HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

In reflecting on the announcement, and comparing it to the thousands of press conferences I've attended over the years, I'm going to give Mr. Ashford the benefit of the doubt and say that he was not the originally scheduled speaker. Instead, he was pressed into service at the last moment to replace someone else, thus the need to read from the script, not be sure of the slides, etc.

If, on the other hand, he was the scheduled speaker, well, I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

will not really change our cruising. I expect the new tours will be more expensive and we don't take that many since we usually sail the Caribbean and have been to most of the islands several times. The new Logo won't affect us as well. We just like HAL as a cruise company with adult policies. Could someone post the new logo so I can see it. Missed it in the presentation.

If they included X4 on all the cruises as part of the price I think that would be an incentive to cruise with HAL. The non drinkers could use it for water, soft drinks and coffee.

In reflecting on the announcement, and comparing it to the thousands of press conferences I've attended over the years, I'm going to give Mr. Ashford the benefit of the doubt and say that he was not the originally scheduled speaker. Instead, he was pressed into service at the last moment to replace someone else, thus the need to read from the script, not be sure of the slides, etc.

If, on the other hand, he was the scheduled speaker, well, I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Maybe you're right but he is the boss and he is responsible for the presentation one way or the other. Personally I think most of what he announced falls in the "so what" or "whatever" category so I don't envy anybody trying to make the announcements real exciting. Actually I don't envy anybody in the cruise industry who is trying to carve out a niche in basically the mass market even if in the higher end of that market.

Edited by Randyk47

What most people fail to realize is that most organizational rebranding and change is done at the behest of, and for the benefit of, the business card people.** I know what you are thinking - but businesses rebrand all the time. This is true. But big companies also go through reorganizations on a regular basis. These reorganizations and brand exercises rarely pay big dividends, especially the reorgs. The only person who gets paid every time is the business card vendor. That's right. Big Stationery. And you didn't even notice it.

**You might think I'm making this up, but if you've worked for a big company, and you have/had cards, take a look at how many different business cards you have. Odds are that you have several where your name, your address, and even your phone number & extension are the same. The only difference is the name of your business organizational unit.

The announcement yesterday was very disappointing from the dress of the president and of the presenters, the inept a/v presentation, and to the content of this major announcement. IMHO, the Afar and UTrip affiliation will not be a changing factor for those looking at HAL for the first time. I agree that putting money into a new logo is misplaced especially when there are other pressing matters (plumbing, updating, reinstating dining steward numbers so dining is what it used to be, etc.). At least there was nothing in this new announcement that greatly impacted or changed cruising as my DH and I enjoy it.

We are two cruisers who are dedicated to the HAL way of cruising and like the ambiance, the serene setting, the wonderful libraries, the beautiful artwork and antiques. We aren't looking for offerings that can be had on land (water slides, rock climbing, etc.) but rather a way to unwind and enjoy the ocean, the ports and lectures that pertain to ports and their history (without the "shopping" segment).

I love the new color scheme on the Koningsdam of the blues, greys and the clean lines. The browns and oranges have gotten really old. We are booked on the Koningsdam in July and look forward to experiencing it.

Do you think so? I'm not being sarcastic here...

The Half Moon was an exploration vessel... probably not ALL that different than the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria... The ship had ZERO connection to the Holland America Line BRAND other than Hudson and the ship were Dutch and so is HAL...

Had it been the Rotterdam I (HAL's first ship) that would be a different story IMO

I think you're splitting hairs here, and I totally disagree that it had nothing to do with the brand. No, the Half Moon was not a HAL ship. But I don't think a blue haired witch started Princess Cruises. I don't think Royal Caribbean was started by a man wearing a crown.

It's about the symbolism that lends to the brand of HAL. Henry Hudson and his connection to Nieuw Amsterdam are part of HAL's brand.

What most people fail to realize is that most organizational rebranding and change is done at the behest of, and for the benefit of, the business card people.** I know what you are thinking - but businesses rebrand all the time. This is true. But big companies also go through reorganizations on a regular basis. These reorganizations and brand exercises rarely pay big dividends, especially the reorgs. The only person who gets paid every time is the business card vendor. That's right. Big Stationery. And you didn't even notice it.

