muster drills

SeaBands

when we last sailed Princess a few years ago they had the muster drill in the show room.Are they still doing it that way? I thinks having to do it several times on a cruise as a B2B or Collectors is unnecessary since you are in the same cabin and have the same muster location.

HAL still holds the drills at your lifeboat station. While it's not really needed for most B2B passengers to repeat the drill, it is probably less confusing for the crew than trying to sort out who is OK to not be at the drill.

Edited by catl331

Our last B2B was this past winter. We were required to attend the second drill. Princess still keeps people inside and on a B2B, no need to do it twice.

With Princess, your key card is scanned. On HAL they call out cabin numbers and/or names. Standing outside while they are still loading things can create more noise and it is more difficult to hear.

My biggest complaint is that it takes way too long. For new cruisers, it might be appropriate, but for us, there is nothing new to learn. It is on the TV in your cabin and on the back of your cabin door. To me (and please don't flame me), it is not necessary to take 20 - 25 minutes!

Jim

Our last B2B was this past winter. We were required to attend the second drill. Princess still keeps people inside and on a B2B, no need to do it twice.

With Princess, your key card is scanned. On HAL they call out cabin numbers and/or names. Standing outside while they are still loading things can create more noise and it is more difficult to hear.

My biggest complaint is that it takes way too long. For new cruisers, it might be appropriate, but for us, there is nothing new to learn. It is on the TV in your cabin and on the back of your cabin door. To me (and please don't flame me), it is not necessary to take 20 - 25 minutes!

Jim

We were facing the port on our recent cruise, and the loading activity on the dock made it very hard to hear cabin numbers being called. The crew member in charge stood near one end of the group, yelling numbers, and a second crew member stood near the other end, repeating them. It would be nice if they'd get scanners.

I know it's a bother and it's boring if you've done it a bunch of times. But next time, look around at all the confused people who haven't done it. They really need it. Even if they don't remember the route, they get the general idea of how it works. Best thing we bored repeaters can do is stand quietly and set a good example.

This time the drill was different than I remember from last winter. Last time they sounded the alarm and we went to muster stations. This time, they sounded the alarm, and then there was an announcement that they were beginning the drill, and only crew needed at a specific location (source of the problem) would be responding at this time. Passengers should go to their cabins and stay there. Then they sounded the alarm again and explained that passengers should stay in their cabins and await instructions while guides went to their posts. At the third alarm, they said passengers should go to their muster stations. In a real emergency, live vests should be worn. For the drill, they are not worn and are not taken to the drill.

One thing that concerns me is how crowded the deck is (Veendam). And we didn't have the added bulk of the live vests. I wonder how we'd all fit with that added girth?

What I noticed that was different on our muster drill on the Amsterdam last week is that the person who called the cabin numbers had on his cap, Communicator and he spoke English as his primary language.In the past, I had heard passenger complaints that understanding the number called was difficult. Afterwards, I asked the Boat Commander if HAL was going to go to scanning of the cards - he said no. Just reporting.

got off the Westerdam on our Collectors' cruise in May.

There were three segments and yes, those on the Collecotrs' cruise had to go to every muster drill.

Edited by kazu

What I noticed that was different on our muster drill on the Amsterdam last week is that the person who called the cabin numbers had on his cap, Communicator and he spoke English as his primary language.In the past, I had heard passenger complaints that understanding the number called was difficult. Afterwards, I asked the Boat Commander if HAL was going to go to scanning of the cards - he said no. Just reporting.

HAL did scan our room cards on the Zuiderdam in April/May this year. :)

HAL has always had us to report to our lifeboat station for lifeboat drill.

Until the Concordia accident, there was a time when we only had to attend the first lifeboat drill on back-to-back or is what is called on many cruises Collectors Cruises. But that changed and now we have to attend all lifeboat drills.

On our spring Zuiderdam cruises, we all had to scan our ID cards and did not have to listen to names and cabin numbers being called out.

It was still a very long drill -- 1/2 hour.

Was just on Dawn Princess for 17 days, not a B2B although we have been on several Collector's Cruises. Yes, we met in the lounge, rather than at life boats. No problem, but we don't have mobility issues.

