Guests in Diamond Lounge

I can't see why it wouldn't be OK to take friends in when no one else is in there. It's not like it's the holy of holies or anything.

Tom

Because that's the policy...many of us have earned the right to be in that "holy" place. ;)

On at least 3 cruises we have asked host/hostess permission to bring our friends with us to Diamond Lounge. In each instance permission was granted but we did have to pay for their drinks. They were in suite and actually entitled to Suite Lounge. I totally understand the opinions of friends/travel companions expecting free drinks but did not feel guilty since we paid for the drinks they enjoyed. We did not take them with us every evening.

I can't see why it wouldn't be OK to take friends in when no one else is in there. It's not like it's the holy of holies or anything.

Tom

It don't come easy...

Because that's the policy...many of us have earned the right to be in that "holy" place. ;)

Agree...it's a right of passage.

On at least 3 cruises we have asked host/hostess permission to bring our friends with us to Diamond Lounge. In each instance permission was granted but we did have to pay for their drinks. They were in suite and actually entitled to Suite Lounge. I totally understand the opinions of friends/travel companions expecting free drinks but did not feel guilty since we paid for the drinks they enjoyed. We did not take them with us every evening.

Confused. How did you pay for drinks in the diamond lounge? Never seen a cash register. Was it perhaps a diamond event not a true diamond lounge. When ships had a diamond event, as opposed to a lounge, you just received beer/wine and had to pay a reduced rate for other drinks.

Have seen concierges recently really not allowing anyone other than diamonds/diamond plus (which I totally agree with) in the lounge. On the Independence June of this year I was traveling with a non-diamond friend and found the lounge to be monitored very carefully. I had not planned to take my friend, or ask if she could accompany me, and noticed several people who asked/tried and were refused. I did stop to get snacks and concierge did suggest using loaded drink coupons in the Viking lounge and was okay with me taking a small plate of snacks to share.

Confused. How did you pay for drinks in the diamond lounge? Never seen a cash register. Was it perhaps a diamond event not a true diamond lounge...

I agree, it sounds like the old nightly Diamond Event.

Confused. How did you pay for drinks in the diamond lounge? Never seen a cash register. Was it perhaps a diamond event not a true diamond lounge. When ships had a diamond event, as opposed to a lounge, you just received beer/wine and had to pay a reduced rate for other drinks.

Paid on our sea pass. It was Diamond Lounge not a Diamond Event. It was not on recent cruises but a few years ago. Once on Allure, on Jewel and on one of the cruises out of Port Canaveral. I just asked and was told it would be ok since our friends always traveled in suites.

Paid on our sea pass. It was Diamond Lounge not a Diamond Event. It was not on recent cruises but a few years ago. Once on Allure, on Jewel and on one of the cruises out of Port Canaveral. I just asked and was told it would be ok since our friends always traveled in suites.

Jewel does not have a Diamond Lounge.

Edited by cruisenfever

Jewel does not have a Diamond Lounge.

And since it was a few years ago it would have been before the 3 free drink coupons when most ships were using one of the bars as an overflow lounge.

While I still stand by my statement that only those who belong should be allowed, sometimes the lounges are totally dead. Not always the mad houses many describe. This is from the Enchantment over Easter. I believe these were taken around 5:45, we had 6:15 MTD. it was just us, another couple and Desmond. A few more bodies would have livened things up, and provided Desmond with some cash. :o

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Wow, That is quiet. Thanks for sharing. I never experienced any D Lounges this quiet. Maybe it's a sign that the 3 free drinks you can get in other bars is working and people are trying and enjoying other venues for their pre dinner drinks.

There´s register in the Diamond Club on the Allure. I just checked my photos. As there´s no way to enter the Diamond Club without using the door opener operated by your SeaPass Card you can´t get in without being "checked". On the Oasis Eastbound TA there were two staff members outside The Blaze and the Jazz on 4 checking each person trying to get in during the cocktail hour. I remember our DD had problems getting in (she´s Diamond on her own but a minor). She was looking for us and had to explain this to the "guards". Then she was allowed to enter shortly to look for us.

steamboats

if they are not Diamond in their own right they do NOT have access to the lounge.

you may NOT bring guests in during cocktail hour.

I remember our very first cruise when we were cruising with friends that were veteran cruisers. At the time, DH and I did not fully understand the various levels and the perks that came with them. We had decided to go on a cruise with friends we had not seen for close to a year.

We knew that they would have an availability of activities on board that we were not going to have access to and that was just fine with us. I believe some Diamond and above cruisers feel more awkward about their own benefit which excludes their travel companions than their travel companions. Just musing.

What about people who cruise with others but are not in the same accommodations....some cruisers in a suite while others in a balcony cabin or inside cabin. Should everyone have access to the suite benefits? Of course not.