**You might think I'm making this up, but if you've worked for a big company, and you have/had cards, take a look at how many different business cards you have. Odds are that you have several where your name, your address, and even your phone number & extension are the same. The only difference is the name of your business organizational unit.

LOL! And the people who print letterhead. I worked for a company that was merged with another company. OUr name was simple. To protect the innocent (???) I'll use numbers. WE were One Two. They were simply Three.

Every week there was another memo about what our corporate name would be:

One, Two, and Three

One, Two & Three

One, Two, Three

One-Two-Three

One Two Three

How much high-paid executive time was wasted on this??? There were more options, but that's all I can remember, and I don't remember which version "won." Ironically, four years later, they were swallowed by another company and it all was moot.

Here you go ...

Amazed that they are going to make this fairly minor change to the logo - at a HUGE cost. Worked at a Fortune 500 company who changed their logo and the cost for just new stationary printing plates was $75,000 and this was 20 years ago. What a waste of money - wish they would replace AC's, plumbing, etc

I think you're splitting hairs here, and I totally disagree that it had nothing to do with the brand. No, the Half Moon was not a HAL ship. But I don't think a blue haired witch started Princess Cruises. I don't think Royal Caribbean was started by a man wearing a crown.

It's about the symbolism that lends to the brand of HAL. Henry Hudson and his connection to Nieuw Amsterdam are part of HAL's brand.

And they have chosen to carry forward the part of the last symbol that directly ties to their fleet. While I think the new logo should have maybe reflected the lines of a more modern HAL ship the Nieuw Amsterdam II is one of - if not THE - greatest ship HAL ever had.

Had they changed to an abstract symbol or maybe a funky arrangement of "H A L" it would have been horrible.

No matter how anyone thinks about the logo everyone is pretty much in agreement here that it was designed to symbolize a forward momentum and outlook (even if there is difference of opinion on how successful it is) and frankly... removing a 17th century sailing vessel from the logo of a company not founded in the 17th century does, indeed, move the logo "forward" in time.

And they have chosen to carry forward the part of the last symbol that directly ties to their fleet. While I think the new logo should have maybe reflected the lines of a more modern HAL ship the Nieuw Amsterdam II is one of - if not THE - greatest ship HAL ever had.

Had they changed to an abstract symbol or maybe a funky arrangement of "H A L" it would have been horrible.

No matter how anyone thinks about the logo everyone is pretty much in agreement here that it was designed to symbolize a forward momentum and outlook (even if there is difference of opinion on how successful it is) and frankly... removing a 17th century sailing vessel from the logo of a company not founded in the 17th century does, indeed, move the logo "forward" in time.

I won't argue that. Like I said earlier, I like the new logo without the HM. The new logo, while more modern, is actually reminiscent of the flyers for old time ocean liners.

But I still respect the history of the brand and the symbolism behind it.

Exactly how many present or, even more importantly, potential new cruisers does HAL think a new slightly modified logo will entice to book a HAL cruise? I would think exactly Zero, if anyone even notices the change. Pax won't notice cutbacks on the ships because they love the new logo? They have lost their minds.

I agree.

Exactly how many present or, even more importantly, potential new cruisers does HAL think a new slightly modified logo will entice to book a HAL cruise? I would think exactly Zero, if anyone even notices the change. Pax won't notice cutbacks on the ships because they love the new logo? They have lost their minds.

I agree. Honestly, while I have taken many HAL cruises I have never paid any attention to the logo. While the BBC Earth partnership sounds interesting, unless it improves the enrichment presentations on the ships, I will care less about that, too. I care about the quality of life while on the cruise ship - whether my A/C works and if the food shows up hot when it's supposed to be hot, among a few other things. If the "new and improved HAL" doesn't meet those expectations I'm gone. And I'm not sure if the new partnerships will encourage anyone to take my place.

We are not married to any one cruise line. We have cruised on many of them.

Never, not once, have we booked a cruise based on the cruise line logo. In fact, we never really knew any of the logos until we actually boarded the ship.

Our decision is based on other factors. Logos do not enter the equation. Nor do suite upgrades that are targeted to a minority of cruisers. We are much more interesting in offerings, price, and condition of the ship.