Yes, Princess scans cards. Great.

As to having to repeat the life boat drill on B2B. I think we should. For our Princess cruise, there were a fair number who couldn't follow the directions to one life boat drill. Coming late- as much as 15 minutes for several people. Putting on life vest in room, even tho directed not to. Wearing the life vest back to cabin, even tho directed not to...the list goes on.

Repeating the drill is 30 minutes out of your life, safety is important. All ships services are closed, so what else can you do?

Edited by CruiserBruce

So weird question... I have an issue with crowds, I can bring a Dr note if needed. I don't think I will be able to handle standing in a crowd for 20-30 minutes. I did OK for the muster on Princess but we got there late (we were at dinner and the staff kept telling us not to leave yet) and ended up standing in an alcove by one of the exit doors. Do they have any special muster drills for people who are late or have some kind of other medical

issue?

So weird question... I have an issue with crowds, I can bring a Dr note if needed. I don't think I will be able to handle standing in a crowd for 20-30 minutes. I did OK for the muster on Princess but we got there late (we were at dinner and the staff kept telling us not to leave yet) and ended up standing in an alcove by one of the exit doors. Do they have any special muster drills for people who are late or have some kind of other medical

issue?

Weird answer: What would you do in a REAL emergency??

issue?

that is a very good question. They certainly have a special muster for those with disability issues. I don't know if that would be less crowded or not as until you get on board you don't know how many are in that situation, right?

I would be very tempted to call shipboard services and see if they can offer some advice and if you are using a TA or PCC to touch base with them.

If standing off to the side suffices, I think if you tell them you need some air, they will permit it. But again, I would check as best possible.

I am quite sure there are ways around the issue. this can't be the first time that HAL has run across this.

I remember on the Zaandam in 2006 not only did we have a compulsory muster drill at embarkation, we had another muster drill mid-voyage. (It gave everybody something to do on the first sea day back from Hawaii!)

I have no patience for people who treat muster drill as an imposition. There are many good reasons to make muster drills compulsory, each and every time new passengers embark: ensuring that people are genuinely aware of their responsibilities in an emergency; ensuring that people know who else is in their lifeboat, who they can help and who they can turn to for help during an actual emergency.

Perhaps most importantly, muster drill is a drill for the crew, too. When lifeboat commanders and crew have the opportunity to know who is in their boat, how many passengers might require special attention (children, limited mobility) and who the potentially difficult cases are (talkers and whiners) it helps them be better prepared.

The people who say, "I've heard this all before," are very often the same people who are unprepared in a real emergency.

I remember on the Zaandam in 2006 not only did we have a compulsory muster drill at embarkation, we had another muster drill mid-voyage. (It gave everybody something to do on the first sea day back from Hawaii!)

I have no patience for people who treat muster drill as an imposition. There are many good reasons to make muster drills compulsory, each and every time new passengers embark: ensuring that people are genuinely aware of their responsibilities in an emergency; ensuring that people know who else is in their lifeboat, who they can help and who they can turn to for help during an actual emergency.

Perhaps most importantly, muster drill is a drill for the crew, too. When lifeboat commanders and crew have the opportunity to know who is in their boat, how many passengers might require special attention (children, limited mobility) and who the potentially difficult cases are (talkers and whiners) it helps them be better prepared.

The people who say, "I've heard this all before," are very often the same people who are unprepared in a real emergency.

Our Boat Commander on the Amsterdam last week, in my conversation with him, indicated in the future we may have more than one muster drill during a voyage.

The same goes for fire drills at work; repetition of the drills will make it easier to remember what to do when a real emergency happens.

HAL still holds the drills at your lifeboat station. While it's not really needed for most B2B passengers to repeat the drill, it is probably less confusing for the crew than trying to sort out who is OK to not be at the drill.

That is not correct. You now must attend all muster drills on b2b and collector cruises.:(

If something should happen, and the drills were conducted not outside but in a theatre or on TV, people would start complaining that they never actually went to a lifeboatstation.

Be glad HAL does it this way.It is for the safety of everybody on board .It is still a ship after all and things do / can happen. Personally I think it is a nice start of the cruise, I really don't mind standing outside for 20 minutes or so .