. Due to the current path of the storm, Independence of the Seas will now depart Port Everglades at 3:00 p.m. Check in and boarding for your cruise will take place between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I sail on freedom on the 6th and keeping fingers and toes crossed that we've no hurricanes I know I'm looking for trouble sailing in hurricane season but I'm Irish and forgot to factor it in

Shamrocks from this Irish Canadian. ;)

I dont like to check in online always prefer to do it in person... should i check in or it will be ok... they arent saying its mandatory but i wonder....

They want your contact info so they can quickly inform you of itinerary changes. I would at least fill out the contact info part of the online check-in.

Thank you will do.. t

I booked through a TA and i know his info is there at least.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Hopefully,your agent works weekends and can be contacted ,to contact you:)