Guests in Diamond Lounge

When we did Freedom in June the DL was hopping, but we enjoyed the staff in the CL, so we usually went there. Never more than a couple of groups while we were there. 6:30 - 7:30 usually

I think maybe the solution might be to offer a combined lounge for certain ships and/or certain cruises. If the suites lounge and diamond lounge are both not full (or in our case, dead) it may make sense to join forces. It could be done on a cruise by cruise basis.

Edited to Add: On the last full sea day, there was an event going on for emerald and higher members in Giovanni's. We peeked in and that was dead too! RCL did offer a champagne brunch for the suites at Chops Grill on the day we were stopping at Santorini. It was fairly well attended but people generally stayed for only half an hour and kept to themselves.

Edited by Baby_Bear

I think maybe the solution might be to offer a combined lounge for certain ships and/or certain cruises. If the suites lounge and diamond lounge are both not full (or in our case, dead) it may make sense to join forces. It could be done on a cruise by cruise basis.

Edited to Add: On the last full sea day, there was an event going on for emerald and higher members in Giovanni's. We peeked in and that was dead too! RCL did offer a champagne brunch for the suites at Chops Grill on the day we were stopping at Santorini. It was fairly well attended but people generally stayed for only half an hour and kept to themselves.

Count me in as someone who would skip brunch in Santorini. First off last on for me.

We just had the exact same experience, but in the Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody. It was deader than a dodo for the first six of the seven nights of our cruise. It was mysteriously crowded on the last night! During the early part of the cruise it was so quiet in the lounge, I was considering asking the concierge if we could go to the Diamond Lounge instead. Not so we could cop free drinks or snacks (we already had those where we were) but for a hopefully more lively atmosphere. I decided against asking her, as I figured she would have to say no. Maybe RCL should consider having one big combined lounge for the suites and Diamonds!

When we were on the Rhapsody last December the Concierge lounge was so full he had to open up the back door. He also started asking some of the Diamond plus if they minded going down to the Diamond lounge as it was nearly empty.

Talking to JD on the Radiance a few years back and he said if there isn't going to be that many diamonds on board they only serve drinks in the concierge lounge and Diamond members are allowed in.

Edited by Jasp 0401

They know but want a way around it.

Usually because of guests are traveling together.

When we were waiting in the priority area to embark the Freedom last week, there were two couples and from the conversation, it appeared one was D+ but their traveling friends were not. They showed their friends how to cover the bottom of the card so their status area did not show and everyone could board together when D+ was called to board.

No saying that couple # one tried to get their friends in to D or C lounge, but it is the same concept.

We've heard of folks bringing friends in by switching sea pass cards. That meaning, If I am the D couple, that I give my sea pass to the other woman. I walk in with my husband, and we just show his card, and the other couple walk in and just show her card. Pretty sneaky! I guess that is why both of our cards were checked last week.

M

I totally agree, people who pose the question about getting non eligible people into the DL or CL know they shouldn't but hope to learn how others do get people in anyway.

To those people they want rules not to apply to them. Often times however, when something that they have earned, is given unfairly to someone who has not earned it (and that person is NOT in their group or party) they will be the first to complain.

I always remember our very first cruise, when we were cruising with friends who were experienced cruisers and had perks we did not have. WE had NO problem being unable to accompany them to some events. We have earned our own benefits now, and can enjoy them together.

We cruised on Jewel OTS out of Tampa Feb/Mar B2B after she relocated from Port Everglades. The Hollywood Odyssey was the overflow for the Deck 10 Concierge Lounge where Maryia Lyamshyna (now the Loyalty Ambassador) held court ;) The Diamond Event took place in the Viking Crown area across from the lifts and Hollywood Odyssey which on Brilliance is now the Diamond Lounge.

Having cruised on Jewel several times, I knew that this statement was inaccurate...."We sailed Jewel twice out of Tampa and it did have Diamond Lounge across from Concierge Club and Viking Crown Lounge"..... because the CL is still on Deck 10 that's why I questioned the ship. The Yacht Club is across from the CL.

Thanks for the info. It must have been 4 or 5 years ago that you did your b2b.

Edited by cruisenfever

On my last Allure cruise - when the large lounge overlooking the boardwalk was concierge - as I walked out, a guy with a large carafe asked me to let him in to fill it up with coffee. I said absolutely not and he responded, "Well, my friend that I usually sail with always takes me in the concierge lounge with him." I just shook my head and told him he could get coffee at the Windjammer.

We just had the exact same experience, but in the Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody. It was deader than a dodo for the first six of the seven nights of our cruise. It was mysteriously crowded on the last night! During the early part of the cruise it was so quiet in the lounge, I was considering asking the concierge if we could go to the Diamond Lounge instead. Not so we could cop free drinks or snacks (we already had those where we were) but for a hopefully more lively atmosphere. I decided against asking her, as I figured she would have to say no. Maybe RCL should consider having one big combined lounge for the suites and Diamonds!

The Enchantment always varies in the amount of people in the CL/DC. I have been on one cruise when they are using almost the entire Viking Crown as overflow, and the next cruise, it is like the pictures are showing. Guess you never know how many/few will be on until you board. Other ships such as the Freedom always seems crowded.

With the Rhapsody, often there are minimal top tier cruisers in Alaska and especially once you leave the United States - The lounges were empty every night on all my Rhapsody Cruises to Alaska (Last year and prior since RH didn't do Alaska this year), especially after 530pm - early dinner.