Now the cruise line has made it easier to enjoy a benefit of being a Diamond or above and the opportunity to enjoy time with fellow cruisers who don't have the same status as you do, by using the drink coupons. It isn't exactly the same, since it lacks the small snacks, but it is a compromise.

Wow, That is quiet. Thanks for sharing. I never experienced any D Lounges this quiet. Maybe it's a sign that the 3 free drinks you can get in other bars is working and people are trying and enjoying other venues for their pre dinner drinks.

That's why I took the picture, it was eerie. I think it was a combination of limited eligibility on board that voyage as well as the vouchers

We sailed Jewel twice out of Tampa and it did have Diamond Lounge across from Concierge Club and Viking Crown Lounge.

We might be discussing semantics. When people say there is no DL, they mean no dedicated DL, with 24 hour card access, a dedicated concierge, coffee machine, etc. Jewel does not yet have a dedicated DL. Jewel may have an area they typically use for Diamond members, but it's not a dedicated DL.

I'm guessing because of the smiley that this tongue in cheek, but I'm starting to think some people really believe this way. It's just a room. And, I feel fortunate to get to cruise. I'm happy for the perks, but I didn't do anything arduous to earn them. Except show up. :)

Tom

We might be discussing semantics. When people say there is no DL, they mean no dedicated DL, with 24 hour card access, a dedicated concierge, coffee machine, etc. Jewel does not yet have a dedicated DL. Jewel may have an area they typically use for Diamond members, but it's not a dedicated DL.

This is correct. Jewel won't get a true DL until it's drydock next year. Nightly Diamond Event is not nearly the same as the dedicated cocktail hour in the DL.

We sailed Jewel twice out of Tampa and it did have Diamond Lounge across from Concierge Club and Viking Crown Lounge.

Are you sure you aren't confusing Brilliance that does sail out of Tampa and does have a DL located across from the CL on Deck 13. I don't ever remember Jewel cruising out of Tampa, but it must have been quite a few years ago and if that's the case there was a Diamond Event. There was no lounge.

The Jewel is the "last" in the fleet to get a Diamond Lounge added. This will be accomplished when she goes in for her enhancements in April of 2016. If they do to the Jewel like they have done on her 3 sisters, they will take part of the VCL and partition it off to incorporate the lounge and it will be located on Deck 13.

The Concierge Lounge on Jewel is still located on Deck 10 mid-ship as shown on this deck plan http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=10&shipCode=JW&shipProfile=1636&sailDate=1150904&hasNavigation=falsen

Edited by cruisenfever

Are you sure you aren't confusing Brilliance that does sail out of Tampa and does have a DL located across from the CL on Deck 13. I don't ever remember Jewel cruising out of Tampa, but it must have been quite a few years ago and if that's the case there was a Diamond Event. There was no lounge.

We cruised on Jewel OTS out of Tampa Feb/Mar B2B after she relocated from Port Everglades. The Hollywood Odyssey was the overflow for the Deck 10 Concierge Lounge where Maryia Lyamshyna (now the Loyalty Ambassador) held court ;) The Diamond Event took place in the Viking Crown area across from the lifts and Hollywood Odyssey which on Brilliance is now the Diamond Lounge.

While I still stand by my statement that only those who belong should be allowed, sometimes the lounges are totally dead. Not always the mad houses many describe. This is from the Enchantment over Easter. I believe these were taken around 5:45, we had 6:15 MTD. it was just us, another couple and Desmond. A few more bodies would have livened things up, and provided Desmond with some cash. :o

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We just had the exact same experience, but in the Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody. It was deader than a dodo for the first six of the seven nights of our cruise. It was mysteriously crowded on the last night! During the early part of the cruise it was so quiet in the lounge, I was considering asking the concierge if we could go to the Diamond Lounge instead. Not so we could cop free drinks or snacks (we already had those where we were) but for a hopefully more lively atmosphere. I decided against asking her, as I figured she would have to say no. Maybe RCL should consider having one big combined lounge for the suites and Diamonds!

We just had the exact same experience, but in the Concierge Lounge on the Rhapsody. It was deader than a dodo for the first six of the seven nights of our cruise. It was mysteriously crowded on the last night! During the early part of the cruise it was so quiet in the lounge, I was considering asking the concierge if we could go to the Diamond Lounge instead. Not so we could cop free drinks or snacks (we already had those where we were) but for a hopefully more lively atmosphere. I decided against asking her, as I figured she would have to say no. Maybe RCL should consider having one big combined lounge for the suites and Diamonds!

The amount of traffic that a CL will experience depends a lot on the itinerary. Rhapsody is currently over in Europe now and it's possible there just are not that many D+/PC Members cruising from that region, plus the Rhapsody has a minimum number of eligible suites.

When we did Freedom in June the DL was hopping, but we enjoyed the staff in the CL, so we usually went there. Never more than a couple of groups while we were there. 6:30 - 7:30 usually