Exactly, I totally agree. There are just way too many things that need to be replaced or fixed on the HAL ships the money spent for this was extremely foolish in my opinion. I am hearing of yet another ship with diesel fuel smells (I am aware of two ships that have this continuing problem) because of a fuel tank leak that HAL is not fixing and numerous plumbing and a/c issues on many of their ships. I have heard that they do not have the funds allocated to fix these ships and that money that was thought to be allocated was spent for something else...hmmmmm guess we found out what it was.

There continues to be cut back on crew. They are expecting to have Koningsdam operate smoothly with less crew than the Signature Class with three more Restaurants and Three more bars. But 40 Million was spend on what we heard about yesterday.

Maybe it is bad thing for myself and DH to know personally may that work on the ship and know some of the inner workings. We are not naive passengers we are well aware what is going on. Last night Tom and I discussed this. We have spent 95% of our cruising time on HAL and basically always thought it would be our Home Away from Home. Our Go To Cruise line. We have seen the changes over the years but thought they would turn themselves around. Tom's words were and mine too is basically we feel betrayed. I know of several crew that have quit. Even a Bartender I am friended with on Facebook is going to RCCL. As well as a Very Good Hotel Director very recently resigned.

HAL truly needed to FIX many things before they wasted the money they did on something that no one will truly notice.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

I have not followed this bread with bated breath as I doubted any significant news would be announced. HAL remains a middlin mass market line that has eroded in food quality, service and ship condition.

Much ado about nothing.

I laughed about the logo changes, I worked for several Fortune 500 companies and they frequently rebranded and changed catch phrases and logos. It was smoke and mirror, new templates were loaded consistent with the rebranding.

Most recently I worked from home but was required to log into these types of corporate meetings. I would use the time to catch up on work projects as I knew there was no need to listen closely.

I am not saying that we would book a cruise based on the line's logo, but whoever thinks logos are not that important might want to consider these few examples ...

Sorry but HAL will never be in those leagues of "Designer" Those are Status symbols. HAL has fallen more in the lines of K-Mart. :(

No, I don't think so, but on the TV on the show yesterday showed the Nieuw Amsterdam... with her two funnels. Perhaps yesterday it should have shown an image of KONINGSDAM.

That maybe the case. The slide I saw, showed Koningsdam and a newbuild in one picture, one of which had two funnels. Odd :confused:

At the Q&A at the end someone asked if there was any news about wi-fi and high speed internet. Mr Ashford responded "That will be another announcement another day" (I paraphrased- is close though)

It was said here that during their meeting employees heard about many more upcoming enhancements and changes. Perhaps they would have been better served to discuss things that would excite existing customers and give people a reason to move over to HAL. the "show" yesterday was not inexpensive- I just can't help but think they wasted a lot of money

We book a shore excursion if it looks interesting to us- we don't need to have a lot more info than what we already see online or on board. I wonder how much HAL is paying BBC and the other two for their content?

I know I'm repeating myself but "Too little too late" keeps coming to mind. Companies normally re-invent to keep up with the competition. New colors and furnishings in suites are nice but take a look at what other lines are offering those that book the top tiers of suites.

LOL! And the people who print letterhead. I worked for a company that was merged with another company. OUr name was simple. To protect the innocent (???) I'll use numbers. WE were One Two. They were simply Three.

Every week there was another memo about what our corporate name would be:

One, Two, and Three

One, Two & Three

One, Two, Three

One-Two-Three

One Two Three

How much high-paid executive time was wasted on this??? There were more options, but that's all I can remember, and I don't remember which version "won." Ironically, four years later, they were swallowed by another company and it all was moot.

Thanks. After I posted that l was afraid that the joke might have sailed.

As a result of yesterday's announcements regarding AFAR, UTRIP, and BBC Earth as well as Wednesday's announcement that Carnival will commit two ships to the Chinese market ... CCL reached it's annual high this morning.

This may be the "Uncharted territory" ... the stock price at it's highest level since 2004 and, with another dollar per share, will be the highest ever. A place where the stock "has never gone before".:):)

Forget attracting new customers, this is how a company really makes money.:eek:

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000