The Enchantment always varies in the amount of people in the CL/DC. I have been on one cruise when they are using almost the entire Viking Crown as overflow, and the next cruise, it is like the pictures are showing. Guess you never know how many/few will be on until you board. Other ships such as the Freedom always seems crowded.

With the Rhapsody, often there are minimal top tier cruisers in Alaska and especially once you leave the United States - The lounges were empty every night on all my Rhapsody Cruises to Alaska (Last year and prior since RH didn't do Alaska this year), especially after 530pm - early dinner.

I think it's a function of the time of year. Cheap TA's, fall cruises, January cruises allways seem to need overflow lounges. Spring Break and summer in the states are often uncrowded. As always, YMMV

I totally agree, people who pose the question about getting non eligible people into the DL or CL know they shouldn't but hope to learn how others do get people in anyway.

To those people they want rules not to apply to them. Often times however, when something that they have earned, is given unfairly to someone who has not earned it (and that person is NOT in their group or party) they will be the first to complain.

I always remember our very first cruise, when we were cruising with friends who were experienced cruisers and had perks we did not have. WE had NO problem being unable to accompany them to some events. We have earned our own benefits now, and can enjoy them together.

I do agree that some people do exactly what you are stating. They are simply trying to find a way around the rules that RCI has set in place. However, there are those who simply post a question because they want information. They may not actually know the exact rules and come to the boards seeking to have their questions answered. After all...isn't that what the boards are for? People wanting to share information for those who are not as knowledgeable? I'm not trying to sound critical, but perhaps the picture should not be painted with such a broad brush. Just my opinion, of course. Happy cruising to you!

I do agree that some people do exactly what you are stating. They are simply trying to find a way around the rules that RCI has set in place. However, there are those who simply post a question because they want information. They may not actually know the exact rules and come to the boards seeking to have their questions answered. After all...isn't that what the boards are for? People wanting to share information for those who are not as knowledgeable? I'm not trying to sound critical, but perhaps the picture should not be painted with such a broad brush. Just my opinion, of course. Happy cruising to you!

The 'intent' of the questioner can often be figured out by the way the question is phrased.

When I read a post that says something like "I am Diamond and cruising with others that are not Diamond, can I have them join me in the DL....." even if this is going to be their first cruise as Diamond, they know what the rules are..and IMO are looking for ways around the system.

When I read a post that says something like "I am new to cruising and climbing up the C&A levels and when I get to Diamond will it be OK if..." that signifies to me, curiosity.

There are many other interesting phrases people use for both scenarios about, but most of us can figure out the differences in intent.

My first cruise after I became Diamond was on a Celebrity ship. When we arrived at the cabin there was a pass for my cabin mate who wasn't Diamond/Elite to attend events and lounge with me. He also got coupons for 3 free drinks to use at the bars during happy hours. So......yes a few months ago I asked the same question. Not always someone trying to beat the system.

My first cruise after I became Diamond was on a Celebrity ship. When we arrived at the cabin there was a pass for my cabin mate who wasn't Diamond/Elite to attend events and lounge with me. He also got coupons for 3 free drinks to use at the bars during happy hours. So......yes a few months ago I asked the same question. Not always someone trying to beat the system.

Unfortunately the rules on RC and Celebrity are not the same, which perhaps leads to confusion at times; however, someone who is diamond or diamond plus should be aware of the rules pertaining to their cruise.

Agreed.

Celebrity is very generous in extending benefits to those in the cabin who have not reached the membership level. RCCL has taken a different approach.

enjoy

M

Agreed.

Celebrity is very generous in extending benefits to those in the cabin who have not reached the membership level. RCCL has taken a different approach.

enjoy

M

Well, I am not sure what Royal would do if the people were in the same cabin, yet had different C&A status levels. I had always thought that the cruisers had to have the same 'home address' and be in the same cabin to qualify for the higher benefits of one of the cruisers.

Notwithstanding that, the OP did not say anything about people staying in the same cabin. The query was regarding two other couples that were cruising along with them.

Maybe. I just dont see how someone that is Diamond doesnt know they cant bring guests that are not Diamond in the lounge with them. Again, Ive known this for several years and Im only Gold.

I have spent countless hours on here though :o

Well, I am not sure what Royal would do if the people were in the same cabin, yet had different C&A status levels. I had always thought that the cruisers had to have the same 'home address' and be in the same cabin to qualify for the higher benefits of one of the cruisers.

Notwithstanding that, the OP did not say anything about people staying in the same cabin. The query was regarding two other couples that were cruising along with them.

It does not matter if the non eligible person is in the same cabin with you or not. If they are not eligible they can't use the lounge

People can frequently be in the same cabin and have a different C&A status. Royal does not extend an invitation to the lounge; Celebrity does. Often cabin mates do not have the same address ...... Thinking of good friends, sisters, brothers, etc. recently sailed with a good friend from a different state, etc.

Celebrity also gives 3 free drinks on the card for use during happy hour? Didn't know that!

Celebrity also gives 3 free drinks on the card for use during happy hour? Didn't know that!

It depends on how many upper tier Captain's Club members are onboard. If there are not too many for the Elite Event which is held in a lounge, then no free drink coupons are given. We just cruised Celebrity Solstice in May and were not given pre-loaded drinks. We were invited to the "event", at which the drinks were given. :)