Princess Cruises Increases Gratuities

AlaskaGolden

I'm a budget oriented person, so I'm prepaying them now. We still bring extra for our wait staff and steward, as well as some of the servers if we see them regularly, but we can't afford to cruise often and $40 is $40 - if I can save it and pay now, I will! Thanks for the heads up, OP - I totally wouldn't have checked it and then when I went to prepay gratuities before we left I'd be off on my budget.

Can you prepay your gratuities before you pay off your cruise? My January cruise final payment is in November. Can I prepay now?

Yes, we paid our gratuities months ago for our January 2016 cruise. But final payment isn't due until later this month.

We needed a few extra points for an on-board credit on the Princess Rewards Visa card so we paid the gratuities to get the points and then the credit. We just realized we can get another on-board credit after final payment. :D

I have no problem with paying another $1.95 per night. However, I don't think Princess should change the price for people who have already booked.

I agree.

That will be $1.45 for balcony and below 12.50 to 13.95.

I appreciate the info. There are 6 of us cruising in January so it's definitely worth it to prepay.

I know it is not much per day but I have to save and budget for my holiday and this will mean I have pay more....I think I will prepay for my january trip too

Thanks for the heads up Alaska. I spent yesterday organizing my Feb 3rd cruise. I just went ahead and pepaid gratuities. Not trying to be cheap, I always tip room steward and others extra, don't mind the increase in the future. But like someone else said $40 bucks is $40 bucks.

Thanks again.

Happy sailing everybody!

Tammy

Edited by sprinkles
Content

We have a January 10 day cruise coming up, so the increase adds up to $40. Not a big deal, but $40 is $40. I prepaid. Thanks for the info!

Janet

P.S. We always tip extra as determined by the level of service. No worries!;)

Same here. Tipping is not a problem for us.

Just FYI ... I hadn't heard about this increase (I don't have an issue with it) and wanted the "official" word before I prepaid. Here's what's on the Princess website in the Onboard Experience section:

"To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. Effective on voyages departing on or after January 1, 2016, the gratuity charge will be $13.95 per guest for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet."

11% is quite a COLA

It really isn't COLA. It is that on other cruise lines that have a higher auto-tip, crew can receive more compensation. In order for Princess to maintain a crew that is at least equal to crew on other lines, Princess needs to match or better their compensation.

I was worried this day would come after hearing about the big increases on other cruise lines. If they had just increased them by $0.50 or $1.00, I wouldn't even be commenting, but this was a hefty increase.

Hefty? You are kidding, right? The staff works very hard. Prices have gone up everywhere for everything. This is nowhere near "hefty" increase.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Hefty? You are kidding, right? The staff works very hard. Prices have gone up everywhere for everything. This is nowhere near "hefty" increase.

What is "Peanuts" to one person might be "Hefty" to an other. Who are we to decide for other people?

Theo